Steve S 60

Beer

2 minutes ago, kev cane said:

Drunken Duck, near Ambleside, am saving up my pocket money for that one Mike, Lakes is my favourite place on earth:hatsoff2:

I love the Lakes at this time of the year. Used to be a tradition of ours to go to the Britannia Inn at Elterwater between Xmas and New Year, walk the beautiful surroundings with the dogs and then pitch up at the pub for soup and a sandwich and a couple of pints.

9 hours ago, kev cane said:

On the money Mike, we are staying at one of their cottages 2 minutes away from the pub, did you try their Hurdler which is brewed next door in their own brewery ?

Kev

Great pub ,been there a few times, the last time we chatted to the guy who does the brewing, he showed us the brewery, small but perfectly formed as they say , great beers as well.

12 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Great pub ,been there a few times, the last time we chatted to the guy who does the brewing, he showed us the brewery, small but perfectly formed as they say , great beers as well.

Great food aswell, yes, spoke to the brewer early one morning when we stayed last year, its one of the most peaceful places for a break, nice walk into Bowness, boat into Ambleside and then onto one of the many Wainwright fells that need climbing, can't wait until January, over there for a week

Kev

Now this looks like my sort of thread. Really into Weinwrights golden Ale at the moment, also like Badgers Peachy and  Marston's Pedigree New World Pale Ale which i`ve just found out is now in a bottle at supermarkets :shhh::thumbsup:. Really enjoying sampling the Golden ales in the Midlands which i shall  be heading up to tomorrow. 

Good call re Lake District,went to Castleton in the summer,not only great views and nice places to walk , the Ales were quality. Tried so many lose track  of what i had.  :D

This is better then collecting records .:P:P.

Anyone been watching Olly Smiths Ale Trail on the Travel Channel, it's set in America , he goes to a different state in each episode, some interesting beers, not sure if it is on at different times during the week I caught it by chance  whilst Lou was looking through the channels for some trash tv to watch. I'd like to hear him say that's sh**e just the once as everything he has tasted so far has been outstanding but it is well worth a watch.

Always enjoyed German beers my favourite being Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Helles although I've only been able to get it here once and it wasn't the same as when I had it over in Munich. Quite enjoy the weissbiers too although they can be a bit like a meal in a glass! I've recently started trying IPA's and craft beers such as Brew Dog which are quite nice! As many have mentioned, the major supermarkets have been selling them for some time now and some are regularly on a deal so it's great being able to drink some quality beer and ales instead of wife beater/cooking lager. Sure they're a bit dearer but they taste much nicer and I find I'm never as rough the next day! 

We were told to start on a light beer around 4-4.5% and work your way up. Usually end on something like a Paulaner Salvator! Bloody strong! 

Decent thread! 

3 hours ago, Bruv said:

I drink this stuff by the Gallon but it still hasn't improved my, Dancing!  :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

11880314_1171340402895732_5852814867148907063_n.jpg

It does say single hop, no promise of a skip and a jump...I'll close the door on my way out......

My two from tonight , one from Australia imported by Sheppard Neame, the other from Leeds Brewery, both excellent, the Hell Fire has a very bitter aftertaste, lovely. The Sail and Anchor kind of sweet , heavy in the mouth if you know what I mean. Both from a larger Morrisons, they had about three from the Aussie Brewery and a couple of other I've not seen in my local smaller Morrisons . 

WP_20170111_20_23_14_Pro[1].jpg

11 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

My two from tonight , one from Australia imported by Sheppard Neame, the other from Leeds Brewery, both excellent, the Hell Fire has a very bitter aftertaste, lovely. The Sail and Anchor kind of sweet , heavy in the mouth if you know what I mean. Both from a larger Morrisons, they had about three from the Aussie Brewery and a couple of other I've not seen in my local smaller Morrisons . 

WP_20170111_20_23_14_Pro[1].jpg

I enjoy a good, strong clean tasting pale ale. My problem is that I drink too much and need to lose weight - vodka is low in calories! Going to have Friday off so might have a look for one of those. 

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I enjoy a good, strong clean tasting pale ale. My problem is that I drink too much and need to lose weight - vodka is low in calories! Going to have Friday off so might have a look for one of those. 

They had a couple from Hardknott in Cumbria too, one of which is an IPA , both have a drink by date late 2018, they've gone under the stairs to hopefully to mature, I'm going to have to look into the ageing of beers after seeing it mentioned on Olly's Ale trail which I mentioned earlier in the thread. They recommended beers with a high alcohol content, stouts and bottle conditioned beers as being ideal for ageing.

had a couple of McEwan's Champion Whisky Edition tonight, very nice, love the dark beers for some reason, also a couple of Brakspear Oxford gold and a couple of Young's Double Chocolate

I also booze in a Sam Smiths pub, I usually mix the stout and bitter (black & tan) but they sell organic chocolate stout in a bottle, fantastic drink but just the one at £3.80 a bottle.

bloke pulled up in his car t'other day, wound t' windo' down and said "where's t' nearest boozer?" I said "tha's lookin' at him!"

samuel-smiths-chocolate-stout-p1494-1697_zoom.jpg

13 hours ago, billb said:

had a couple of McEwan's Champion Whisky Edition tonight, very nice, love the dark beers for some reason, also a couple of Brakspear Oxford gold and a couple of Young's Double Chocolate

I also booze in a Sam Smiths pub, I usually mix the stout and bitter (black & tan) but they sell organic chocolate stout in a bottle, fantastic drink but just the one at £3.80 a bottle.

bloke pulled up in his car t'other day, wound t' windo' down and said "where's t' nearest boozer?" I said "tha's lookin' at him!"

I've got a bottle of the McEwan's on the rack could be one for later, that Chocolate Stout looks interesting, not sure about all this Organic stuff , I'll have to look out for that at the next Carlton Club where they have Sam Smiths . Mention of Black and Tan brought back memories of mi old Dad , not heard it mentioned for years , brought a Sunday morning smile to my face ,cheers for that.

Aaahh...a topic right up my street !!  Currently enjoy (Bottled, in Wetherspoons) MEANTIME Chocolate Porter (good name that), 6.5%, very rich and dark and Chocolately !  Also, on tap and in bottles, Wychwood Brewery HOBGOBLIN dark ruby ale, excellent ! Try as well, Wychwoods King Goblin Reserve, strong, indulgent, bottles only, and Black Wytch Porter, def not for Lager type peoples.

Great thread....well done to Steve for starting it

I now live in the middle of Kent and we have had lots of new micropubs open in the last few years (in fact I'm going to open one myself as soon as I can find some nice premises) and we've also got lots of great small breweries opening up.

Some of my favourite Kentish breweries:

Hopdaemon

Goody

Old Dairy

Wantsum

Goachers

Pig & Porter

Gadds

For a northern beer, I've been really impressed with the Lancaster Blonde recently.  I've also really been knocked out by some of the Tiny Rebel beers from South Wales.

All hail to the ale

Looking forward to the launch of Vanya Yam by the Appleby Brewery on 1st March.  It's to help raise funds for Eden Mencap, who need the money to buy their premises in Penrith.  The name Vanya Yam is local Cumbrian dialect for nearly home.  Some of the special needs guys who use the facilities were on the local news tonight, helping out at the brewery.

On 14/01/2017 at 21:46, billb said:

For the perfect Black & Tan.....

Just make sure you pour the stout first then the bitter will sink / mix with it. If you pour the bitter first, then when you pour the stout it will float as it's lighter so you'll get a layer.

Years ago if the bitter weren't great, I'd ask for a bottle of Mann's Brown Ale and mix it with the bitter (brown & bitter split)

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 00:03, billb said:

Years ago if the bitter weren't great, I'd ask for a bottle of Mann's Brown Ale and mix it with the bitter (brown & bitter split)

Me too. If the bitter was Stones or John Smiths for example I'd have a pint of mixed (mild and bitter)

Just had a couple of bottles of Aldi's "Wild Bill's IPA".  Brewed by Marstons but far more bitter than a typical Marstons brew.  Not a bad drink for £1.19.

went down south west years ago on the sccoters, pulled into a pub and my mate asked for a pint of mixed. He took one sip, nearly spat it over me and said "Bill wtf is this they've give me?"

I took a sip and said "it's cider!"

