Sold on you - Bright Star

Chris L

1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Is it Johnny Moore on the Coronadas version as well? Sounds like it to me

We only played it on a portable record player in a hall with lots of noise so was tough to really hear. They play the Class Mates version over here a Popcorn choon

Social source share

10 hours ago, tlscapital said:

Totally same lead; Johnny Moore with indeed the kids chorus. The Class Mate is the local issue and re-baptized as the Coronadas for the Atlantic national distribution release.

I seem to remember also having The Coronadas on a local Chicago plant pressing (same plant as Classmates), not the Monarch L.A. pressing shown above, and I seem to remember it not being distributed by Atlantic.  I'll have to check it when I get home.

Social source share

1 hour ago, RobbK said:

I seem to remember also having The Coronadas on a local Chicago plant pressing (same plant as Classmates), not the Monarch L.A. pressing shown above, and I seem to remember it not being distributed by Atlantic.  I'll have to check it when I get home.

The one I saw also different no vertical stripes.

Social source share

12 hours ago, tlscapital said:

Totally same lead; Johnny Moore with indeed the kids chorus. The Class Mate is the local issue and re-baptized as the Coronadas for the Atlantic national distribution release.

I'd even say it's the same backing as the Johnny Moore release.

I clearly remember Richard Searling on one of his radio shows saying something like "I went through 1000s of records in the States but I never came across this one". And played the Johnny Moore release. Stuck in my head ever since. Fantastic record. Whatever version.

Social source share

On 26 octobre 2016 at 22:02, RobbK said:

Hi Robb, please let us know when you do ! Appreciated.

Social source share

On 27 octobre 2016 at 17:29, Paul Dunn said:

The Coronadas and Classmates are same recording but slightly different mix, love the flip You can do me some good

Hi Paul, I don't think it's another "mix" but rather a re-mastering work for the pressing plant. In your case the Pennsylvania pressing plant (see the PL extension on the matrix). I had the Class-Mates then got the Coronadas on the SP pressing (Speciality pressing plant). These two are very-very close sound-wise. Where the PL and the Monarchs pressings, also going through their own mastering phase to do their pressing accordingly, tend to sound rather different I agree. The PL are harsher and the Monarchs deeper and the SP smoother.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!