Harold Melvin And The Bluenotes

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

who likes this band because i have some of there albums from 70's and love the band but wonder if any songs on the albums would be Northern. I know of Get Out and let me cry but there are some good stuff on these albums from 1976 and few years before. have about 4 in total.

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

who likes this band because i have some of there albums from 70's and love the band but wonder if any songs on the albums would be Northern. I know of Get Out and let me cry but there are some good stuff on these albums from 1976 and few years before. have about 4 in total.

don't leave me this way, was big along side the thelma houston version back around 1976,

the love i lost and satisfaction guaranteed are philly soul epitomised.

bad luck is a cracking bit of soul, any any teddy p. stuff is quality, life is a song worth singing vocal and instrumental getting spins back in the day.

obviously all quality philly soul but having fantastic production and arrangement and being 70s releases, they don't exist and are not permitted to be mentioned, they were never played at any venue accor :sleep3: ding to the annals of our scene and the saxon chronicle, and indeed are a figment of my imagination whistling.gif:shades:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I bought the Love I Lost off Dave Thorley at a Stroud Alldayer when I was about 13 or 14.

And still enjoy hearing it now I'm just a little older.

Social source share

don't leave me this way, was big along side the thelma houston version back around 1976,

bad luck is a cracking bit of soul, any any teddy p. stuff is quality, life is a song worth singing vocal and instrumental getting spins back in the day.

obviously all quality philly soul but having fantastic production and arrangement and being 70s releases, they don't exist and are not permitted to be mentioned, they were never played at any venue accor :sleep3: ding to the annals of our scene and the saxon chronicle, and indeed are a figment of my imagination whistling.gif:shades:

The Love I Lost, was a monster tune at Yate.

We were lucky enough to get them along to do Stafford, by that time Ebo was the lead singer. Just the dogs nuts and one of the best nites at Stafford, over 1500 in to see them, the whole nite was madness

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Pop records Lee :shades: is "spread love" H Melvin + the Blue notes,if so huh.gif its brill,hope your well Lee,had some good times when you were resident at "the north pole".

Social source share

yep, think they are great.

I think we are probably all guilty of getting carried away with rarity etc, but as said it don't really get much better the Love I Lost for philly soul. superb.

I like there version of Everybodys Talking too, infact i like most of there stuff and as a added bonus the missus loves it so I can always say

'brought that one for you love' thumbsup.gif

Edited by Adrian
Social source share

Guest soul_hull

I bought the Love I Lost off Dave Thorley at a Stroud Alldayer when I was about 13 or 14.

And still enjoy hearing it now I'm just a little older.

ive heard dave thorley play this track out, few years back.

Social source share

Any one know the story behind the name Harold melvin & the blue notes? always wanted to know why it wasn't Teddy P and the blue notes, wasn't Harold the drumer or guitarist or summin like that?

Social source share

Any one know the story behind the name Harold melvin & the blue notes? always wanted to know why it wasn't Teddy P and the blue notes, wasn't Harold the drumer or guitarist or summin like that?

Teddy Pendergrass was the drummer when recruited in 1970, later to become lead singer.

Harold Melvin was lead singer and founding member alongside Bernad Williams, Roosevelt Brodie, Jesse Gillis, Jr., and Franklin Peaker.

Bernard Williams left to form a group called The Original Bluenotes who as we know recorded for Harthon and was also if memory serves me right the lead on the Victors "Hurt".

Social source share

Teddy Pendergrass was the drummer when recruited in 1970, later to become lead singer.

Harold Melvin was lead singer and founding member alongside Bernad Williams, Roosevelt Brodie, Jesse Gillis, Jr., and Franklin Peaker.

Ah i knew there was summing about the drummer, got me self all mixed up there

Cheers for info thumbsup.gif

Social source share

See bottom of the flyer, Ben E King and the Drifters. Never turned up and on my birthday and all. Not one of my more happy memories

Not one of mine either,had me record collection robbed,got bakc from Stafford and found me front door kikced in,in York.

Social source share

"Spread love" was Al Hudson and the Soul Partners...classic stuff with probably the longest intro known to man! biggrin.gif

Hippo.

Yep longest intro but so good! Ive still managed to keep that one!

Edited by hertssoulgirl
Social source share

Pop records Lee :P is "spread love" H Melvin + the Blue notes,if so :sleep3: its brill,hope your well Lee,had some good times when you were resident at "the north pole".

oooh ya' monkey,

spread loves al hudson mucker, again one of my fave 70s chooooooooons, got the album and 7"

eeh the north pole back in the 80s eh, the finest thing to hit islington whistling.gif:shades:

seriously i've got such fond memories of those days, sadly some of the faces no longer about.

i had some real reality checks and come down nights there especially some saturday nights after doing leighton buzzard the night before.

and your engaement do, setting the old double decks up in your lounge :D

harking back to those halcion days ken, i was only talking last night (post stoke next day drivel chat) and mick summers name croped up, whatever happened to him / is he still about do you know?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lady Maverick

Let Me Into Your World - harold melvin and the bluenotes - pir

11019 refosoul

B-side to IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW...recorded from my vinyl 45.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

We were lucky enough to get them along to do Stafford, by that time Ebo was the lead singer. Just the dogs nuts and one of the best nites at Stafford, over 1500 in to see them, the whole nite was madness

Were they on at the Oddfellows Leicester as well? I remember standing at the front of the stage during an unbelivably emotional version of 'Dont leave me this way' In what's left of my memory from those days i'd always assumed it was Leicester. Maybe it was Stafford after all.... :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert