THE BLUE SHARKS: THE SOUL SCENE'S LONGEST EVER 'COVER-UP'?

Gene-R

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2017 at 21:24, guest said:

Thought there might have been a deluge of copies [Mike Morton LP] turn up after this thread but apart from the ones on discogs etc no more it would seem ?

not easy to find as it sold nowt in 1971. I have picked one up on Ebay, but it was the only one that has shown up for weeks and the seller had no idea it was soight after.

Social source share

On 06/12/2016 at 14:17, maslar said:

I first heard the Blue Sharks version on the Destiny Record Collector Lp in about 1980. I thought it was an ok if slightly sub-standard version of a great record. I've just listened to it again (the first time in decades) and I've got to say the best thing about it is the vocal which is adequate. The arrangement is pretty poor.

So this track is basically an early 70s "session cover", exactly the same as the Top Of The Pops LPs and such like. Not that these were necessarily musically bad - in some cases they were equal to or better than the original. But nevertheless it's a substandard track when compared to the original and the idea that anyone would pay £700 or even £50 for it I find quite baffling. Maybe £20 to £30 would be ok.

A quick  google search finds that Barbara Kay was the voice of The Piglets (Johnny Reggae). :)

I always thought that was Adrienne Posta!  Maybe she did the TOTP.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Pete S said:

It was Adrienne Posta!....she was top totty back then. :shhh:

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Pete S said:

The info comes from King himself. Apparently the singers had to deliberately sound young  and King himself is singing backing in a "schoolgirl voice". Not sure Adrienne Posta would want to be associated with it at that time. she was doing tv and film work then and probably didn't need the money for what would be, for her, a one-off..  But who know? maybe she swore King to secrecy? 

Social source share

Just now, maslar said:

The info comes from King himself. Apparently the singers had to deliberately sound young  and King himself is singing backing in a "schoolgirl voice". Not sure Adrienne Posta would want to be associated with it at that time. she was doing tv and film work then and probably didn't need the money for what would be, for her, a one-off..  But who know? maybe she swore King to secrecy? 

No she was definitely the voice of the group on TOTP, remember it distinctly. I'll see if I can find evidence.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Pete S said:

He looks me in the eye when he shoots! :P

It was Adrienne Posta!....she was top totty back then. :shhh:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

P

8 hours ago, CheltSoulNights said:

Similiar but the Blue Sharks release sounds much brighter on the backing and better produced?

The Lp sounds slightly muffled? Has the sample posted been made at a low bitrate?

The LP plays loud and crystal clear on my copy, it is the sample that is muffled which might be the bit rate it is sampled at

Edited by jim g
Social source share

On 13/01/2017 at 16:07, dave pinch said:

OV of blue sharks ... Must be worth £20 to someone

Now, here is one to debate for the OV fans. Should they play the Mike Morton LP track or the Blue Sharks single (Given the Mike Morton LP was the original). Bit like Bobby Hutton, OV dictates is must be played from the LP not the ABC release in the UK (if I have read the OV rules correctly :-) )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, jim g said:

Now, here is one to debate for the OV fans. Should they play the Mike Morton LP track or the Blue Sharks single (Given the Mike Morton LP was the original). Bit like Bobby Hutton, OV dictates is must be played from the LP not the ABC release in the UK (if I have read the OV rules correctly :-) )

let them all don their anoraks and  retire to a quiet dark room and debate it on their own please!:shhh::P

Edited by Guest
Social source share

9 hours ago, CheltSoulNights said:

Similiar but the Blue Sharks release sounds much brighter on the backing and better produced?

The Lp sounds slightly muffled? Has the sample posted been made at a low bitrate?

I recorded all 4 clips at same volume and quality - (mp3s at 128kbs converted from wav files at 44.1K) I agree, the LP clip does sound muffled in comparison to the 45 clip, but plays fine on deck - However the 45 is much clearer and louder than the LP.

Social source share

1 hour ago, jim g said:

Mm, I think I would differ on that one Jim. Neither are boots, just first legitimate release on a seven. 

:elvis:

Social source share

1 hour ago, jim g said:

Both original...anyone who thinks otherwise is an arse

• Helpful 3
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Ted Massey said:

I just can't see why any one would want to play it out when you have the fantastic original reasonably easy to get.. its shite imo 

And for once I totallly agree with my ole' Brummie Chummy :thumbsup:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ted Massey said:

I just can't see why any one would want to play it out when you have the fantastic original reasonably easy to get.. its shite imo 

57 minutes ago, Louise said:

And for once I totallly agree with my ole' Brummie Chummy :thumbsup:

Dave

£20 for a VG+ copy of the Velvelettes on discogs, and like Ted says p*sses all over the Blue Sharks.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, davidwapples said:

It got played because it was rare. Elitist expensive several hundred pounds dj record until it was found to be a charity shop lp lol

I Think the first to play it new it was a cheap find & may I say that most collections have charity shop records in them as it's always been a cheap option :shhh::D & far from elitist!!

Kirsty

Social source share

6 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Mm, I think I would differ on that one Jim. Neither are boots, just first legitimate release on a seven. 

:elvis:

I agree, but got slammed once for suggesting such a thing by the OVO Mafia !

Social source share

7 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

let them all don their anoraks and  retire to a quiet dark room and debate it on their own please!:shhh::P

Yep, but as we all know there will be a debate somewhere!. Anyways I will be selling my Mike Morton LP soon 

Social source share

13 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

Best version on Motown Chartbusters Vol 6, with different mix (as this been mentioned previously)

Only on the original run, once Motown discovered their mistake it was changed, I don`t know how many of these were cut but must have been quite a few.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

Only on the original run, once Motown discovered their mistake it was changed, I don`t know how many of these were cut but must have been quite a few.

This one ? 

STML 11191, 1E 062  92847

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Unless you know what to look for, probably in the deadwax I would be pot luck I suppose. I have one but no idea what differentiates it from the popular cut we all know and love. 

It`s fun to watch dancers puzzled faces when they`re trying to sing along with it whilst dancing.

As for Blue Sharks version, it`s hard to admit but it`s a far better version, better production and more polished.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

On 02/04/2017 at 11:08, jim g said:

abc uk?

Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:46, chalky said:

Both original...anyone who thinks otherwise is an arse

its shite any one worth their salt! would realise this!  original vinyl means just that . If your that desperate to play it  to fellow soulies at a paying venue. then on a shite LP not on a white ABC 45 you know that so why argue or defend anything so dire only thing its good for is scooping up Dogshite

Social source share

Hiya, are you saying that bobby Hutton / willie hutch uk issue on abc is shite ? I take it you are joking.  Without uk issue records  this  site, clubs etc would not exist,  if you have any shite records like that, I'll take em.  Cheers

Social source share

1 hour ago, redditchcrew said:

its shite any one worth their salt! would realise this!  original vinyl means just that . If your that desperate to play it  to fellow soulies at a paying venue. then on a shite LP not on a white ABC 45 you know that so why argue or defend anything so dire only thing its good for is scooping up Dogshite

Whats shite? 

And anyway you mean in your opinion it's shite - whatever it is you're referring to.

Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Whats shite? 

And anyway you mean in your opinion it's shite - whatever it is you're referring to.

He`s talking about the Bobby Hutton UK issue above and whether its legit to play out as it`s the original UK issue.

No comment! :shhh: 

Social source share

20 hours ago, redditchcrew said:

Take it you don't care for the track but given the choice, possibly leave the room if played on Album format or not attend venue if played on UK 45 

Recall first hearing Bobby Hutton and seeing it come out of a twelve inch sleeve which at the the time was a little unheard of.

Edited by theothertosspot
Bored
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 07/04/2017 at 08:34, redditchcrew said:

I was probably referring to the Blue Sharks but non the less, Bobby Hutton on ABC is an original UK relesse.  What credibility it has amongst Djs and collectors is a different matter. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Don`t you just love it when someone posts a comment like redditch and then does a runner not wanting or able to elaborate on his rant?

Social source share

When Bobby Hutton came out on ABC in the UK it was regarded as a reissue even though it hadn't been released here before.  Any older recording that came out due to Northern demand was called a reissue.  Now that 40 years has passed, they are rightly called original UK issues because that's what they are - but at the time they were referred to in the same breath as pressings and boots.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Pete S said:

When Bobby Hutton came out on ABC in the UK it was regarded as a reissue even though it hadn't been released here before.  Any older recording that came out due to Northern demand was called a reissue.  Now that 40 years has passed, they are rightly called original UK issues because that's what they are - but at the time they were referred to in the same breath as pressings and boots.

Which as we all know is crazy, but them were the rules back then!

Social source share

4 hours ago, Pete S said:

Even though it is as younsay a UK original I still consider it a reissue as it was done because of the demand on the scene, if I couldn't play the Lp then I wouldn't play it.  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

9 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Don`t you just love it when someone posts a comment like redditch and then does a runner not wanting or able to elaborate on his rant?

Steve lane  I do not run away from anyone or anything I was referring to blue  sharks but as we are here I think that the same applys to bobby hutton you should only play it on album .  not on a pressing that's my take okeh

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!