Played Out Oldies

Drew3

Sorry Baz, but as i said earlier up the thread, this wasen't the reason, it was because people liked the music they were hearing ! surely ? The fact that it was rare unheard of artists probably helped because we were young & looking for something trendy & different to the mainstream.

But i can't see how you can champion something just because it's rare, irelevent of what it sounds like ?

Yes they liked it but the whole ethos of the scene was to discover the next thing surley??? and that's what northern is all about......like it or not.

Who said about something having to be rare???

Check my posts and playlists, you'll find i champion as many 'cheapies' as possible,

Social source share

• Replies 279
  • Views 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Why is it silly, its my oppinion that there is two scenes one northern scene and one retro scene the later IMO is rubbish.

The Northern soul scene still strives on what it stood for 'back in the day' and that is to go out week in week out searching out the 'new' bringing obscure artists into the forfront of the rare soul scene.

The commercial 'retro' scene has lost its foot in what northern soul is about, invaded by crap media and poor complations on CD........ of well rubbish

===========

Tell you why it's silly Baz. We were talking about venues where people who wear bags etc go, and I said how would you know cos you rarely go. You said, no I don't go cos it's not northern soul. That is completely incorrect IMO, these venues are playing established records, established on the northern scene over the last 40 years and you come along and redefine the term northern soul. Should I be welcoming the new Dave Godin? whistling.gif

Social source share

Thats about the best parallel anyone could make, it'd be like going to a wedding reception every Friday without the free booze. I don't think many people think "played out oldies" are rubbish records, they're usually far from it, but often, as the name sort of suggests (I prefer "overplayed records" for clarity), they're played too often by many people who won't try anything else. :angry: There are overplayed "newies" included in that too.

And just look at what happened a few years back, Mick Smith plays Ain't No Mountain High Enough at the 100 Club to a great response and suddenly the record is being flogged to death on the decks by other people. Its nice to hear something like that from time to time, there are loads of similar records, but not week in week out? I'll stay at home thanks. Others include things like Because of You and You Got To Have Money. Good enough records but do people really want to hear them every time they go out? sad.gif

A well known name like Mick smith can play Marvin & Tammi at the 100 Club. Try to imagine if it was me playing that record in there...

Probably the punters would targeted me with rotten tomatoes... laugh.gif:Dlaugh.gif

Roccia

Social source share

Yes they liked it but the whole ethos of the scene was to discover the next thing surley??? and that's what northern is all about......like it or not.

Check my posts and playlists, you'll find i champion as many 'cheapies' as possible,

Alright then Baz 'new' not 'rare' if you want to be picky.

But my argument is still the same,i don't think the records were liked because of either 'newness' or 'rarity' i always thought it was because of what they sounded like.

& i feel that is why some people like to hear so called 'played out' oldies & not just new for the sake of it being 'cool' records.

Social source share

=================

The ethos of the scene was to dance, get off your tits and enjoy yourself. When did it become a quest to find the holy grail??

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

A well known name like Mick smith can play Marvin & Tammi at the 100 Club. Try to imagine if it was me playing that record in there...

Probably the punters would targeted me with rotten tomatoes... laugh.giflaugh.gif:ohmy:

Roccia

On the contrary, if you have the imagination to do something different with a good quality record you should get all of the adulation that you'd deserve, so thinking cap on and see what you can come up with. thumbsup.gif

I must point out that I bear no responsibility whatsoever for the quality of this advice and accept no personal liability for any form of loss or injury, whether physical or pecuniary in nature, that may be caused to you as a result of following it. As such you cannot rely on it or blame me for nothing, right? :D

=================

The ethos of the scene was to dance, get off your tits and enjoy yourself. When did it become a quest to find the holy grail??

Was the Torch symbol merely a grail shaped beacon?