He said to the bar maid, "scuse me, but I asked for a pint of mixed and you gave me cider!"

She said "yes, half of sweet and half of dry!"

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:36, bbrich said:

thinking about it are there any soul events where you can actually get some decent draft ale ? 

soul function had a nice stout, and a couple of other decent local casks on, if you do kings hall call in at the white star a titanic brewery pub at the top of the car park.

Just what you need after a hard day at work, not had many canned ales other than those from the major brewers Guinness etc, given to me by my boss, not being one for high alcohol content I approached it with trepidation 7.2%. Brewed in St Andrews at Eden Mill, Scotland's original single site distillery and brewery, so it says on the can.

WP_20170124_18_04_29_Pro[1].jpg

Beer club at work ordered our last batch from Williams Bros Brewery of Alloa, a great selection of beers, Darks, Blonde, Stout and Fruity, highly recommended.

5 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Aldi start their Summer Beer Festival on Monday with a selection of sixteen very nice summer ales, all priced at £1.29 a bottle.  May be tempted to drop in for a mixed crate.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/summer-beer-festival

Enjoy.

Thanks Steve, I'll have some of that.  :)  :hatsoff2:  

Posted (edited)

The single worst thing about soul gigs is that there's no decent beer to drink.......and I like real ale as much as I like my music!

All Euro-piss and smooth pour......shame!

I'll drink whatever I have to drink in the name of soul though, but it's usually not my preference.  I have a "4 for £6" from ASDA for the caravan at Cleethorpes this weekend......just to keep me sane in between the cases of lager we all take.....and the beer in the venue.

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R

Where is the best real ale pub in Cleethorpes?

Been on t'internet and a few names come up;- Number One Pub, Wetherspoons and Trawlermans.

Anyone know which is best or any other suggestions?

Meeting up Friday afternoon with Bruce Doyle, Colin, Jess and a few of the Bury boys.

Julian

56 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Where is the best real ale pub in Cleethorpes?

Been on t'internet and a few names come up;- Number One Pub, Wetherspoons and Trawlermans.

Anyone know which is best or any other suggestions?

Meeting up Friday afternoon with Bruce Doyle, Colin, Jess and a few of the Bury boys.

Julian

I always go to Trawlerman, right opposite Beachcobmer so very  onvenient. 

I wouldn't really call it a real ale pub but the Pedigree is passable!

Fantastic carvery too!

Cheers,

Mark R 

Anyone visiting Devon this summer? Try Jail Ale from the Dartmoor Brewery.Lush!! Also from west Wiltshire Rucking Mole from the Mole brewery.Both out of the hand pump if possible.Got to dash.....my Hobgoblin is going flat!! Les Ash.

1 hour ago, deadwaxdetective said:

Anyone visiting Devon this summer? Try Jail Ale from the Dartmoor Brewery.Lush!! Also from west Wiltshire Rucking Mole from the Mole brewery.Both out of the hand pump if possible.Got to dash.....my Hobgoblin is going flat!! Les Ash.

Thanks for the tip Les, I will be going to Devon soon my sister has lived in Exeter for donkeys years, and I am due a visit. :)  :thumbup: 

Brewdog electric india

found this quite odd wont bother with it again

good price for the brakspear.....

And pinner ipa from tesco was a nice find last weekend will be having that again.

Such a great selection of ipa now i might need to start writing down the good and bad ones as some are far better than others...

going to cornwall in a couple of weeks so will work my way round the cornish pale ales.

sharps atlantic is a good bet from the supermarkets.

15 minutes ago, dylan said:

Such a great selection of ipa now i might need to start writing down the good and bad ones as some are far better than others...

going to cornwall in a couple of weeks so will work my way round the cornish pale ales.

sharps atlantic is a good bet from the supermarkets.

Enjoy Doombar on draught.  It seems to travel well.

On 07/06/2017 at 21:55, Steve S 60 said:

Golden Bolt  from the Box Steam Brewery in Wiltshire is my pick of the bunch from the Aldi Beer Festival so far.

golden-bolt-1-w235h445@2x.thumb.jpg.c68d3566f440ac64b0ad628d14a76b63.jpg

B & M are now stocking this at £1.25 a bottle, which is nice.

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Related Soul Music Links