THE BLUE SHARKS: THE SOUL SCENE'S LONGEST EVER 'COVER-UP'?

Gene-R

1 hour ago, redditchcrew said:

Steve lane  I do not run away from anyone or anything I was referring to blue  sharks but as we are here I think that the same applys to bobby hutton you should only play it on album .  not on a pressing that's my take okeh

Was Blue Sharks "these things ....." also released on ABC!!!!

Social source share

On 07/04/2017 at 08:34, redditchcrew said:

its shite any one worth their salt! would realise this!  original vinyl means just that . If your that desperate to play it  to fellow soulies at a paying venue. then on a shite LP not on a white ABC 45 you know that so why argue or defend anything so dire only thing its good for is scooping up Dogshite

You are referring to Blue Sharks

Social source share

16 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

What labels were Blue Sharks and Mike Morton Congregation versions of "These Things ...." released on?

Just curious

16 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Blue Sharks is Italian Gran Prix. 

And Plexium for the LP.

I asked this before, but is may have gotten missed. What's the going rate for the LP these days. I haven't seen anyone selling them, unless its on Facebook or similar.

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

And Plexium for the LP.

I asked this before, but is may have gotten missed. What's the going rate for the LP these days. I haven't seen anyone selling them, unless its on Facebook or similar.

Cheers
Mick

It was a tenner and less on discogs but all copies now gone, no doubt all soul source readers having read this topic buying them up.

Social source share

19 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

You are referring to Blue Sharks

Apparently although it doesn`t read that way and is quite hard to understand.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

19 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

Was Blue Sharks "these things ....." also released on ABC!!!!

Nope!

Bought my 1st Blue Sharks for £135 and sold it on for nearly 4 figures.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Cheers - Reason is I have a couple of copies, just wondered if anyone had a value, so as I could list 'em.

Just had a look, less than a fiver the highestnprice on discogs but that was before any sellers realised or knew of this topic.

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Cheers - Reason is I have a couple of copies, just wondered if anyone had a value, so as I could list 'em.

I would get them on eBay Mick with a good explanation of what`s on it, I think you`ll get a decent price.

Social source share

On 10/04/2017 at 19:06, redditchcrew said:

Steve lane  I do not run away from anyone or anything I was referring to blue  sharks but as we are here I think that the same applys to bobby hutton you should only play it on album .  not on a pressing that's my take okeh

Totally disagree with this as if you haven't got the album and won't play the single you're depriving people of hearing the record - for what?  Vanity?  

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 4/2/2017 at 19:54, theothertosspot said:

Best version on Motown Chartbusters Vol 6, with different mix (as this been mentioned previously)

Yes, completely different lyrics. I just played mine and it starts off "You walked into my life one day...." and then goes on with different lyrics to the 45. 

Social source share

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:33, Pete S said:

Totally disagree with this as if you haven't got the album and won't play the single you're depriving people of hearing the record - for what?  Vanity?  

As your asked no not vanity  faith its surposed to be just that. black soul singers had a raw deal from society & the record companies  in the 1960s its an act of commercial greed on the part of record companies making a fast buck from british teenagers   we must look at the scene though different eyes that's all you think vanity I think rip off from the man

Social source share

2 minutes ago, redditchcrew said:

As your asked no not vanity  faith its surposed to be just that. black soul singers had a raw deal from society & the record companies  in the 1960s its an act of commercial greed on the part of record companies making a fast buck from british teenagers   we must look at the scene though different eyes that's all you think vanity I think rip off from the man

?

Social source share

• 5 months later...

Pretty laughable and actually quite bizarre that people pay relatively large sums of money for a lesser standard  Britsh recording by session singers of a much better Motown orignal.

I tihnk I've got a copy of Mardi Gras Too Busy Thinking about My Baby on an old K-Tel LP. Offers?  :lol:

Whats that Shakespeare quote about men losing their reason? ... Mike Morton Congregation ffs 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

She's fit. :wicked:

I wonder where she is now. And if she knows  that the very  sight of her in a charity shop would send some  men into  raptures - not becasue of  her sadly - no, it's all down to the Mike Morton Congregation.  :ohmy:

Edited by maslar
Social source share

15 hours ago, maslar said:

Pretty laughable and actually quite bizarre that people pay relatively large sums of money for a lesser standard  Britsh recording by session singers of a much better Motown orignal.

I tihnk I've got a copy of Mardi Gras Too Busy Thinking about My Baby on an old K-Tel LP. Offers?  :lol:

Whats that Shakespeare quote about men losing their reason? ... Mike Morton Congregation ffs 

Because it`s an excellent version of a top Motown record which is quite rare on 45 and has been played out on the scene for decades by some of the most respected DJs!

Lesser standard.........really? :g:It would pass the Pepsi challenge with the original.

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

Because it`s an excellent version of a top Motown record which is quite rare on 45 and has been played out on the scene for decades by some of the most respected DJs!

Lesser standard.........really? :g:It would pass the Pepsi challenge with the original.

It's an ok version imo as I've already stated. It's not recorded/mixed as well as it could have been and the arrangment is a little lacking based as it is on the original. But for what ti was I don't suppose too much time and effort was spent on it. The session men did a good standard job and earned their fee. What's laughable is that it commands the prices it does when it's from a Uk session covers  compilation LP. Would anyone play the TOTPs LP version of Tears Of a Clown? It's exactly the same thing. Probably pretty ok to listen to and a "soul" record no doubt   but so what?  Yes it is a lesser standard in my opinion. As  not   the same standard as the original. YES really. I really do think that. I really do.  PS I've already made the point that without the original I believe it would be classed as ok by those who knock it.  But just to clarify for the sake of confusion - lesser as in not equal or superior.

As for it being played out by "respected djs" - since when has that been a bench mark of quality? I first heard it after it's heyday. On the Destiny LP in 1980. it wasn't being played out anywhere at that time.  It never occured to me then that it wasn't a US soul record. Just not as good as the original. But the reality is it's the Mike Morton congregation. And why anyone would want to play it rather than the original is beyond me but taste is a funny thing. so if anyone else prefers it then that's up to them.   And price is obviously a reflection of demand. I just question why that demand is there.

Edited by maslar
typo
Social source share

48 minutes ago, maslar said:

It's an ok version imo as I've already stated. It's not recorded/mixed as well as it could have been and the arrangment is a little lacking based as it is on the original. But for what ti was I don't suppose too much time and effort was spent on it. The session men did a good standard job and earned their fee. What's laughable is that it commands the prices it does when it's from a Uk session covers  compilation LP. Would anyone play the TOTPs LP version of Tears Of a Clown? It's exactly the same thing. Probably pretty ok to listen to and a "soul" record no doubt   but so what?  Yes it is a lesser standard in my opinion. As  not   the same standard as the original. YES really. I really do think that. I really do.  PS I've already made the point that without the original I believe it would be classed as ok by those who knock it.  But just to clarify for the sake of confusion - lesser as in not equal or superior.

As for it being played out by "respected djs" - since when has that been a bench mark of quality? I first heard it after it's heyday. On the Destiny LP in 1980. it wasn't being played out anywhere at that time.  It never occured to me then that it wasn't a US soul record. Just not as good as the original. But the reality is it's the Mike Morton congregation. And why anyone would want to play it rather than the original is beyond me but taste is a funny thing. so if anyone else prefers it then that's up to them.   And price is obviously a reflection of demand. I just question why that demand is there.

Steve Lane. So rather than just respond to my post/points or even ignore it (wouldn't bother me at all) you decided to give it a "down" vote? That's poor form old chap . Run out of ideas? I've never used the "down" vote. Seems a bit of a waste of time tbh. Oh well :sleep3:

Social source share

10 minutes ago, maslar said:

Steve Lane. So rather than just respond to my post/points or even ignore it (wouldn't bother me at all) you decided to give it a "down" vote? That's poor form old chap . Run out of ideas? I've never used the "down" vote. Seems a bit of a waste of time tbh. Oh well :sleep3:

Basically because with you there`s never any discussion. It`s not a case of running out of ideas. You will argue black is white rather than concede anything so it`s pointless replying.

I bet there are things you could teach to tropical skin diseases.

!

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

Basically because with you there`s never any discussion. It`s not a case of running out of ideas. You will argue black is white rather than concede anything so it`s pointless replying.

I bet there are things you could teach to tropical skin diseases.

!

Do you think any of the  other Mike Morton Tamla covers  are worthy of playing?

Edited by maslar
Social source share

1 hour ago, maslar said:

It was first played by Soul Sam at St'Ives just for the record around that time I would think before the Destiny release I cant remember the date everyone has views some like it some dont if it wasn't like that the scene wouldn't change

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Imagine it was on a obscure label ,  and the group had a member that went on to better things,  the kind of record that is sought after , then their would be a demand.   especially.   , in the bargain bins in Woolworths  🎭😤🎶🎶

Social source share

2 hours ago, maslar said:

Do you think any of the  other Mike Morton Tamla covers  are worthy of playing?

Can`t recall hearing any of his others but there are lots of covers out there which have been played, some pretty good and some not so. This one just works for the scene and always has done.

Social source share

1 hour ago, becker154 said:

It was first played by Soul Sam at St'Ives just for the record around that time I would think before the Destiny release I cant remember the date everyone has views some like it some dont if it wasn't like that the scene wouldn't change

Going from memory The Destiny LP listed  which DJ played each track  first and where. I think it stated 1978.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

Can`t recall hearing any of his others but there are lots of covers out there which have been played, some pretty good and some not so. This one just works for the scene and always has done.

Like I said, it's ok. He covered Heaven Must Have Sent You.  And also Move On Up. Maybe you need to  get on these.   :thumbsup: Chances are they could be of the same standard and hence right up your street.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Soulskate said:

I've always like the Blue Sharks version. The production reminds me of Sandy Wynns, Patrice Holloway, etc.... probably the same reason others like it.

Because it`s a later, more polished version and a better version at that.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!