Misuse of the "Rare Soul" title

Woodbutcher

I think this loss of focus on 'is it good enough?', rather than lack of attendees is the biggest threat to the scene.

Some of the stuff I hear (inc soul and RnB stuff) that gets lauded is pure shite - it absolutely does the boss' head in and is a big reason, compounding Pete's ill health, we ain't going out..

If it's not up to snuff it shouldn't be played, for years and years people have been saying 'what about forgotten oldies' but in practice that seems to mean 'what about fucking obvious stuff coz I as a DJ don't really know my stuff'. On top of that most DJs are spinning for the ego trip and so want to play unknowns, and that becomes so important that they play stuff that wasn't spun before coz it'd get booed off.

I'm by no means really knowledgable, but back when I was DJing I often got people saying 'nice newies spot' when all I was playing was oldies, it just takes a bit of thinking and learning.

Dx

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That track makes me want to put rollers in my hair, put a pink "pinny" on and knock up a nice Victoria sponge cake, while blue birds whistle along on the window sill. It certainly doesn't make me want to get up and give it what for on the dance floor. Cake anyone? :sleep3:

Social source share

3 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

I think this loss of focus on 'is it good enough?', rather than lack of attendees is the biggest threat to the scene.

Some of the stuff I hear (inc soul and RnB stuff) that gets lauded is pure shite - it absolutely does the boss' head in and is a big reason, compounding Pete's ill health, we ain't going out..

If it's not up to snuff it shouldn't be played, for years and years people have been saying 'what about forgotten oldies' but in practice that seems to mean 'what about fucking obvious stuff coz I as a DJ don't really know my stuff'. On top of that most DJs are spinning for the ego trip and so want to play unknowns, and that becomes so important that they play stuff that wasn't spun before coz it'd get booed off.

I'm by no means really knowledgable, but back when I was DJing I often got people saying 'nice newies spot' when all I was playing was oldies, it just takes a bit of thinking and learning.

Dx

Lack of attendees goes back to what has been discussed many times (Too many events / people ratio) Although more and more people are coming on to the scene, so some don't do too bad (numbers wise anyway)

I too am sometimes 'puzzled' at what I hear out and about.....Not sure about the ego bit - It used to be banded about that DJs playing tried and tested to a packed dance floor was the ego trip, and now it seems that has been 'flipped on its' head' to be aimed at DJs playing lesser known stuff that may empty the dance floor every so often (which comes with the territory). I wouldn't say looking across an empty dance floor hoping 'to god' that people appreciate the said tune and understand what the DJ was attempting to do is by any means an ego trip (You may have witnessed something a bit different to what I have described though) 

Yup defo loads of oldies that aren't really known to the masses - There may be the odd 'newie' that really stands out, but some are either 'as good', or just pretty good but still worth playing in the interests of um keeping it interesting (When compared to the awsome tunes we have listened to over the years)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - If anyone's going to New Century Soul at Bury town hall next Saturday, pop in to The Kenwood Suite - You'll witness me clearing the dance floor, Bob Hinsley clearing the dance floor, and Simon Ingham positively dying on his *rse - Great night though :D

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Suppose over the years we've all been spoilt by some of  the great stuff that's been discovered by a few people hoping to make a quick buck ,some of these have now got use to a certain life style and are now really scraping the barrel  never mind ktf :g:??

Social source share

1 hour ago, LEN said:

P.s - If anyone's going to New Century Soul at Bury town hall next Saturday, pop in to The Kenwood Suite - You'll witness me clearing the dance floor, Bob Hinsley clearing the dance floor, and Simon Ingham positively dying on his *rse - Great night though :D

Len.  And here's me thinking that it was compulsory for all  the Kenwood suite Dj,s to clear the dance floor not just the three of you. :P

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't know what all the excitement and aggravation is about. One person's meat is another's poison and all that. Sure, not to my taste and I can't really see what the appeal is, but as one poster pointed out, would probably go well with the 'Popcorn' afficiandos and the singer does apparently have a soul music background. Probably one for the collectors, rather a 'Northern' tune - whatever that means. But whilst on the subject, how many tunes are holy grails amongst 'Rare Soul' collectors which clearly have little or no actual connection to soul as a genre really?

