Some Brilliant (& Important) New Soul Footage

Pete S

Managed to get hold of two new episodes of the 1965 Night Train show, details are in sales but just to get the info out in the open, these are the master tapes for the clips of Eddie Hill, Joe Matthews and Tony Clarke that turned up 3 years back, but also included here is a fantastic performance of My Girl And I by Ray Pollard. Jackie Shane is on there but I can't tell if it's a woman or a man! Anyway track listings are below, I am really excited about these.

HOSTED BY NOBLE BLACKWELL

BUDDY & STACEY - SHOTGUN (with Jimi Hendrix on guitar!)

JIMMY CHURCH - IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR

PEGGY GAINES - ONE STEP AWAY

EDDIE HILL - BABY I CRIED

RAY POLLARD - MY GIRL AND I

THE AVONS - BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN

JACKIE SHANE - WALKING THE DOG

THE HI-TONES - COME FLY WITH ME

JAMES CRAWFORD - IF YOU DON'T WORK YOU CAN'T EAT

PAMELA RALEFORD - CC RIDER

TONY CLARKE - THE ENTERTAINER

JOE MATTHEWS - SHE'S MY BEAUTY QUEEN

THE SPIDELLS - SO MUCH IN LOVE

JULIA TURNER - MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY

JIMMY CHURCH - EASE MY TROUBLED MIND

THE COMMANDERS - SHOUT

JIMMY CHURCH - DO YOU LOVE ME

THE SPIDELLS - NEVER LET ME GO

PAMELA RALEFORD - ALL I COULD DO WAS CRY

JOE PERKINS - RUNAWAY TRAIN

THE AVONS - YOU SEND ME

JOHNNY STEELE?? - THANKS TO YOU

GOOD ROCKIN' HARPIE?? - COME ON HOME

FREDDIE NORTH - GOOD TIMES

PEGGY GAINES - EVIL GAL BLUES

HAL HARDY - DOGGIN' ME AROUND

THE SPIDELLS - SAD BOY SAD GIRL

JIMMY CHURCH & THE HI-TONES - MY GIRL

IRONING BOARD SAM - STICKS AND STONES

JOE PERKINS - PEOPLE

THE AVONS - HEATWAVE

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Jackie Shane is on there but I can't tell if it's a woman or a man!

Like Bobby Marchan, Jackie Shane was a man who lived a lot of his life as a woman and who felt more comfortable dressed as one. He would doubtless be very pleased to know that you couldn't tell "Stalk" from "Bummer", Pete! biggrin.gif

TONE

Social source share

Like Bobby Marchan, Jackie Shane was a man who lived a lot of his life as a woman and who felt more comfortable dressed as one. He would doubtless be very pleased to know that you couldn't tell "Stalk" from "Bummer", Pete! biggrin.gif

TONE

I was just a bit thrown mate, I thought Jackie was a bloke then I see this slim, made-up person and I'm starting to wonder...very ambiguous!

Social source share

Great clip Pete. I have one of those Night Train progs in the collection somewhere as well so will have a look later and see who is on it. By the way, I am certain I read that our Jackie made a few dates at the Hines Blues Farm in Ohio whose owners weren't afraid to put on those who were comfortable with their gender/sexuality. The book on the place is fantastic with old posters and pics and a must if you dont own it yet!

Social source share

Great clip Pete. I have one of those Night Train progs in the collection somewhere as well so will have a look later and see who is on it. By the way, I am certain I read that our Jackie made a few dates at the Hines Blues Farm in Ohio whose owners weren't afraid to put on those who were comfortable with their gender/sexuality. The book on the place is fantastic with old posters and pics and a must if you dont own it yet!

Neil, the line is up of the original Night Train disc is the same as the second disc more or less

the Avons,

the Spidells,

Hal Hardy,

Jimmy Church,

Freddie North,

Ironing Board Sam,

Pamela Releford,

Jeffery Allen,

Sandra King,

Joe Perkins

I put nearly all of those up on YouTube

What's the Johnny Steele clip like? Both records of his I've heard are really good, particularly his Fame single.

Superb - deep soul track, like that Freddie North one from the same show a couple of weeks back

Social source share

Superb clip, how do you manage to source all this fantastic dvd stuff you put out Pete ?

Had to titter a bit though, if you keep an eye on the backing singers/dancers it sums up the argument that 'White men can't dance' ! biggrin.gif The black guy on the left is doing his damndest to keep them in time but it just ain't happening. :D

Social source share

Had to titter a bit though, if you keep an eye on the backing singers/dancers it sums up the argument that 'White men can't dance' ! biggrin.gif The black guy on the left is doing his damndest to keep them in time but it just ain't happening. :D

Maybe it's a trick of the light Bogue but they all look black to me, which maybe goes to show that all black people don't have rythm biggrin.gif .

Social source share

Maybe it's a trick of the light Bogue but they all look black to me, which maybe goes to show that all black people don't have rythm biggrin.gif .

From a distance, and because of the hair straightening, they do look white, but I think they are the black trio The Hi-Tones who recorded Bigger And Better on Abet

Social source share

This is from Queermusicheratige.com, there is an article on Jackie - Great clip by the way!

Lounge singer Jackie Shane was considered very risque during the more subdued Toronto club era of the early 1960's. As a black androgynous soul singer, often backed by Frank Motley And The Hitchhikers (featuring saxophonist King Herbert) at the Sapphire Club, Shane commanded overflow crowds as much for his silky smooth voice as for his flamboyant effeminate stage persona.

With constant club engagements throughout Canada and parts of the US as far away as California and Hawaii, Shane was able to release his one and only hit record, "Any Other Way", in April 1963. The song reached No. 2 in Canada and sustained itself on the charts for 9 consecutive weeks.

To capitalize on his popularity he also recorded a live album but by the late 1960's drifted into obscurity. Many rumours have circulated over the years about his untimely death but none have ever been confirmed.

I reckon he looks quite cute :lol: :secret:

Social source share

:yes: That's what i said 'Black men can't dance' !

Must admit, i wasn't too sure about the one in the middle, but the one on the right is white isn't he ? :lol:

Whatever colour, worst bunch of dancing backing singers i've ever seen :P

Social source share

Hi Pete

Met Jimmy Church last year in Nashville, he is still out most weekends doing gigs and voice is still great. Offered him to a well known weekender promoter to bring over here and was greeted with silence. A real shame as it would be great to get him over here, someone different instead of the same old artists year after year. Also nice to see an artist that can still sing and knows the lyrics to their songs. Just my opion

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Hi Pete

Met Jimmy Church last year in Nashville, he is still out most weekends doing gigs and voice is still great. Offered him to a well known weekender promoter to bring over here and was greeted with silence. A real shame as it would be great to get him over here, someone different instead of the same old artists year after year. Also nice to see an artist that can still sing and knows the lyrics to their songs. Just my opion

Absolutely. I think I've got more clips of him then any other atist - shame he was made to do cover versions of the hits of the moment mainly...

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert