News: Double Exposure's Jimmy Williams RIP

Mike

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Carl Dixon

Very sad news indeed. Jimmy was lead singer longer with The Trammps than he was performing live with Double Exposure. It is he on the 'Hold back the night' with KWS in 1993! Double Exposure featured on a session I did with Bobby Eli in 2008. We released 'Soul Recession' as a result of that session and was pleased to be asked whether it could be also included on the 'Tom Moulton Philly re-grooved 3' double CD. It was of course and it featured adjacent to tracks that influenced me as a teenager in Hull to ultimately make me become a song writer. The best memory of the vocal overdub in the studio was Jimmys mobile phone going off in the middle of a great  take. The ad libs he does are fabulous. They are not written down. He makes the song come alive with soul. It is such a shame no UK promoter brought them over here. They went back to performing because of our session. They thought nobody wanted them anymore until Bobby rang them about coming into the studio top record our co write with Chiquita Green. If you want to see them rehearsing in the studio to 'Soul Recession' before any vocals laid down, go here:-

The Grooveyard studio Philly 2008 - Double Exposure/MFSB musicians

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

They did not like that locker room photo. Also they hated re-mixes. They gave their hearts and soul to an original song in the studio, to see it then bastardised in some form or other. They were old school. A song is a song - not something cut up and spun around. If OVO is to vinyl, they were OSO - original song only ha ha.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Carl Dixon said:

They did not like that locker room photo. Also they hated re-mixes. They gave their hearts and soul to an original song in the studio, to see it then bastardised in some form or other. They were old school. A song is a song - not something cut up and spun around. If OVO is to vinyl, they were OSO - original song only ha ha.

I can understand why, the front cover is okay, but the back cover's a bit tasteless.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!