Social source share

8 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Link to the soundfile in my last post ... don't come back on here with bleeding ears and say you weren't warned though ... :thumbsup:

too late, you should have warned us before not after, where there's a blame............

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:22, DaveNPete said:

Dx

abit of distance from the scene reveals the truth dave.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 20/11/2016 at 16:13, clevesoulie said:

I've had a listen to the sound file...sounds like something the Popcorn folk would go for.

Best,

Mark

i spent a lot of years buying popcorn ,it has lots of differing styles associated with it, r&b,soul,beat ballads, lounge and exotic instros, all sorts ..............and  buying lots of shite i thought may or could be played around that scene...:g: this is just a middle of the road mid 50s female ,doris day  a perfect comparison, ............. with nothing to  make it interesting or differant....OFF TO CATCH THE DEADWOOD STAGE............bfn

Social source share

1 hour ago, ezzie brown said:

i spent a lot of years buying popcorn ,it has lots of differing styles associated with it, r&b,soul,beat ballads, lounge and exotic instros, all sorts ..............and  buying lots of shite i thought may or could be played around that scene...:g: this is just a middle of the road mid 50s female ,doris day  a perfect comparison, ............. with nothing to  make it interesting or differant....OFF TO CATCH THE DEADWOOD STAGE............bfn

I think Doris is getting some undeserved stick here.

This track IMHO has a typical beat-ballad structure and far better than the Lu Elliott.

Social source share

4 hours ago, paul-s said:

Do people seriously play this out and call it rare soul?! Im shocked.....

No they don't. But they will call it Rare Soul or even a 'unknown rare soul indemander biggie'  (or some such contradictory piffle) in desperation to try and get a sale. eBay has hundreds of them clogging up every search I make and now they're creeping their way onto this site. Very disappointing. :(

:hatsoff2:- Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, KevinKent said:

No they don't. But they will call it Rare Soul or even a 'unknown rare soul indemander biggie'  (or some such contradictory piffle) in desperation to try and get a sale. eBay has hundreds of them clogging up every search I make and now they're creeping their way onto this site. Very disappointing. :(

:hatsoff2:- Kev

If only this sale had been on eBay then it wouldn't have been quite so bad, but it wasn't, it was on the sales forum on here ?

Social source share

On 11/20/2016 at 14:52, Andy Mac said:

Agreed the tune in question above is dreadful and should never have the label 'rare soul', but lets broaden it a bit.

Why is the current trend, particularly on Ebay, for sellers to say 'Rare soul'. Personally I think much of it is down to the 'price guides' that have been on the market for several years. Sellers, particularly in the US who have no real background knowledge of the soul scene, have seen that soul music can and often does realise big bucks for them, so if something is even remotely close to having that 'soul sound' it appears as 'rare soul' hoping that the Wonga follows thereafter. For most its a lack of knowledge but others its a hopeful punt that somebody latches on to it. Recently I went through a few hundred records on Ebay from a certain seller described as rare soul, only to find most were Doris Day on acid or Perry Como in his rocking chair. So having spent 2 hours of my life I wouldn't get back I sent the guy an email message with a full and frank appraisal on his taste in music. He's not responded BTW.

But lets be clear also. Much of what is described as rare soul in the UK, is not rare at all. In fact many records have been available over the years in plentiful quantities, but are still described as rare. Yes of course there are those 45's which have never surfaced in great quantities but probably 70% have. I'm still amazed when one of say the RCA 45's come up and be described as rare, when clearly its not. Confusing rarity with demand is a different thing altogether.

