tony galla - jms auction result

Russoul1

hi all, is the tony galla - in love - swan, a new high............ jms auction finished at £1225.00 wow

is it really that rare, misspress - yellow - black - white labels, yes cant deny its a great tune but surely

would anyone on here pay that type off money for a copy?????

• Helpful 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, russoul1 said:

hi all, is the tony galla - in love - swan, a new high............ jms auction finished at £1225.00 wow

is it really that rare, misspress - yellow - black - white labels, yes cant deny its a great tune but surely

I wouldn't say any variation that rare particularly.  Was a load of the mislabelled about at one time and for me it isn't more desirable.  I'd sooner have the correctly labelled release.  But as you say crazy price for something that isn't that rare.

Social source share

Now Souler, 

this really depends on what sort of dog you had and how much impact the chewing had making the item rarer.

you don't state whether the record was on Wand or Strata. A ball park figure for this rare example, assuming 

your dog was a pedigree breed, has to be in the upper 3 figures, if there is lots of saliva could be reaching the 4 figure mark.

However if your dog was of dubious parentage I would say the records is worthless, although most price guidelines have a specific

grading system in the glossary to cover all mishaps to rare records. Particularly when the authors have a copy for sale.

Rob   

44 minutes ago, souler said:

I have a Stemmons that the dog ate as it came through the letterbox about 20 years ago.

what did it go for?  (Sniff,sniff)!!! 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think the Patti Austin is quite hard to track down only being on the flip of the  stock copy and lots of people now after this version.

The copy on Manship's auction was only the later Grey Label copy not the Red Label first press which to me is more desirable.

Social source share

21 hours ago, russoul1 said:

There was a copy on Anglo American's Auction a few months back, i seem to remember it getting close to £1000 but i did not see it finish.

Can anyone confirm?

Social source share

5 hours ago, randy said:

The copy on Manship's auction was only the later Grey Label copy not the Red Label first press which to me is more desirable.

The red and grey labels were used simultaneously by Columbia during 1972 (the Patti Austin 45 was released in April of that year).

Many of the 45's prior to Patti Austin ONLY exist on the grey label, some dating back to as early as January 1972.

There is nothing that indicates that the grey label Patti Austin wasn't released at the exact same time as the red label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Rob Wigley said:

Now Souler, 

this really depends on what sort of dog you had and how much impact the chewing had making the item rarer.

you don't state whether the record was on Wand or Strata. A ball park figure for this rare example, assuming 

your dog was a pedigree breed, has to be in the upper 3 figures, if there is lots of saliva could be reaching the 4 figure mark.

However if your dog was of dubious parentage I would say the records is worthless, although most price guidelines have a specific

grading system in the glossary to cover all mishaps to rare records. Particularly when the authors have a copy for sale.

Rob   

Put it this way - no amount of Wand waving would fix it!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Question is who pays this sort of money for tunes that arent even rare?! Misguided is not a strong enough word, in a way it's make a mockery of record collecting and coherent prices. I know demand plays a big part in silly prices in auctions but it still doesn't make a unrare record any rarer (rarity i believe is based on how many copies were pressed and labels etc...), only the fact that copies are being bought because it's in demand and it's then hard to find copies because all the sheep have paid silly prices for it! Collecting has become a minefield since eBay and other forms of auctioning have commanded the some of the spotlight with collecting.However, IMHO we always got to bear in mind auctions dont give a true reflection of what a tune is really worth objectively, only subjectively to an individual who knows how much they want to spend on a record and how far they are willing to go to win that auction!

Edited by foi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 18/11/2016 at 12:36, modernsoulsucks said:

Recorded at Terrier Shirma studios.

I once had a lead on a box of 'em.

The Precisions might have been Rod, but Stemmons Express was recorded in Dallas, using the same backing track which Sam Coplin had got from George McGregor.  

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Steve G said:

The Precisions might have been Rod, but Stemmons Express was recorded in Dallas, using the same backing track which Sam Coplin had got from George McGregor.  

Thank you Steve though in my defence I was aiming at humorous rather than informative.

If only there were a recently published tome available from all good stockists that detailed the background to this Detroit backing track ending up on WAND.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, modernsoulsucks said:

Thank you Steve though in my defence I was aiming at humorous rather than informative.

If only there were a recently published tome available from all good stockists that detailed the background to this Detroit backing track ending up on WAND.

:thumbsup: 

Social source share

On 11/18/2016 at 19:31, Sebastian said:

The red and grey labels were used simultaneously by Columbia during 1972 (the Patti Austin 45 was released in April of that year).

Many of the 45's prior to Patti Austin ONLY exist on the grey label, some dating back to as early as January 1972.

There is nothing that indicates that the grey label Patti Austin wasn't released at the exact same time as the red label.

Sebastian has far as Im aware all her earlier Columbia releases where on Red labels and her later Columbia releases where on Grey labels. Didnt Say a Word was a transition release initially being pressed on Red labels but quickly transitioning to Grey labels.

Any way thats by the way my initial point was that the Red label variant is much rarer and lots of people have never seen one or dont know its exits.  Even on this knowledgeable site no body seems to have mentioned it 

Social source share

This is always pretty much always going to be the case with auctions. I sell a few things on eBay, not records, and recently I got more for a second hand item than a new one would have cost and the item is freely available. As a seller it's great news because there are buyers who are so desperate to own something they rightly or wrongly go OTT with their bidding amounts. 

Whenever I bid at any auction I have a self imposed limit that I will not go above under any circumstances, right now particularly with records, there are lots of people who just want it regardless of price.

Where I really struggle is that some people think a high auction sale price for a record means that it is instantly worth that and they reflect that auction price in their fixed price sales.

Edited by Dave65
Typing error
Social source share

3 hours ago, randy said:

Sebastian has far as Im aware all her earlier Columbia releases where on Red labels and her later Columbia releases where on Grey labels. Didnt Say a Word was a transition release initially being pressed on Red labels but quickly transitioning to Grey labels.

Any way thats by the way my initial point was that the Red label variant is much rarer and lots of people have never seen one or dont know its exits.  Even on this knowledgeable site no body seems to have mentioned it 

There was a whole thread on the Patti Austin record on 3rd November.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!