Heywood Civic

Paulb

Three of us went to heywood civic hall last sat. The plan was to spend a couple of hours there and then head off to goldbourne niter. The heywood night was advertised as a mod night playing northern, motown and mod sounds. We thought it would be a good place to start off our night. How wrong we were.

Upon our arrival we paid the steep admission of £6 (only on till 1am!!!) and made our way inside. The music they were playing was nothing short of school disco. Build me up buttercup, disco inferno, chain reaction, northern or motown.... i dont think so.

We stayed for one drink then went to ask for a refund because the night had been falsely advertised and we had forked out a steep £6 for this shower of shite.

The people on the door couldn't have been more unhelpful and downright rude. They told us there was no chance of a refund because we had been in there for "hours", when we had only been in 15mins tops. We explained in a polite manner that we thought it was a northern/motown night and we had travelled from mcr under false pretences. We were basically told to sling our hooks and that it was on the scenes fault, not there's. We decided not to kick up a fuss and simply left with our pockets a little lighter.

Two of us are in our 20's and big northern fans, but the joker on the door thought he could take the piss telling us that chain reaction was infact motown and we didn't know what we were on about!!!

So if anyone is thinking of attending this night, i would strongly recommend you dont bother and let these money grabbers dwell in there own inferno of shite music!

:sleep3::yes:

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Chris Waterman

Hi mate

I will let everybody know to stay away from this place...See you on Sat...

link

Hi Steve and Paul,

Just a note of caution.

I have been to the Heywood Civic on a Friday which is run by different promoters and found the music to be spot on, I think they have Soul Sam and Tommy Potts there soon.

I can't comment on the Saturday promotion but would recommend Heywood Civic on the 1st Friday of the month

Regards

Chris W

Edited by Chris Waterman

This was a monthly night i think. dont want to upset anyone else who has a night there!

Roll on sat night. Cant bloody wait.

link

yep did a dig

got this from rochdale council site

here's info from rochdale mbc page

Saturday 20 November 2004 - Motown Night

Organised by Heywood Civic Centre

Motown Night, featuring all the best in Tamla Motown, Soul, R&B and Reggae.

Venue: Heywood Civic Centre, Church Street

Time: 8 pm

Price: £5 or pay on the door

Bookings through: 01706 624104

Enquiries: 01706 624104

Dis Fare

Friday 3 December 2004 - Northern Soul Nite

Late bar available.

Price: £4 before 9 pm £5 after 9 pm on the door

Dis Fare

yep did a dig

got this from rochdale council site

here's info from rochdale mbc page

Saturday 20 November 2004 - Motown Night

Motown Night, featuring all the best in Tamla Motown, Soul, R&B and Reggae.

Price: £5 or pay on the door

Dis Fare

Friday 3 December 2004 - Northern Soul Nite

Late bar available.

Price: £4 before 9 pm £5 after 9 pm on the door

Dis Fare

link

This night could have that northern soul bingo calling i was reading about on a post the other day..I could see Janine up ther now..."wigans gone 81"..anymore????

I went with Paul and Matt on Saturday and we asked what the deal was musicwise before we went in and they confirmed what On the Scene said in the ad so we paid up. Then when we asked for the cash back they completely contradicted themselves and said it was just a "Motown" night and On the Scene(OTS) had got it wrong. Wouldn't mind but we even saw a flyer in the place advertising that same event in exactly the same way as OTS. Thing is though they were just really rude to us,wasn't so much the money. Plus I got flashed off a a bloody speed camera on the way there so I was even more annoyed we'd wasted the journey.

Golborne was brill anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I'm Paul B's Dad.

Anyone out there know Kev and Bev Parker from Burnley, get down the Kestrel Suite in Burnley 28th December, 8-1.30.

It will be their last appearance at a northern do before they emigrate. Roman, John Atkinson and guests are playing.

Kev and Bev have been there from 72 onwards. Kev is going to be a sad loss here, but wait until he takes his records to the Adelaide venues!!

Re: Paul's comments on Heywood. I think its poor that kids new to northern are getting treated in this way. Knowing his financial situation as well as I do!! I know how much it costs them relative to us workers to attend these do's.

Sorry to pinch your page Paul. Where's my bloody white UK demo of Back in my arms again?? I want to give it Kev before he leaves.

Finally, how good are Tangeers Let My Heart and Soul be free, and Lorraine Chandler What Can I Do. Sold my Tangeers for a fiver!!!!!!!!!

Brian Barker

Hiya Brian, I'm Reg Paul's mate who he usually bags a lift off most weekends. He's texted me to ask me to tell you "you're in bother"......think he's concerned you'll damage his impeccable reputation by not using enough angry smilies in postings... :thumbsup::thumbsup: very nice to meet u :thumbsup:

Spoke to Stan Evans on Friday at the Northern Night (with Sam-Brilliant!!).Saturday's are a Handbag night put on by Stan and Clarance and are completly seperate thing to the 1st Friday.If you are heading to Golborne Allnighters can I suggest the Great Stone Hotel in Streford.See event guide.

Pete.

Spoke to Stan Evans on Friday at the Northern Night (with Sam-Brilliant!!).Saturday's are a Handbag night put on by Stan and Clarance and are completly seperate thing to the 1st Friday.If you are heading to Golborne Allnighters can I suggest the Great Stone Hotel in Streford.See event guide.

Pete.

link

Hi all

Just to let everyone know Golborne nighters is on 18th December and the one in Jan is the 8th then back to 3rd Saturday of the month

If you've' not bee its a great club with a friendly welcome £5 in, cheap beer and flippin good music.Give it a go! :thumbsup:

I'll just chuck my hat in here as Heywood is my "local" where I can have a few pints and walk home :thumbsup:

1st Friday is straight ahead Northern Night, a bit heavy on the oldies, but usually with a good guest to widen the mix.

The Saturday do's started as a Motown and mixed soul night where you could take the missus,if she's not fully committed to Northern, and have a reasonable night out.

They used to be every 3 months but have now gone monthly and definately lost the plot.

If you're still looking for a warm up do for 3rd Sat. allnighters watch this space, Live It Up! will be back in January :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers

Tony

Hi Steve and Paul,

Just a note of caution.

I have been to the Heywood Civic on a Friday which is run by different promoters and found the music to be spot on, I think they have Soul Sam and Tommy Potts there soon.

I can't comment on the Saturday promotion but would recommend Heywood Civic on the 1st Friday of the month

Regards

Chris W

Affraid i wont be there on this night. Since booking the spot i've moved to another country, got married, brought a dog... etc :thumbsup: So looks like Sam's giving a 2 hour special.

The last time (couple of times?) i DJed there, i had a great time. And from what i could make out so did everyone else.

To those of you who are going, i hope you have a great time!

Hi mate

I will let everybody know to stay away from this place...See you on Sat...

link

Ok Tommy

Thats the good side of these forums to keep things real..Look forward to a night at Heywood Civic all niter in the near future....Paul from onscene should take away the listing for that other handbag night if its not correct...Peace and good will...

steve....