Social source share

On the contrary, if you have the imagination to do something different with a good quality record you should get all of the adulation that you'd deserve, so thinking cap on and see what you can come up with. thumbsup.gif

I must point out that I bear no responsibility whatsoever for the quality of this advice and accept no personal liability for any form of loss or injury, whether physical or pecuniary in nature, that may be caused to you as a result of following it. As such you cannot rely on it or blame me for nothing, right? :D

laugh.gif Don't start that up again

Social source share

Was the Torch symbol merely a grail shaped beacon?

==============

You mean it wasn't a badge celebrating the arrival of orange ice cream on these shores

Social source share

The whole thing is becoming a pastiche of itself. Djs playing the same old tunes, all the over priced sales lists have the same records on them.

The media & returnees turning the whole thing into a bags wearing, clenched fist, clips of Wigan, Frank Wilson & the good old days, cash cow that has frankly had too much milking!

Time to go underground perhaps...

Sim unsure.gif n

Social source share

The whole thing is becoming a pastiche of itself. Djs playing the same old tunes, all the over priced sales lists have the same records on them.

The media & returnees turning the whole thing into a bags wearing, clenched fist, clips of Wigan, Frank Wilson & the good old days, cash cow that has frankly had too much milking!

Sim :D n

==========

Simon? Simon Bridger? If it is you mate, seem to remember you being partial to Shermans and stay press, which is also a bit or a retro look? thumbsup.gif If it's not you, apologies

Social source share

Sim unsure.gif n

Tarah then :D Have fun with all the worms & creepy crawlies that inhabit it tongue.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Simon? Simon Bridger? If it is you mate, seem to remember you being partial to Shermans and stay press, which is also a bit or a retro look? thumbsup.gif If it's not you, apologies

Tis indeed me mate, i do indeed enjoy classically made clothing! biggrin.gif

Obviously i enjoy a bit of retro otherwise i wouldn't be into NS :D but that's not really my bona contention more the way the whole NS thing has become this tacky old peoples thing as portrayed by the media where they always focus on the likes of Russ Winstanley & Wigan etc.

I preferred it 10 years ago when it was smalller & more vibrant & happening, it's become a bit predictable IMO.

Simon

Social source share

Tis indeed me mate, i do indeed enjoy classically made clothing! biggrin.gif

Obviously i enjoy a bit of retro otherwise i wouldn't be into NS :D but that's not really my bona contention more the way the whole NS thing has become this tacky old peoples thing as portrayed by the media where they always focus on the likes of Russ Winstanley & Wigan etc.

I preferred it 10 years ago when it was smalller & more vibrant & happening, it's become a bit predictable IMO.

Simon

=========

Hi Si thumbsup.gif

If the scene is percieved in the 'russ winstanley' way, surely it's only by those outside of it? Those still attending know it's not really like that on the whole. I mean not like it in the 'Russ is our leader' way, not as in we're not all old.

winnie:-)

Social source share

Apart from all the theories, ideologies and psychological meanderings about whats a burnt out oldie and what isn't.... Why is it that people just don't get bored with listening to the same predictable sounds over and over again?? Thats what amazes me :D

==============

The same reason they don't get bored replying to the same predictable threads all the time. shhh.gifshades.gif

Social source share

What like you me and everyone else on here?? The difference being I don't know what the next post is going to say.. do you? (or are you telepathic or psychic or something else??)

===========

None of us know exactly what the next post will be, but get an oldies/newies thread going, and I bet you pretty much know the gist of what's going to come? thumbsup.gif

Also bet you knew I was going to say that :D

Social source share

As I said further back, I was after lists so that I could gain an understanding of what the term 'played out oldie' (I now prefer Stuart T's 'overplayed record' as it's much more accurate) actually means to everyone and if the same records come up.

Thanks to those who did post a list of their present 'overplayed' records. thumbsup.gif

The lists that have been posted have thrown up one or two records that I don't think I know, so for me these won't be anything but new and therefore there was a value for me in asking the question.