Finally while I'm still in full rant mode, I'm absolutely amazed at some of the prices requested by sellers on this site. I see records that have been 20 quid for the last three decades where someone is asking 100 or more. Just this week I saw a 45 to buy and its been a 20 record for years and 50 record for the last couple of years and by no means is rare. So what price ? Just shy of 200...WTF !!!! This is not uncommon with prices often above the major dealers who have staff, taxes, overheads to pay as well as make a profit.

I'm not getting into the oldies / newies debate, but yes there are many oldies out there which would be new to some on the scene and yes it seems everybody wants to be a DJ, that's why there are so many venues "you can DJ at my event if I can DJ at yours" it seems. There are of course different tastes on the soul scene and an over reliance on oldies. It must be soul destroying - no pun intended - for a DJ trying to play something different and new (ish) to see the floor clear.

FFS I going to have to stop now......breathe Andy breathe....and relax :D

Could not agree more. however I think picking on Rca was probably not a good example. Infact history has proven there are thousands of titles on stock copies on pretty much all the major logos which have eluded collectors for years, Some would argue this head scratcher was more  prevelent towards the old dimise of Vinyl in the eighties than at any other. So when you find a copy of Candy Bowmen 'Since i found you' Rca 7", give me a shout. Even finding the Grey & hanks version on a 7" is not a 'next day job' unlike 80% of these of these so called £200 northern records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, still diggin said:

Could not agree more. however I think picking on Rca was probably not a good example. Infact history has proven there are thousands of titles on stock copies on pretty much all the major logos which have eluded collectors for years, Some would argue this head scratcher was more  prevelent towards the old dimise of Vinyl in the eighties than at any other. So when you find a copy of Candy Bowmen 'Since i found you' Rca 7", give me a shout. Even finding the Grey & hanks version on a 7" is not a 'next day job' unlike 80% of these of these so called £200 northern records.

I think your missing the point a little. RCA was just an example, but you pick the exception. I could easily have said Mercury but of course we could pick out Stormy Wynters . Same for other major labels like WB, Decca etc. I didn't actually specify any particular tune but was thinking of say...Roy Hamilton.

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

I think your missing the point a little. RCA was just an example, but you pick the exception. I could easily have said Mercury but of course we could pick out Stormy Wynters . Same for other major labels like WB, Decca etc. I didn't actually specify any particular tune but was thinking of say...Roy Hamilton.

Yes, Roy hamilton is a good example, however he's way too polished and caberet for me to get worked up about what his vinyl sells for. No I did not miss the point, maybe it would have been better not mentioning any recording lable for the reason I gave, and quoted Belita woods 'magic corner' which has been on ebay all most every other week since time began, yet still goes £50 when trashed:g:.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, still diggin said:

Yes, Roy hamilton is a good example, however he's way too polished and caberet for me to get worked up about what his vinyl sells for. No I did not miss the point, maybe it would have been better not mentioning any recording lable for the reason I gave, and quoted Belita woods 'magic corner' which has been on ebay all most every other week since time began, yet still goes £50 when trashed:g:.

Not sure where your going with this RCA thing as it seems important to you, but FYI I own very few RCA records, certainly none that are Roy Hamilton.

Simple point being made. Some records described as "rare soul" and usually fetch money are NOT rare. There is confusion between rarity and demand. Many of these are found on major labels with large output - but not always. Some ebay sellers use the "rare soul" tag to try to increase value.

Hopefully this clarifies it.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
On 21/11/2016 at 22:16, tlscapital said:

You didn't know that one ? I think there

3 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

You missed Dickie Henderson and Noele Gordon. :boxing:

Basically your thinking like me anyone who recorded a record with a hook drums and strings back in the sixties or 70's:g:

Social source share

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 09:52, WoodButcher said:

I'm referring to this monstrosity being lauded as a "Rare soul" record ... which it never was , is not now , nor ever will be ... :dash2:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s12MuwQwIrmp

The price is coming down on this classic , seems as it was listed a bit to high to temp anyone.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!