cheatin kind

Kempy

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me if the Cheatin Kind 45 contained within the Don Gardner double LP has a  stamped matrix ?

The reason for the question is that I bought one of the sealed afore mentioned LP's and the bonus 45 has a scratched in matrix,the one for sale on here has got me thinking, as it appears to have a stamped matrix.  

Social source share

14 hours ago, kempy said:

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me if the Cheatin Kind 45 contained within the Don Gardner double LP has a  stamped matrix ?

The reason for the question is that I bought one of the sealed afore mentioned LP's and the bonus 45 has a scratched in matrix,the one for sale on here has got me thinking, as it appears to have a stamped matrix.  

The free disc has scratched in matrix.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Mixedangased said:

The free disc has scratched in matrix.

Think you are right Chris, the 45s that were given away as a limited reissue with the LP (endorsed by D.Gardner) have the matrix scratched in...there was a recent run of boots of this "give away reissue" with a stamped matrix if i remember right...:g:...and some people are sellings the "boot" as the "give away reissue"...its a minefield out there!

Edited by foi
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

My copy came out of the sealed double LP and has the hand scratched matrix.

To confuse matters further the Discogs release page for the boot states that it has a scratched in matrix? Although discogs can be updated by anyone with whatever info they like.

Social source share

15 minutes ago, The Zodiac Club said:

My copy came out of the sealed double LP and has the hand scratched matrix.

To confuse matters further the Discogs release page for the boot states that it has a scratched in matrix? Although discogs can be updated by anyone with whatever info they like.

true. but what i didn´t recognize before: the lbl design is bit different between both pressings. So, for me it isn´t clear which one is the real one and which matrix belongs to the legit and the "Re-Reissue"

Social source share

Ive just messaged Tramprecords that sell the official LP with the bonus reissue asking for matrix infom (scratched or machine stamped etc...) so with a bit of luck we might be able to confirm something from an official source?

Edited by foi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Zanetti said:

check yourself ... you must have the pressing with the lower space between the wax and The S of Sedgrick like me

This is my copy which came free and sealed in the LP (hand scratched matrix).

If anyone wants to buy the LP with the free official 45, Tramp Records have had a few unsold copies returned from their distributor which you can buy for 35 Euros:

https://tramprecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-story-of-don-gardner

IMG_20161120_181835.jpg

Edited by The Zodiac Club
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, foi said:

Ive just messaged Tramprecords that sell the official LP with the bonus reissue asking for matrix infom (scratched or machine stamped etc...) so with a bit of luck we might be able to confirm something from an official source?

Perfect... Let us know the result. thx for your work

Social source share

Hello there,

I have been told that somebody pressed a bootleg of "Cheatin Kind" by Don Gardner. The 45 was officially re-issued some years back by a german label and was only available as a bonus item of the first 400 copies of the "best of" double-gatefold album titled "The story of Don Gardner". Furthermore I have been told that the album did not sell that well in the first place. This is the reason why copies can be still purchased directly from the label which released it.

It is up to you whether you support a bootlegger or a tiny independent label together with Mr. Gardner.

Thank you for your time.

on behalf of the label (as well as Mr. Don Gardner)

Social source share

24 minutes ago, princevaliant said:

Hello there,

I have been told that somebody pressed a bootleg of "Cheatin Kind" by Don Gardner. The 45 was officially re-issued some years back by a german label and was only available as a bonus item of the first 400 copies of the "best of" double-gatefold album titled "The story of Don Gardner". Furthermore I have been told that the album did not sell that well in the first place. This is the reason why copies can be still purchased directly from the label which released it.

It is up to you whether you support a bootlegger or a tiny independent label together with Mr. Gardner.

Thank you for your time.

on behalf of the label (as well as Mr. Don Gardner)

Hi, this has been discussed in some length on another thread on this site: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/361222-cheatin-kind/

There seems to be some confusion as to which is the legit release and which is the boot.

Can you shed any light if the legit release has a hand scratched matrix in the runout or a stamped matrix?

Thanks in advance!

Social source share

3 hours ago, The Zodiac Club said:

This is my copy which came free and sealed in the LP (hand scratched matrix).

If anyone wants to buy the LP with the free official 45, Tramp Records have had a few unsold copies returned from their distributor which you can buy for 35 Euros:

https://tramprecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-story-of-don-gardner

IMG_20161120_181835.jpg

Piuuuuuu ... Looks minimal diff to mine although we got both the hand-scratched issue

Social source share

IT was me who brought up the stamped matrix.

I didn't buy the sealed LP i bought the record of ebay as the person i bought it off said it was the legitimate issue not knowing about the scratched in matrix and the stamped matrix, so its probably me who is wrong, so it will be interesting to find out.