The only other point for me is that I do not understand why discussions on here at times disintegrate into arguments and rudeness as opposed to keeping up healthy debate, however boring, repetitive or naive a post is or however different to your own someone elses view or taste is!!!!!!!! huh.gif

KTF.

Drew. :D

Social source share

Just my oppinion on some of the s**te people wear, no i very rarley go to these venues why would i want to? Its not northern soul, its a complete utter rubbish retro scene, i prefer to keep at the proper northern soul scene, and yes i do think all this oh look at me im a soulie because i wear a fist is laughable.

Sorry to say but they are my oppinions of that 'scene'

just curious as to where these venues are that you talk of

certainly round london and the home counties you could count the number of folks who dress up(in the way you describe) on one hand.

is this a northern thing as it doesnt ring true to any events down this way.

also why does folks clothes bother you so much and who are you to judge???

does the term "stuck up ones own arse" mean anything

Social source share

just curious as to where these venues are that you talk of

certainly round london and the home counties you could count the number of folks who dress up(in the way you describe) on one hand.

is this a northern thing as it doesnt ring true to any events down this way.

also why does folks clothes bother you so much and who are you to judge???

does the term "stuck up ones own arse" mean anything

All over the place im mearly stereotyping, saying that it does seem to be getting less and less which is a good thing, if i wanted to go to a fancy dress party i can go to my nieces 6th b-day party,

Stuck up my own arse, yeah proberly wink.gif

Social source share

you may steriotype but do these events really exist.

look through the different photo,s on here for events and ive yet to see one where their all dressed up.

not my thing but each to their own.

back on topic and have to agree that lots of dj sets dont vary much.

please feel free to shoot the next dj who plays the constellations whistling.gif

Social source share

Just so that I know in future what to avoid playing, here's all the stuff I played at my do back in August. Please could you all let me know what you consider as "played out oldies" (or overplayed if you're Stuart).

The Voice Masters - You've Hurt Me Baby - Bamboo

Darrow Fletcher - My Young Misery - Groovy

Frank Butler - How I Feel About You - Space-Age

The Precisions - Instant Heartbreak (Just Add Tears) - Drew

Syl Johnson - Try Me - Twilight

Derek Martin - Sly Girl - Tuba

Ruby Winters - Just Like A Yo Yo - Diamond

Jean Wells - What Have I Got To Lose - Calla Promo

Pauline Shivers - Won't You Come Back Home - O-Pex

The Lovelites - My Conscience - Lovelite

The Devonnes - Doin' The Gettin' Up - Kent 26th Anniversary

Deon Jackson - Ooh Baby - Carla

Edwin Starr - I Have Faith In You - Ric-Tic

Gene Chandler - (I'm Just A) Fool For You - Constellation

Occasions - There's No You - Big Jim

Larry Davis And The Marvels - The Magic Is Gone - Decca

Danny Moore - Somebody New - Allrite

Darrell Banks - Somebody (Somewhere) Needs You - Revilot

Clarence Jackson - If It Don't Fit Don't Force It - Valtone DJ Copy

Greg Perry - It Takes Heart - Alfa

The Royal Five - Nobody Else - P and L

Eddie Kendricks - Date With The Rain - Tamla

Terri Bryant - Geni - Verve

Madeline Bell - Picture Me Gone - Phillips

Joy Lovejoy - In Orbit - Checker

The Vibrations - Gonna Get Along Without You Now - Okeh Promo

The Artistics - Hope We Have - Brunswick

The Magicians - (Just A Little) Faith And Understanding - Kent 25th Anniversary

The Contours - Just A Little Misunderstanding - Gordy

To be honest I like them all otherwise I wouldn't have played them. tongue.gif

Social source share

I always have to smile when a playlist is put up by a dj, and anything Top 100 listed has the word "Request" after it rolleyes.gif

Why would anyone put 'Request' after a record in a play list in a vain attempt to get people to think they didn't want to play it. :D

They put it in their play box didn't they. I get requests all the time for record I have but unless they are in my play box for that event I ain't gonna play them (obviously) and if they are in there they are in on merit so why would I not play them.

