Stax Dancers

El Corol

27 minutes ago, SWIFTY said:

Lovely record this - William Bell - The Man in the Street :thumbsup:

Probably my all-time favourite record (I have two copies 'just in case'), along with The Whole Worlds A Picture Show by the Newcomers. Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, stateside said:

I didn't discover this until a few years ago. I just love all the strings and the way Mavis comes in for her first verse. One of my all time favourite Stax tracks

Kev

Fantastic track - played it out in Memphis this year!!  From the Boy Meets Girl album - lots like it on the album.... 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Johnnie Taylor "Love Bones". (Apart from "Friday" And "Blue In",on Wanted One Lp he has loads of Stax midtempo dancers worth a look) ,do Ace /kent still own the rights?

Social source share

Probably worth picking this album up for Jimmy Hughes alone.  I was also going to mention Mel & Tim - Free for All, Major Lance - "Story of my life" and "I wanna make up", William Bell - "Why is the wine Sweeter", Luther Ingram - Home don't seem like a home", Emotions - Stealing love. Would be great to go to a Stax only night out

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Lest we forget, the adorable  Ian  Geoffrey Levine ,compiled aCD in June 2015 for Ace/Kent " Solid Stax Sensations" ,cdkend435, which includes the Roz Ryan's,   Rance. 'S etc,etc and loads of dancers of inimatable. Quality and taste , Check it out ,Johnny ,Malaga, Espana,LOL.

Social source share

Some good 'uns already up here and why wouldn't there be? Stax made so many great recordings and boasted a brilliant roster of talent.

I'd add just a few,  Soul Children - Hearsay, Sam & Dave - You dont know like I know, Barkays - Soul finger, Staple Singers - City in the sky, Eddie Floyd - Big bird, Otis - Shake

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
3 hours ago, Rick Smith said:

Johnny Taylor - Friday Night

This is such a great oldie ! Steve Clancy played it at the last 100 club - best record of the nite !!

Social source share

The two Kent CD compilations of Stax/Volt dancers 'Do The Crossover' and 'Let's Crossover Again' were great a decade or two ago now and essential listening along with the Ian Levine compiled set last year.  I've been working through those three sets of all the Stax singles that were put out years ago and still find songs anew in there that seem never to have become the big plays they would if on other more obscure labels.  It won't happen of course, but I'd be equally happy with all the b-sides being issued too.  Especially in the '72-closure era a lot of that was ignored it feels but has great songs behind the obvious chart hits.

Checking back to the Kent Records page for Stax the other releases there have good selections too.  I forgot how many releases they have featured on Stax such as the 'Gospel Truth' and 'Nobody Wins' sets.  Many have been and gone and aren't listened at the site anymore.

Edited by ThinkSmart
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, ThinkSmart said:

The two Kent CD compilations of Stax/Volt dancers 'Do The Crossover' and 'Let's Crossover Again' were great a decade or two ago now and essential listening along with the Ian Levine compiled set last year.  I've been working through those three sets of all the Stax singles that were put out years ago and still find songs anew in there that seem never to have become the big plays they would if on other more obscure labels.  It won't happen of course, but I'd be equally happy with all the b-sides being issued too.  Especially in the '72-closure era a lot of that was ignored it feels but has great songs behind the obvious chart hits.

Checking back to the Kent Records page for Stax the other releases there have good selections too.  I forgot how many releases they have featured on Stax such as the 'Gospel Truth' and 'Nobody Wins' sets.  Many have been and gone and aren't listened at the site anymore.

Well put.

The two "crossover" CD's became an  inspiration for me to seek out as many of the 45's on them that I could afford

and are still highly treasured and listened to many times by me.

Sadly IMOP the Levine compilation, was a missed opportunity to expand the initial CD release discography to include many more obscure "Crossover/Northern" tracks , as it duplicated many many of those in original compilations.

Credit though for the inclusion of " (Let Hurt Put You In The) Loser's Seat", "can you win"  the Proud as Punch and the Dramatics tracks.

Months before it's release I'd contacted Adey to suggest that it would be nice to see a third Volume in the series and at his request

submitted a number of tracks that might be considered for it. In the end they decided to run with inviting Ian Levine to compile  further volume .

Either way it's great that we get the opportunity to listen to the crackle free masters of these wonderful tracks.

For the un-initiated the details of these compilations can be found by following the links below:

Ian Levine's Solid Stax Sensations

Do The Crossover Baby

Let's Crossover Again

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!