supremes stoned love (long version)

Eatoboss

I have this. It is on Red Vynil. The red Vynil copy has the long and short intro on it. I have three of these in the last three years. I had mint minus one which I sold and now regret (pictured below). The one I have now is vg+

The black vynil demo demo is the short version only. There is a copy on yesteryear as well but the red Vynil demo is the one to have?

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

Edited by jim g
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

£50 - 100, depending entirely on condition of vinyl, but also on label, as most went to radio stations and we all know that those guys were a pain for scribbling all over the WDJ labels.
The Yesteryear reissue 45 can be bought for next to nothing 25-30 for a minter.
The full effect can be found on the album, which I believe it was first played out on the scene from, but playing it from that source does require a little DJ skill, as it blends through the previous track. Sounds great in full blown stereo though !
(seem to remember it turned up on another issue from a different country, can't recall which?)

Social source share

6 hours ago, eatoboss said:

Rory, can I just ask you how much I would be looking at paying fr something like that ....

They go for £50 to £100. Ironically because it an easy to get record as a general release the value is a lot less than perhaps it should be for the rare demo. It is a lot harder to track down than many big ticket items. I have bought three in the last 5 years. Sold two and kept one. I a, the hunt for another.

Most people have never even seen it or are aware of its existence on the red Vynil. I love it as it was the first soul record I ever bought.

Edited by jim g
Social source share

But that reissue TMG 1046 was struck from the TMG 760 masters, so it's exactly the same version, i.e. the short version, NOT the Long Version that eatoboss is asking about in the original question. The short version on 45 runs approx 2:49, and the long version runs 3:43. The true Full Length version on the album (New Ways But Love Stays) runs approx 4 mins, depending on how you cue it in. It's what happens in that extra minute plus that makes this special imho.
The popularity of this LONG version can be tracked back to Blue Max's venue in Essington, Broad Lane Club, couldn't put a date to it, guessing twenty years ago. Prior to that no one would have considered playing the bog standard version at a northern venue because it was always classed as a Pop record and hence not playable. 
At least I'd never heard anybody play it out in that version before that. 

Social source share

This is the Original long intro version, exactly the same as Red vinyl US, but on US Motown Yesteryear ...

https://motownsound.co.uk/search/Stoned_Love

447supremesSL-YY2.jpg

There's also a Long Intro version with a light synthesizer backgound over the song, although this also has an extra Sax break (US Collectibles 45)

... and also a version without the Long intro but with a Sax break in middle .... and also a version with Long intro and No Sax (again with synthesizer) both on LPs.

That covers all 4 possible variations.

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

This is the Original long intro version, exactly the same as Red vinyl US, but on US Motown Yesteryear ...

https://motownsound.co.uk/search/Stoned_Love

447supremesSL-YY2.jpg

(There' also a Long Intro version with a light synthesizer backgound over the song, (US Collectibles 45)

... and also a version without the intro but with a Sax break in middle .... and also a version with both Long intro and Sax break (again with synthesizer) both on LPs.

Cheers
Mick

Unless I'm mistaken the collectables one is same length in time as the box standard one, so has it been edited to fit in the long intro ? 

Dave 

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Dave West said:

Unless I'm mistaken the collectables one is same length in time as the box standard one, so has it been edited to fit in the long intro ? 

Dave 

Sorry, just checked, The Collectibles has the long intro AND the sax break, with Synthesized background, and times in at 4:09

The Long into WITHOUT Sax is on both Red Vinyl Orig and Yesteryear Reiss - these time in at 3:43 (as printed on Red Vinyl label)

(The labels on the Yesteryear and Collectibles are presumably typos, just carried forward from a standard version.)

Both of the other variations are on different LPs (have ammended orig post)

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 11/2/2016 at 11:45, Mick Holdsworth said:

Sorry, just checked, The Collectibles has the long intro AND the sax break, with Synthesized background, and times in at 4:09

The Long into WITHOUT Sax is on both Red Vinyl Orig and Yesteryear Reiss - these time in at 3:43 (as printed on Red Vinyl label)

(The labels on the Yesteryear and Collectibles are presumably typos, just carried forward from a standard version.)

Both of the other variations are on different LPs (have ammended orig post)

Cheers
Mick

The one I have on collectables is 2.49? and still has the long intro

2017-09-19 17.24.18.jpg

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Photo added
Social source share

I prefer the shorter version , think the long version puts a different complexion on it that dosent sit well with me , maybe it s because i had heard the   released version for over 40 years before i heard it .   Saw the Supremes  perform this live at   Manchester Odeon  in 1971  and those  opening words" Stoned love" stick with me to this day , cant for the life of me recall a spoken intro on that performance , but there may well have been .

Social source share

• 8 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!