I think putting 'Request' after the tune says more about the crowd / venue than anything and if I see 'requests' I like it can indicate the venue may by to my liking.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Northern Soul has never been about the way we dress tho has it? I mean my mates a school used to wear vests and flares down the youth club. Just like me. Only they liked Elvis or The Damned or Motorhead.

And some of those guys I see dont dress a lot differently now either.

Its all about enjoyment. Thats the beginning and end of it. And most I assume would enjoy it if they were wearing jeans or a suit or Spencers 40" baggies.

There could also be the case where some guys have spent all their dough on vinyl, and still have to wear the old vest and bags they wore 30 years ago. Only possible because they cant afford to eat anything more than Tesco value baked beans on toast, so their waist lines are the same as in 1978.

Social source share

There could also be the case where some guys have spent all their dough on vinyl, and still have to wear the old vest and bags they wore 30 years ago. Only possible because they cant afford to eat anything more than Tesco value baked beans on toast, so their waist lines are the same as in 1978.

They could save a few pennies if they went shopping at Lidl or Aldi. laugh.gif

Social source share

Just so that I know in future what to avoid playing, here's all the stuff I played at my do back in August. Please could you all let me know what you consider as "played out oldies" (or overplayed if you're Stuart).

To be honest I like them all otherwise I wouldn't have played them. tongue.gif

What's overplayed or played out really depends on your location. If you played this set in the north west the red ones would be over-played IMO. But how can I or anyone else outside your area say what is over played there? And so how can we advise you to stop playing them. You know what is over played in your area I'm sure.

A good mixture all the same with some I never hear at all. Round here at least

Social source share

Please could you all let me know what you consider as "played out oldies" (or overplayed if you're Stuart).

Those above - though it depends how long you've been around I suppose. I could hear Geni(e) til the cows come home but Greg Perry is an unpolished turd of a record. No offence like. Nice to see My Conscience in there.

Social source share

you may steriotype but do these events really exist.

look through the different photo,s on here for events and ive yet to see one where their all dressed up.

please feel free to shoot the next dj who plays the constellations :lol:

Hi Wayne

Haven't seen much of you & Anita lately. Trust you are both well.

BTW I'm assured these venues do exist around the Midlands area

I don't think you would like them (something that you would actually have in common with Baz)

Col.

Social source share

Hi Wayne

I don't think you would like them (something that you would actually have in common with Baz)

Col.

There's enough people wearing them to keep a couple of guys in Nottingham in business at least.

I remember how we used to rip the pi55 out of teddy boys still wearing all their clobber in the 70's and I'm sure non soulies view people wandering around wearing this out moded fashion in the same way.

Does the credibility of the scene no good mind you like a lot of the records that get played :lol:

Social source share

Hi Wayne

Col.

hi col

weve been out but mostly up town.

maybe a bit far for youre crowd though as its more than 10 miles away :lol::yes:

ive heard baz dj a couple of times.

very good plus if memory,s right it was all 60,s.

gets my vote for that alone

Social source share

Was that me?

If not, can I just say that IMHO, that is the the most overplayed, dreary piece of background music ever played on the scene? :lol::P

it may well be but i never ever said it wasnt i just said i liked it very much and was attacked with such venom for my taste of tune i nearly cried into my coco and threatened never to return to soul source, but hey guess what i didnt but then again ive never been able to retaliate to others taste of favourite tune as it is always an absolute rarity that no one knows and ultra expensive so to make themselves look good or better in thier own household anyway. if i didnt like another soulies taste of tune i would politely say something like - yeah its nice that is but not my cup of coco.

Bearsy :yes:

Social source share

hi col

weve been out but mostly up town.

maybe a bit far for youre crowd though as its more than 10 miles away :lol::yes:

ive heard baz dj a couple of times.

very good plus if memory,s right it was all 60,s.

gets my vote for that alone

Yeah, yeah very witty.

