Something I've noticed

DeltaSouth

I've worked in the music business for decades, as a sound tech, a record store owner, and worked for record companies over the years in the USA.

Many small labels only would press 500 - 600 records for some releases.
Fairly darn rare, on a planet with a world population of 7.4 billion folks.

7.4 billion people divided by 500 or so, doesn't go very far.

I noticed some people don't consider that "rare".

I find them to be mistaken and have no clue about what rarity truly is.
This seems to occur with "collectors" more than I would expect.

Edited by VinylvilleLA
Social source share

On 12/8/2016 at 19:11, VinylvilleLA said:

I've worked in the music business for decades, as a sound tech, a record store owner, and worked for record companies over the years in the USA.

Many small labels only would press 500 - 600 records for some releases.
Fairly darn rare, on a planet with a world population of 7.4 billion folks.

7.4 billion people divided by 500 or so, doesn't go very far.

I noticed some people don't consider that "rare".

I find them to be mistaken and have no clue about what rarity truly is.
This seems to occur with "collectors" more than I would expect.

im guessing a lot of bands up until the present day could chip in and afford to press 600 records but if its a poor tune its means nothing. whats  made you say this?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In my opinion the value of a record is determined by four distinct elements: quality of music, demand, rarity and condition. Plenty of records are rare, but nobody wants them (I'm forever stumbling across private press Scottish country dancing albums - rare, yes. In demand, no. Hence value: minimal). There's plenty of very expensive singles which aren't rare at all, but hundreds of collectors want them, obviously in the best condition possible.

I agree, though. A fragile artefact manufactured in a run of 500 over 50 years ago is, by definition, rare. At least half will be in landfill. But if the quality isn't there, there's little demand...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 11/12/2016 at 20:30, cover-up said:

In my opinion the value of a record is determined by four distinct elements: quality of music, demand, rarity and condition. Plenty of records are rare, but nobody wants them (I'm forever stumbling across private press Scottish country dancing albums - rare, yes. In demand, no. Hence value: minimal). There's plenty of very expensive singles which aren't rare at all, but hundreds of collectors want them, obviously in the best condition possible.

I agree, though. A fragile artefact manufactured in a run of 500 over 50 years ago is, by definition, rare. At least half will be in landfill. But if the quality isn't there, there's little demand...

Very true but I would add a fifth factor, availability. Even rare records become impossible to acquire if they are locked up in collections. Some rare records continue to come to market as owners 'sell-on' to fund bigger wants. A small press-run with labels off-centre or reversed could have been pulped leaving only tiny numbers in circulation. A check on Popsike confirms that some records exist in single digits only, others in dozens and a few in the hundreds such as Jack Mongomery, Ruby Andrews, Dee Clarke etc. There's different degrees of rarity but past demand can hugely limit curent market availability.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!