Edited by 3b48
Social source share

Is it possible that TrampRecords have done more than the one run of 400 ?-but why the difference with the matrix.Come on you Guys, the one advertised on here can't be the only stamped copy,lets hear from you if your copy is stamped, and came out of a sealed double LP  

Social source share

On 20.11.2016 at 18:42, foi said:

Some News ... :wink:

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Some News ... :wink:

No news as yet, I did message them but not heard back from them. In saying that im almost 100% sure that two friends who bought quite a few of the LP + bonus singles mentioned that all the 45s had the matrix scratched in. Also, I'm sure there was a topic somewhere about the "legal reissue"  being booted very well and having a stamped matrix, and if i remember right the people that were behind all that controversy of the "lookalike originals" months back (ie Billy Woods, Sam Williams etc...) had something to do with it?! dont quite remember when and where though...

Social source share

Just now, foi said:

No news as yet, I did message them but not heard back from them. In saying that im almost 100% sure that two friends who bought quite a few of the LP + bonus singles mentioned that all the 45s had the matrix scratched in. Also, I'm sure there was a topic somewhere about the "legal reissue"  being booted very well and having a stamped matrix, and if i remember right the people that were behind all that controversy of the "lookalike originals" months back (ie Billy Woods, Sam Williams etc...) had something to do with it?! dont quite remember when and where though...

From reading the thread the answer seems quite obvious. The limited edition 45 accompanying the album has a scratched matrix and the boot is stamped.

Simples. Innit?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

From reading the thread the answer seems quite obvious. The limited edition 45 accompanying the album has a scratched matrix and the boot is stamped.

Simples. Innit?

It would seem obvious and simple but a collective and definitive answer from people who have bought the record from Tramp records would help confirm whats what with regard to the origins of the each copy and the matrix info (scratched and machine stamped) , it would save a lot of headaches for future buyers and sellers to know what the crack is with the differences...

Edited by foi
Social source share

On 21/11/2016 at 00:08, cover-up said:

Love how the "original re-issue" has two mistakes on the small print at the bottom (Wr.    Prod. misses the "&" and "Van leer" should be Vanleer) and the "bootleg of the original re-issue" exactly copies these mistakes. Crazy fools...

Doh missed that post of yours Cover up.... middle aged and not wearing my spectacles! Think that astute observation might more or less clear it up..all the "legit reissues" that came with the LP as a bonus 45 have "Vanleer" as one word...solved I reckon after all!

Edited by foi
Social source share

43 minutes ago, mart inc said:

As above.... bought 3 lps all with bonus 45s.... singles all scratched matrix

cheers for the info mart inc looks very much like we know the score now...

legit reissue = Vanleer written as one word on label scratched in matrix

bootleg of the legit reissue (both types as there two around by the looks) Vanleer is written as two words i.e. Van leer,  and at least one of the boots has the matrix machine stamped.

I got a sneaking suspicion that the bootleg with the machine stamp was done by the same people that did the controversial look a like originals months back....(Billy Woods, Sam Williams, Greater Experience, Salvadors etc...)

Social source share

5 minutes ago, 3b48 said:

So i bought what i thought was the legitimate issue as it was advertised as such, it was a while back as well so i should be within my rights to get a full refund

Agreed?

Most certainly mate and if you get challenged ask them to show you the LP that came with said bonus 45...if they still have it of course, which they wont as its safe to say now its not the legit reissue i reckon...

Social source share

10 minutes ago, princevaliant said:

Hello,

I just got the confirmation from the label and you guys are right. The legit reissue from Tramp Records has the matrix scratched in and Vanleer is one word. Furthermore they confirmed that there were only 400 pressed which were all sold as a bonus 45 inside the sealed double-gatefold album. They also confirmed that the promotion for this album somehow failed and this is the reason why copies with the bonus 45 are still available from them. They told me to point out that they did not repress it so the copies they are selling are those of the original 400 copies press run.

If someone finds out who is responsible for the bootleg feel free and send me a pm. I will forward it to the label then.

Thank you for all your help!

Thank you for confirming - hopefully now the bootleggers will lose a few sales!

Some useful info for others to reference in the future :thumbsup:

Social source share

1 hour ago, 3b48 said:

So i bought what i thought was the legitimate issue as it was advertised as such, it was a while back as well so i should be within my rights to get a full refund

Agreed?

Definatley, completely mis-sold - the seller could have also been duped or they could have been intentionally underhanded. Either way you should get your money back. Good luck!

Social source share

Like the term original re-issue in one of the previous threads.

So here's another minefield, self proclaimed OVO DJ's who play this out mmmmm! :g:

I'll put my tin hat on :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!