But these days I prefer to park up the car & get a plane somewhere.

Social source share

To be honest I like them all otherwise I wouldn't have played them. :yes:

Pauline Shivers - Great Record should be played out more :lol: .

Social source share

There's enough people wearing them to keep a couple of guys in Nottingham in business at least.

I remember how we used to rip the pi55 out of teddy boys still wearing all their clobber in the 70's and I'm sure non soulies view people wandering around wearing this out moded fashion in the same way.

Does the credibility of the scene no good mind you like a lot of the records that get played :lol:

I know all of the above to be true.

Very few people dress like that down south though.

But the few that do happen to be really nice guys, so I find it impossible to be critical.

Col.

Social source share

A ban wouldn't be needed if DJ's used their imagination. It's like Pete said, there's no point him going out as he has a good idea of what he's going to hear as it's the same DJ's playing the same records week in week out :yes:

A little imagination, drop a few records, try the odd different one now and again and things would improve no end.

The era I grew up in most of the DJ's had their own identity and individual sets, they all comnpeted to play something different, that all changed with the returnees in the early 90's and not much has changed since IMHO.

There's 100's of records ignored so a DJ can play the Ringleaders he paid £400 for or Ruby Andrews he paid £150 and many more besides :lol:

Nowadays should be seeing the best of Northern Soul, the best records from the best part of 40 years yet it's far from it with little in the way of progression, forward thinking and least of all little imagination.

Totally agree Chalky,

i would love to go out and hear loads of new tunes mixed in with many i know as for me its a great way of discovering and hearing a tune i might not never get to hear that could blow me socks off.

its to easy to play safe but that can also depend on which event you attend.

keep it fresh and in the groove

Bearsy

Social source share

Why would anyone put 'Request' after a record in a play list in a vain attempt to get people to think they didn't want to play it. :lol:

They put it in their play box didn't they. I get requests all the time for record I have but unless they are in my play box for that event I ain't gonna play them (obviously) and if they are in there they are in on merit so why would I not play them.

I think putting 'Request' after the tune says more about the crowd / venue than anything and if I see 'requests' I like it can indicate the venue may by to my liking.

Can't see anybody doing it to give other dj's a helping hand in the future Ged.

Why make a distinction, is my point, especially if its IS in their playbox.

Social source share

All over the place im mearly stereotyping, saying that it does seem to be getting less and less which is a good thing, if i wanted to go to a fancy dress party i can go to my nieces 6th b-day party,

Stuck up my own arse, yeah proberly :lol:

============

I've never seen more than about 10/15 dressed in spencers at any one particular venue, hardly a proliferation? :yes: And you haven't answered the question re: your point it's not northern soul that these fellows/lasses dance to.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

I know all of the above to be true.

Very few people dress like that down south though.

But the few that do happen to be really nice guys, so I find it impossible to be critical.

Col.

You cheeky bloody southerners !! :lol: Why the Midlands ??

Go & have a look at the Coppertops soul nights site, there are pictures on there from every night they have done this year & last. Show me a vest or baggies & i'll run around this site naked !!

Social source share

And you haven't answered the question re: your point it's not northern soul that these fellows/lasses dance to.

Winnie:-)

I dont beleive them *** to be apart of the northern soul scene no, didn't say they wernt dancing to northern

*** 'them' being your go out one a month/every other month/ year, to the local soul night playing some of the most un imagenative records you could think of, sporting black fists.

Social source share

It's funny but I said this to Davina about 2 weeks back, we went to the shops and I was wearing a pair of Levis, a white polo shirt under a black v neck jumper and I realised I was wearing exactly the same clothes that I wore 30 years ago!

So what's wrong with dressing like that eh?

I hope you have washed them! :yes::lol:

Social source share

I dont beleive them *** to be apart of the northern soul scene no, didn't say they wernt dancing to northern

*** 'them' being your go out one a month/every other month/ year, to the local soul night playing some of the most un imagenative records you could think of, sporting black fists.

