Marvin L Sims reissue/boot?

Trying to find out about the copy of Marvin L Sims "Danger/Get off my back" in the pic. I picked it up in Amsterdam yesterday.

I'm presuming it to be a reissue. Can anyone confirm? 

Marvin-L-Sims.jpg

For the sake of clarity, I should say that the pic attached actually comes from Discogs and is identical to the one I have.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

That CAN'T be an original US pressing.  That HAD to have been made in a different country, but why isn't Universal or whatever manufacturer made it in that country listed on the label border, and why isn't the country listed, as well?  It has the US catalogue and pressing numbers, but I don't think it was pressed in USA before I left in 1972.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive never seen this format in UK although it could be Dutch indeed as you picked it up there. The colour is sometimes off with their issues, or Im thinking African perhaps as a long shot. No other photos about, whats in the deadwax, is it vinyl or styrene I guessing vinyl, the centre hole looksa little rough cut.

Edited by bonhsoulie
Social source share

1 hour ago, bonhsoulie said:

Ive never seen this format in UK although it could be Dutch indeed as you picked it up there. The colour is sometimes off with their issues, or Im thinking African perhaps as a long shot. No other photos about, whats in the deadwax, is it vinyl or styrene I guessing vinyl, the centre hole looksa little rough cut.

First thought was that it is a Dutch release, and perhaps it is. After all, the label is in the traditional orange colour associated with Artone, which released so many great 45s here. Against that though is the point Robb makes - that there's no country of manufacture given. On top of that the mechanical rights organisation is given as BMI rather than the usual Dutch ones of Stemra and Buma.

This was released in the Netherlands on MCA, but that release is on the black/rainbow label design, which came in from 1973 onwards. My thinking then is that they'd only put out something like this in the early to mid 70s as a reissue, meaning it did get issued over here in the 60s. However, I've seen no evidence of that - unless this is it.

One possibility could be that it's a bootleg pressed for the Suriname market, something not uncommon what with that country once upon a time being a territory of the Netherlands, and one with a huge appetite all of its own for sweet soul, and with interest being in the flip side "Danger". Certainly record shops here are awash with sweet soul 45s from Suriname collectors and DJs who eagerly covered up names and titles of artists and songs - just as the Northern scene did/does - to ensure tunes remained exclusive to the owner. 

That said, I can't be certain about this theory at all.

3 hours ago, RobbK said:

That CAN'T be an original US pressing.  That HAD to have been made in a different country, but why isn't Universal or whatever manufacturer made it in that country listed on the label border, and why isn't the country listed, as well?  It has the US catalogue and pressing numbers, but I don't think it was pressed in USA before I left in 1972.

MCA, Robb… and as you say, no country of manufacture given, which, for now, adds to the mystery as outlined above.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Information received from a magnificently helpful source with universally superior knowledge than mine posits that this is indeed a Dutch press put out with the "Danger" flip in mind, although whether legit or not, they advise, is unknown. They further offer that any legit release (prior to the post-73 MCA reissue) would have been "pressed on MCA or another Decca subsidiary", which affirms with greater clarity what I thought.

So, Dutch market in mind, possibly, and if so, likely the Suriname sweet soul market specifically.

Fascinating!

Social source share

5 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Information received from a magnificently helpful source with universally superior knowledge than mine posits that this is indeed a Dutch press put out with the "Danger" flip in mind, although whether legit or not, they advise, is unknown. They further offer that any legit release (prior to the post-73 MCA reissue) would have been "pressed on MCA or another Decca subsidiary", which affirms with greater clarity what I thought.

So, Dutch market in mind, possibly, and if so, likely the Suriname sweet soul market specifically.

Fascinating!

Coolectively, we, here at Soul-Source are a very knowledgeable group when it comes to Soul music!  If SOMEONE here can't answer the question, there''s a good chance that NO ONE can!.  Imagine........ I reside in The Netherlands, but never imagined a Dutch bootlegger would press up Sweet Soul records for The Surinååmse  Sweet Soul Scene, onto the wrong label, but one that would be the correct label in some other countries!  I'm glad I only collect US and Canadian issues, as there is too much out there to learn regarding other Worldwide releases that I couldn't possibly fit into my memory storage area.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, trev thomas said:

just to add to the confusion, i had one of these sent over from jamaica a couple of years ago

A number of Caribbean islands still have close ties to the Netherlands, of course, just as Suriname does, so reckon it's highly plausible copies might have reached other islands as well. Love it!

Social source share

On 22.10.2016 at 12:01, Russell Gilbert said:

A number of Caribbean islands still have close ties to the Netherlands, of course, just as Suriname does, so reckon it's highly plausible copies might have reached other islands as well. Love it!

More likely they collect the same records. There are jamaican collectors after that  deep-ish beat ballad-ish sound, they called it end of the pier sounds or something like that.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2016 at 03:01, Russell Gilbert said:

I have no doubt about this.  I'm sure a press run of bootlegs would be made not only with the Surinaamse Sweet Soul collectors residing in The Netherlands in mind, but also sales in The Caribbean (both Dutch-speaking and non-Dutch speaking islands).

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!