Glenda Mcloed - No Stranger To Love

John Reed

I've been on a real 80's kick, since buying again and I thought this was a great record when I first heard Ian Clark play it.

You see the re-presses around quite cheaply, but can anyone give me more information on the original.

How many known copies are there, will I have to sell my house to get one or will I ever get one?

What are the differences between the original and the re-press.

Many thanks,

John

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I've been on a real 80's kick, since buying again and I thought this was a great record when I first heard Ian Clark play it.

You see the re-presses around quite cheaply, but can anyone give me more information on the original.

How many known copies are there, will I have to sell my house to get one or will I ever get one?

What are the differences between the original and the re-press.

Many thanks,

John

I`ve got one i might sell,re-press you got me worried now unsure.gif no you wont have to sell youre house,i`ll do a straight swop :shades:

Social source share

Isn't the orig a red lable, very few copys if i remeber right

Yep!!,had it a few years now,what kind of price,oh wise one(Baz),see if its worth floggin` tongue.gif

Social source share

Yep!!,had it a few years now,what kind of price,oh wise one(Baz),see if its worth floggin` :shades:

aint got a clue, wise one my ar*e laugh.gif seem to remember one on JM's auction last year?

Social source share

Isn't the orig a red lable, very few copys if i remeber right

bootleg and original both labels are the same. Repress has a bevelled edge. original the vinyl is totally flat, i auctioned one some time ago, at the time Soul Sam thought there may be only two or three genuine originals known. it is certainly extremely RARE as an original.

Social source share

bootleg and original both labels are the same. Repress has a bevelled edge. original the vinyl is totally flat, i auctioned one some time ago, at the time Soul Sam thought there may be only two or three genuine originals known. it is certainly extremely RARE as an original.

Thanks John, i was just basicly going by what i half remembered in your discription when you auctioned one last year.

So then Ken is your flat or bevelled? got a steam roller to flatten it and pass of as an original whistling.gif:shades:

Re-press are we talking re-press by the record company or bootleg?

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Just off to chekc mine now yes.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

While it may be a repress, I'm pretty sure there arent that many, and recently saw one in a dealers box for £70, which is about right I'd say.

They were going for 30-35 in the mid 80s.

Social source share

I think this is a repress,you mean by beveled,the vinyl rise`s a little about half inch at the start?,not happy,it was sold as a original ranting_1.gif ,i`ll take £60 if a reissue.

post-1986-1161607820_thumb.jpg .

Social source share

I think this is a repress,you mean by beveled,the vinyl rise`s a little about half inch at the start?,not happy,it was sold as a original ranting_1.gif ,i`ll take £60 if a reissue.

post-1986-1161607820_thumb.jpg .

Ken,

Thanks for the offer, but it's a bit toppy for me as dealers are quoting £15-20 for the re-press, with one on John's site for £20.

Regards,

John

Social source share

Ken,

Thanks for the offer, but it's a bit toppy for me as dealers are quoting £15-20 for the re-press, with one on John's site for £20.

Regards,

John

Fair`e`nuff,i paid £25 years ago,and was only going on Mikeys post,so better get yourself one elsewere yes.gif one minute you`ll sell yer` house,the next you wont part with less than the price of three pakcets of fags,just a observation John.

Social source share

Three copies turned up 1983 via Soulfulsaint , and that was it ,( As far as I know) thumbsup.gif

Although maybe JA turned up Soul Sam's copy ?

Your right, he walked into Stafford, he had just come back from the states and said "here Dave play this, it will be a monster. You can have it for £20.00 but only if you play it". When Stafford finished I sold alot of records to John Anderson, that was amongst them, he then sold it to Sam. Took me along time to get another one. I believe John then found a few more a couple of years later, but not many.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

The first one's Cosy found and sold me were red 45's. But lets ask him, come in Mr Cosgrove you times up

There were only 3 and they came inside a 12" electro record from Carolinas with a photo of Glenda which I still have. Sold one to Ian Clark and one to Dave when Stafford was at its height. I kept the other and its till in my modern collection. So answer 3 originals to my knowledge and then reissues which apepared a bit later. The electro 12 is still in my loft - truly dire.

Social source share

There were only 3 and they came inside a 12" electro record from Carolinas with a photo of Glenda which I still have. Sold one to Ian Clark and one to Dave when Stafford was at its height. I kept the other and its till in my modern collection. So answer 3 originals to my knowledge and then reissues which apepared a bit later. The electro 12 is still in my loft - truly dire.

The Garret Crew " Nasty Rock" 12 Ive got that shhh.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sorry for being dim, and in the very faint hope the one I bought (As an original for £35 at the TOTW) is one of the few originals.

What do you mean by a bevelled edge?

My copy is like most of the others I bought at that time (I file by when I bought them).

Gail Anderson Salvador WD -flat but you can just feel a slight bump at the edge of the label.

Same with Gene & Eddie Its no sin on Monica. The Cheryl Berdell, Preston Peters on Markhap, Jackie Beavers on Nation. All the same as the Glenda copy.

When I read bevelled I assumed it was the cerated edge like many UK titles have.

Social source share

Sorry for being dim, and in the very faint hope the one I bought (As an original for £35 at the TOTW) is one of the few originals.

What do you mean by a bevelled edge?

My copy is like most of the others I bought at that time (I file by when I bought them).

Gail Anderson Salvador WD -flat but you can just feel a slight bump at the edge of the label.

Same with Gene & Eddie Its no sin on Monica. The Cheryl Berdell, Preston Peters on Markhap, Jackie Beavers on Nation. All the same as the Glenda copy.

When I read bevelled I assumed it was the cerated edge like many UK titles have.

The bevel is on the edge (run in) of the disc. It's quite distinct (mine looks about 3mm.) I imagine the originals finish square at the edge.

Edited by jasonion
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I need someone to look at mine then. I cant find any kind of edge like that. My label is also more of a brick red than the scan earlier in the thread, but that could just be the scan itself I guess.

If there are only 3, then there is very little chance mine is one of them....but if a few more are around...Hmm.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I need someone to look at mine then. I cant find any kind of edge like that. My label is also more of a brick red than the scan earlier in the thread, but that could just be the scan itself I guess.

If there are only 3, then there is very little chance mine is one of them....but if a few more are around...Hmm.

Pull a few records out your box and look at the edges Mikey. Some will appear to taper to a knife-edge, some will be neatly rounded off, (Bevelled) some appear to have no finish, ie just cut verticaly flat, not nicely finished, so you can see the thickness of the vinyl thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...
Guest Ivor Jones
On 20 December 2015 at 20:24, Rob Goodburn said:

Hey Des. I'm only a few years late :-) but I'll have a repress form anyone on here if they have one.  I suspect a little more than 10£ now. 

Hello Rob,I still reckon you could pick up a repress for about £10-20……Do some searching,it shouldn't be too difficult.

Social source share

I got a copy off Tim Brown's auction a while back..

The label is a slightly darker red but identical print. The vinyl is pressed flat without the bevelled edge and yes it's opaque compared with the repress which you can see through if held up to a bright light.

Great Stafford record, modern soul at it's very best..

I'll put the repress on hold for you Rob as promised..:thumbsup:

Edited by stockholmsoulfox
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert