Andy Ruws Promotions

Guest gibber

Going through some old flyers come across Andy Ruw`s All dayers at the ILFORD PALAIS

Junior Warker appeared at one All dayer.

Were they any good ? Never heard much about them.

Flyer dated 29th August with cash prise of £300 for the best N/soul dancer.

Not sure of year unsure.gif .

Over to you London :thumbsup:

Edited by gibber
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Wasn't it Andy Ruw that done the Civic in Orpington in the early 80's...

Scoots used to come from miles around for that... no bar so you had sweets and softdrinks...

one of my mates went to a do in the 90's in Deptford at the crypt.. turned out to be a gay club.. and the dj was Andy Ruw but he used a differnt name... (never did ask my mate why he went)

Social source share

I was one of Andy's working DJs during 1983, along with Mike Hedley and Lee Madden. His events were predominantly aimed at the under-18s, but it was fun playing the big Northern sounds of the time, with the kids looking rather bemused! Next week, hoards of them would turn up in army greens, boxer boots and dance to "Psychotic Reaction" by Count Five!

My main residency under Andy was the Saturday afternoon sessions at the WAG club (ex-Whisky A Go Go) in Soho, keeping the under-agers out of trouble, away from the peep shows and red-light areas!

Andy was a good bloke to chat to, and his wife was an extremely charming lady. Mike now lives in Heathrow and still gets along to the soul clubs. Wonder what Mr and Mrs Moore (Ruw) and Lee are doing now?

Aah, memories.....................

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

When I said Andy done a gay club never ment he was Gay.. had been round he's house once met he's misses ... always remeber seeing loads1000's of LP, in hes garage I think... my mate Dom Basset used to dj for him in the 80's as well

Dom and I branched off to run Woolwich Poly Fri and Sun nites in 1984. Do you still hear from him? Send him my best if so .................ta!

Social source share

I was one of Andy's working DJs during 1983, along with Mike Hedley and Lee Madden. His events were predominantly aimed at the under-18s, but it was fun playing the big Northern sounds of the time, with the kids looking rather bemused! Next week, hoards of them would turn up in army greens, boxer boots and dance to "Psychotic Reaction" by Count Five!

My main residency under Andy was the Saturday afternoon sessions at the WAG club (ex-Whisky A Go Go) in Soho, keeping the under-agers out of trouble, away from the peep shows and red-light areas!

Andy was a good bloke to chat to, and his wife was an extremely charming lady. Mike now lives in Heathrow and still gets along to the soul clubs. Wonder what Mr and Mrs Moore (Ruw) and Lee are doing now?

Aah, memories.....................

Thanks guys , no listing of djs on flyer just top djs from up north

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

We made the trip over to the Palais dayers a couple of times. I remember one soul boy getting all angry because in the dance comp, only mods were chosen for 'the final', and although it was a soul dance comp, there were no soul dancers. Only mates of the organisers.

I always had a great time. Half the fun was getting drunk in the back of a Luton van with about 20 or 30 others on the way over from Gloucestershire, and then trying to get a place to sleep alongside one of the pretty (And very drunk) girls on the way home.

I remember asking on here a while ago about Tony Class. I'm pretty sure he was resident when we used to go over there. Sometimes we could make a weekend of it, and go to the Purple or Pink Toothbrush ?? in Chelmesford.

Ahh That reminds me. Kelly Webb, and her mate Squirrel. Whatever happened to them?

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

We made the trip over to the Palais dayers a couple of times. I remember one soul boy getting all angry because in the dance comp, only mods were chosen for 'the final', and although it was a soul dance comp, there were no soul dancers. Only mates of the organisers.

I always had a great time. Half the fun was getting drunk in the back of a Luton van with about 20 or 30 others on the way over from Gloucestershire, and then trying to get a place to sleep alongside one of the pretty (And very drunk) girls on the way home.

I remember asking on here a while ago about Tony Class. I'm pretty sure he was resident when we used to go over there. Sometimes we could make a weekend of it, and go to the Purple or Pink Toothbrush ?? in Chelmesford.

Ahh That reminds me. Kelly Webb, and her mate Squirrel. Whatever happened to them?

I remember the one at the Hammersmith Palais "The History of northern soul whistling.gif " , was that one promoted by others ? :D

Social source share

Dom and I branched off to run Woolwich Poly Fri and Sun nites in 1984. Do you still hear from him? Send him my best if so .................ta!

Gene was that the one near the police station?

remember going to a do near there on the corner I think.. and when we left my mate had a very loud pipe on hes Lamby, as we rode round the block..Police stn.. old bill came out grabed him and pulled him off the back ... things where good in them days :D

no don't see him... when I gave up scooters and Northern in 84/85 I gave him my records to sell... git never did give me any money... but have seen him since and friendship was more important so I never said anything rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

the Purple or Pink Toothbrush ?? in Chelmesford.

it's the Pink Toothbrush.

Otherwise known as the (insert convenient number here)....'th circle of Dante's Inferno. :lol:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

They were shite. But it did give me & Eddie Piller the idea of running our own clubs & Alldayer at the Ilford Palais. We formed MIND promotions with Ray Margetson & did our own Alldayer with a lot of help from Eddies dad.. I've still got the poster some where. I think we did 3 altogether.

The Pink Toothbrush is in Rayleigh High St it's still there as an Indie club.

Social source share

• 10 years later...
Guest northernsoul62

I dj'd for Andy Ruw at orpington civic saxon tavern le beatroute and ilford would like to think i got Gene Robertson and Nick Brown into northern soul

Social source share

I went to one of the Orpington dos as a 15 or 16 year old and remember hearing lots of stuff that was new to me at the time - Sidras Theme, Epitome of Sound, Benny Troy, The Majestics, Rose Batiste to name but a few. I even managed to get a tape with them all on it but no listing.

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Was explaining to a work colleague that my dad was a dj/promoter in the 70's/80's and googled his stage name to see if he came up.

Led me here!!

Glad to say my Dad (Andy Ruw) is in good health and retired living in Swanley.

I used to work with him behind the drink/sweets bar, in the cloakroom, or taking money on the door, at his various gigs and alldayers.

Great memories!!

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I know this is an old thread but I came across it because I used to go to the civic and I'm writing about dancing... does anyone know who DJed there a bit later, doing the Friday nights around 1987 where the music was more hip hop and early house? 

Social source share

On 22/11/2017 at 17:39, Ian M said:

Was explaining to a work colleague that my dad was a dj/promoter in the 70's/80's and googled his stage name to see if he came up.

Led me here!!

Glad to say my Dad (Andy Ruw) is in good health and retired living in Swanley.

I used to work with him behind the drink/sweets bar, in the cloakroom, or taking money on the door, at his various gigs and alldayers.

Great memories!!

Hi Ian, would it be possible to get in touch with your dad? the sweets bar was good btw... bags of shrimps :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!