===================

"no i very rarley go to these venues why would i want to? Its not northern soul, its a complete utter rubbish retro scene, i prefer to keep at the proper northern soul scene"

That's what you said Baz, post 132, it's not northern soul. So I take it to be a part of the northern scene in your view, you have to go out every week, to upfront venues, and travel 100s of miles? Sorry mate, but another bag of bollox, even bigger than the last. There's a few on here who I'd consider upfront soul lovers, are you all of the same opinion, have you taken an oath? :lol:

Social source share

===================

"no i very rarley go to these venues why would i want to? Its not northern soul, its a complete utter rubbish retro scene, i prefer to keep at the proper northern soul scene"

That's what you said Baz, post 132, it's not northern soul. So I take it to be a part of the northern scene in your view, you have to go out every week, to upfront venues, and travel 100s of miles? Sorry mate, but another bag of bollox, even bigger than the last. There's a few on here who I'd consider upfront soul lovers, are you all of the same opinion, have you taken an oath? :yes:

Yes i cut my finger dropped a bit of blood into the scacred chalise and swore to never change my view. :lol:

Your twisting it about alittle, Northern soul is not just music, is it not! Northern soul is a way of life (i hate that term :P ) but it is a way of life, you dont have to go and travel 100's of miles every week, not even go to 'upfront' venues, its only my oppinion on it all it dont mean sh*t but to say you are into northern just because you listen to the more 'commercial***' sounds when you go out is not the Northern scene.

*** commercial sounds being ones that you can find on ever compliation with wigan/greatest/floor fillers (delete/add as apropriate) CD's

Baz Goddin

Social source share

Yes i cut my finger dropped a bit of blood into the scacred chalise and swore to never change my view. :lol:

Your twisting it about alittle, Northern soul is not just music, is it not! Northern soul is a way of life (i hate that term :P ) but it is a way of life, you dont have to go and travel 100's of miles every week, not even go to 'upfront' venues, its only my oppinion on it all it dont mean sh*t but to say you are into northern just because you listen to the more 'commercial***' sounds when you go out is not the Northern scene.

*** commercial sounds being ones that you can find on ever compliation with wigan/greatest/floor fillers (delete/add as apropriate) CD's

Baz Goddin

:yes: Don't know about Goddin, but i think there are some pretty good attempts at Goadin you Baz.

Could be a sinister new conspiracy, who will be the first to make the 'moderate' moderator crack ?

Social source share

Baz Goddin

================

This bit I tend to believe :yes:

I don't agree that northern soul is a way of life, but I think that's a different argument. You talked about the 'real' northern scene in a previous post, so what venues have your seal of approval?

If I think 'out on the floor' is northern (indeed I do) who's to tell me it isn't, and that I'm not part of the 'real' northern scene. I'm not part of the 'in crowd' maybe, or those who deem themselves the 'saviours' or today's scene, but I don't care. I'd like to see the scene progress, I'd like to see it stay alive, but not to the extent that I'm happy to disrespect anyone who doesn't agree with me.

Social source share

:lol: Don't know about Goddin, but i think there are some pretty good attempts at Goadin you Baz.

Could be a sinister new conspiracy, who will be the first to make the 'moderate' moderator crack ?

============

As I'm the person in the main arguing with Baz, I take it you're referring to me as regarding goading? What do you suggest I do if I don't agree with his or anybody elses views, say nothing? I'm sure you're probably just joking, but if we all just sat back and said nothing.......well plug me back into the matrix :yes:

Social source share

Those above - though it depends how long you've been around I suppose. I could hear Geni(e) til the cows come home but Greg Perry is an unpolished turd of a record. No offence like. Nice to see My Conscience in there.

No 1 on my wants list at mo, just saving all the pennies till i can get it....maybe about april next year the way things are going :lol: So far I have £4.97 :P a way to go yet :yes:

QoFxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!