If you had £150

Kenb

If you had £150 to spend on records (I haven’t right now) AND you were about to make your first purchase (I’m not) – WHAT would you spend it on? Would you ‘blow’ it all on one record or buy several. Box sets excluded.

It might help Ianc1971-see Don’t know whether…

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Kenb said:

If you had £150 to spend on records (I haven’t right now) AND you were about to make your first purchase (I’m not) – WHAT would you spend it on? Would you ‘blow’ it all on one record or buy several. Box sets excluded.

If you're talking about starting to collect then I think the most important thing is to spend some time thinking about what interests you and what parameters you're going to set yourself. For example, it may be mainly Detroit 60s soul but also some early 70s . 

With this as an example, going back to your question, as a new collector I'd be looking to buy about ten records with £150. If it was Detroit soul that could be Rictic, Golden world etc. That would be a combination of £5.00, to £25.00 original records. That would be a good base to build on.

But the main thing is to find an area that really interests and collect with that in mind, not to impress other people.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, maslar said:

With this as an example, going back to your question, as a new collector I'd be looking to buy about ten records with £150. If it was Detroit soul that could be Rictic, Golden world etc. That would be a combination of £5.00, to £25.00 original records. That would be a good base to build on.

22 minutes ago, marktsoulman said:

How about just buying something on OVO that you really like?

Mark T

Isn't that what the man said ?, or have the OVO police now specified that only £100 plus records are truly OVO.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, marktsoulman said:

Kegsy, I guess you misunderstood my poorly made comment... It was meant more in the spirit of not getting too hung up on Chicago, Detroit, or a cable or so on... Just buy what you like........I don't see any reference to price.... Just passion...

Ok mate no worries, I thought you were suggesting blowing all the money on one sound.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Kenb said:

hhC

9 hours ago, Kenb said:

Cheers Kenb but i've just acquired a substantial collection for a 15th of that (not vinyl so i dont know if counts)

Social source share

36 minutes ago, SHSDave said:

Beat me to it, was going to say listen to you tube & spend £150 on a cheap woman, decent booze & waste the rest :D

£133 will not get you a cheap woman and decent booze and there will certainly be nowt left over to waste.

Now, when I were a lad we used to go to the pictures on a Friday night, have some of those Paynes chocolate Poppets, fish and chips on the way home with change from ten bob. Believe me, when I say we looked for cheap women, we searched and searched. We couldn't find any women. That was Mablethorpe for you.

:(

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

J J Barnes - Please let me in - Ric Tic

Spyder Turner - I cant make it anymore - MGM US

Darrell Banks -Our love - open the door - Revilot

Dobie Gray - Out on the floor - Charger

Impressions - You been cheatin - ABC P

San Remo Strings - Festival Time - Ric tic 

Johnny Wyatt - This thing called love - UK President

Prophets - I Got the fever -Smash 

Maybe even sneak - Dusty Springfield - Whats it gonna be - Phillips 

Not a bad line up should get for £150 mind you never know with whats going on with demand now

Dancers 

stin

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

in 74Theres a few cracking compilation albums some chock full of freat sounds,  get down with it has all little richards releases on the okeh label with sleeve notes by paul mcartney. This is northern soul with sleeve notes courtesy of richard searling  which has bobbie smith dickie wonder the servicemen doni burdick soul communicators  fantastic album if you can find it, levines solid soul sensations is a cracker too his first compilation album released In 74.  Another comp called for collectors only which i think was on soul supply. Which i remember was the source for a bootleg ep 45 with four tracks on it i was given by mad mick from notts (R.i.P) , included the topics the nomads the ellusions and cecil washington , . I later acquired this lp to find all four recordings in this one lp. As pointed out ealrier any of the kent releases, the chess story the story of sue . The compilation of the detroit labels , d town we 3 . All raw underproduced gems like lee rogers dee edwards buddy lamp the fabulous peps, . Ive only ever seen this on a comp cd but if you see it buy it, . Bargain.  Id probably blow ma entire wad on something ive probably already bought three times , two of those from the same person. ( kid  you not!)  or couple of bobby womacks , anne sextons and a copy of the soul twins , shes the one or johnnie mae matthews. . . 

Social source share

EDWIN STARR (Time) + (Running Back And Forth) on Gordy, 2 great sides. £30.?

GENE CHANDLER (There Was a Time) Brunswick. £40.?

JOHNNY TAYLOR (Friday Night) Stax. £10.?

JOE TEX (Show Me) Dial. £5.?

JERRY BUTLER (Moody Woman) Mercury. £8.?

DON COVAY (Its Better To Have And Don't Need) Mercury. £5.?

ROY HEAD (Treat Her Right) Back Beat. £5.?

BOBBY HEBB (Love Love Love) Philips. £8.?

MITCH RYDER (Breakout) New Voice. £5.?

HUMAN BEINZ (Nobody But Me) Capitol. £10.?

BOBBY McCLURE (You Got Me Baby) Checker, £15.?

Enough to play an oldies set for 45mins, and have some left over for a bag of chips on the way home.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!