Jaco

Prostate cancer

I wasn't sure I could do this but here goes.

I have prostate cancer having been diagnosed just over a year ago.

I thought I wasn't the type to bang the drum about it but the experience of another member of SS this week focused my mind a touch more.

It is the most common of cancers in the UK for men and 1 in 8 men will have prostate cancer in their lives. 47,000 new cases are diagnosed every year in the UK.

The point about this post is to put some awareness in people's minds about what options are available to see if the condition exists within you.

There are a lot of 50-60+ men on here who might be experiencing what I initially did, which was to start to go to the toilet more, particularly during the night.

Some may have dismissed that as being a sign of old age creeping up on us and prior to diagnosis, two pals of mine, whilst discussing this, said "welcome to the club"as if this was the norm at 61. As it happens it wasn't and following a BUPA health check I was diagnosed as having T3, M1 and N1 cancer which in simple terms means that cancer has spread from my prostate and in my case, to my pelvis and spine. It is incurable.

Had I had a blood test at an earlier stage which may have identified that I had prostate cancer which had not spread, I may have been faced with the prospect of it being almost 100% curable.

The blood test known has a PSA test is free and can be undertaken by a GP. There are some concerns about the accuracy of the PSA test and the harmful consequences that follow which is why there is no national screening programme. Between the ages of 50 and 69 the PSA number, which measures the prostate specific antigen in your blood, should be between 0 and 3. Mine was 348 so there was no doubt from the initial test that there was a problem.

The pros of the test, in my opinion, outweigh the cons and my advise to anybody of a certain age with perhaps one or two symptoms associated with urination, is to go and get it checked out with your GP. Peace of mind can be a wonderful thing but if there is a problem, better to know as early as possible so that the appropriate action can be taken.

1 hour ago, kev cane said:

Very brave and considerate of you Mike to post this on here, your advice was invaluable to me and I second what you have so bravely done in highlighting this to your fellow members

Best Regards

Kev

seconded

thanks for posting mike

Sorry to hear your bad news Jaco.  As said a very brave post and one worth posting.  I was/have been going a bit too often and had the PSA which thankfully was 0.8.  I think it is a combination of age and too much tea.  But like you say not something that should be ignored.  Seen a few mates suffer with this.

Edited by chalky

Can I just add that the symptoms may be really minor. I was kept waiting at the GPs so I read every poster 10 times. 

The one listing the symptoms of PC was interesting and I thought I may have had slight signs but no pains, no discomfort, nothing that interfered with life. In fact I almost didn't bother the doc but mentioned it in passing at the end of the appt. 

The bottom line. I had it and it had metastasized.

The point is guys. Just coz it doesn't hurt you have to question changes in your body. 

very brave post Jaco. Just had to do a bowel cancer screen thing - didn't fancy it but actually it is nothing in the bigger picture. I guess like a lot of blokes on here we think we are invincible because (unlike some mates) we survived all the reckless things we did when younger. I will take your advice and get checked - i guess i owe it to my loved ones......

I suffered in silence with Crohn's Disease for too long when I was in the navy.  Looking back, I put my reluctance to seing the doc down to a number of things, such as finding out what was actually wrong with me and the possibility of being kicked out the service to name a couple.  When I finally got diagnosed it was a huge weight off my mind, and the treatment I then received put me on the mend and stopped things getting any worse.  I'd never heard of Crohn's before I was actually diagnosed with it, but wish I'd gone to the doc sooner.  I suppose being in a "work hard, play hard" environment didn't help, but it's better to be fit and healthy than stoical.

Jaco. Like everyone on here I,m so sorry to hear your news .  On Monday its 13 years since I lost my dad to prostrate cancer, like you he went to the doctors late.

But if one life is saved by early screening and detection because of your brave post on here then some good may come from your post. . Thank you and the best of luck for the future.

Steve

Sorry to hear your news Jaco , hopefully seeing your post will make others experiencing any symptoms go to the doctors. I stupidly put off going to the Docs for quite some time, now have an appointment at the hospital in January . As Steve said hopefully some good will come from your post , I echo his thanks for posting and good luck for the future.

Very sorry to hear of your news & very brave to share this post trying to help others. This came as a reality check for me, as I received a Christmas card today from a friends wife with the news that a friend I had grown up with until my early 20's until I moved away to a different part of the country, had died from cancer in January after a 2 year battle.

I had got back in touch with him when visiting my mum, dropping compilation CD's off I made for him from time to time and then only contacted him a couple of times by phone. I knew he had some problems, but never knew how severe, he never said and I didn't want to pry. The Friday night before I got the card today (Saturday) I had woken up at around 4.00 am thinking I should really get in touch again, sadly its now far too late. I will definitely be making a doctors appointment as soon as possible next week.

Thank You so much for sharing this with us, hopefully this post will be the wake up call to ensure that more of us get it checked out.

Very Best Wishes

Simon  

Jaco 

A friend of mine told me last week he's got prostrate cancer & how you have explained it my friend has said the same things to me 

He is positive & starting treatment in the new year 

I went through Chemo & Radio 3yrs started on 17 Dec  for oral cancer 

Good luck in your treatment & stay POSITIVE it works believe me i'm still here 

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Thanks for all the kind words and comments - they are much appreciated.

As Steve (Winsford Soul) says if one person takes a decision to check out their own health situation based on my post then it will be worthwhile.

And as Kev John states being positive is essential for me and all others suffering from serious illnesses.

I'm an optimistic person by nature - a half glass full type of guy, so I've met this challenge head on.

My current fitness and diet regime has made me fitter than I've been for years and as of Tuesday my PSA level is 0.268 compared to 348 a year ago. As long as it stays low for as long as possible I'm fine. The future will take care of itself.

Karl, there are a number of foods that are considered to assist with fighting prostate cancer, though as my consultant says, there is no magic bullet. 

Tomatoes, broccoli, turmeric, green tea, pomegranate, peppers, spinach, sweet potato, ginger all contain various nutrients that can assist. I have a lot of chicken, rice and non-farmed fish

i eat all of the above and eat only organic food where possible. I avoid processed food and dairy products. I juice carrots in the morning and greens at night. I drink green tea, pomegranate juice, coconut water and soy milk. I snack on walnuts, Brazil nuts, almonds. I have avacados, beetroot and tuna most days at work and eat organic muesli for breakfast. It's a commitment but I enjoy most of this food anyway.

Having said that I still drink beer and wine and do indulge every now and then.

Exercise is also a big thing for me - I go to the gym twice a day. The morning for weights and the evening for cardio. I am encouraged to do both because I have a couple of other conditions associated with the cancer.

Apologies for rambling on - I believe everybody has to take whatever action they can to fight against this and other illnesses. I'm sure that if I can do it, so can others.

Eup Jaco n chaps :thumbup: heard a lot of good things about baobab powder bringing down the psa count, the powder comes from the baobab tree south America I think??? also heard that it fights type 2 diabetes, taking it myself now,one spoon in a yoghurt or fruit juice daily :D so Google it and have a read up chaps :thumbup: all the best jaco :hatsoff2: your so brave to put this up xxxxxxxx baz n shell xxxxxxxx 

Edited by baz1

5 hours ago, Jaco said:

Karl, there are a number of foods that are considered to assist with fighting prostate cancer, though as my consultant says, there is no magic bullet. 

Tomatoes, broccoli, turmeric, green tea, pomegranate, peppers, spinach, sweet potato, ginger all contain various nutrients that can assist. I have a lot of chicken, rice and non-farmed fish

i eat all of the above and eat only organic food where possible. I avoid processed food and dairy products. I juice carrots in the morning and greens at night. I drink green tea, pomegranate juice, coconut water and soy milk. I snack on walnuts, Brazil nuts, almonds. I have avacados, beetroot and tuna most days at work and eat organic muesli for breakfast. It's a commitment but I enjoy most of this food anyway.

Having said that I still drink beer and wine and do indulge every now and then.

Exercise is also a big thing for me - I go to the gym twice a day. The morning for weights and the evening for cardio. I am encouraged to do both because I have a couple of other conditions associated with the cancer.

Apologies for rambling on - I believe everybody has to take whatever action they can to fight against this and other illnesses. I'm sure that if I can do it, so can others.

Good on ya Jaco, sounds like a very good/healthy diet. Thank you for starting this thread too, very brave of you, well done !

Cheers Paul

A subject close to met heart - my dads got prostate cancer which means I have an increased chance of getting it.

He's never had any symptoms and only went to the doctors to get a check up when his brother was diagnosed as it runs in families. Fortunately its under control and hadn't spread anywhere else before he started getting treatment, so everything's ok after about 4 years or so - they told him at his last psa check that if his number keeps increasing at the present rate he might have a problem in 20 years (he's 82)

Unfortunately my uncles cancer had already spread before he was diagnosed and he died 2 years ago so get yourself checked out!

All the best to Jaco and anyone else affected.. :thumbsup:

Jaco

Like every one else on here I am sorry to here of your situation, I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer some 13 years ago, luckily for me it was found at an early stage after some routine surgery. I underwent a lot of radio therapy & was eventually told I was O.K. Still have regular P.S.A. tests at my G.P's justto be sure. I wish you all the very best my friend & don't forget if you wish to talk we on Soul-Source are ALWAYS here

Regards Alan C.

Jaco my thoughts are with you, you are so so brave to come on here and announce that and encourage others to get themselves checked out, stay strong and try to carry on with your day to day life as normal.

I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx and had 7 weeks chemo & radio therapy, I am going to play this now for you and have a little cry to myself

God Bless You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsi6vImWAD4

24 minutes ago, Brummie said:

Jaco my thoughts are with you, you are so so brave to come on here and announce that and encourage others to get themselves checked out, stay strong and try to carry on with your day to day life as normal.

I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx and had 7 weeks chemo & radio therapy, I am going to play this now for you and have a little cry to myself

God Bless You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsi6vImWAD4

Brummie,

Thank you for your very humbling words and the youtube clip which has such relevant lyrics.

Your own condition sounds brutal and I wish you well for the future.

Fully commiserate with OP and my thoughts are with you, as many people on the soul scene will be aware, Charity Soul raises funds for Prostate cancer research undertaken by the world leader in this field Professor Norman Maitland  and for details of what this entails click on this link

https://www.york.ac.uk/biology/units/cru/whatmenshouldknow.html

while this will not be of much help to Jaco, think EVERY male should be aware of this condition. I don't for one minute think that Professor Mailand has the answer as yet, but after visiting his laboratory in York many times there are some very encouraging development trials taking place which aims to shrink the tumor (s) rather than have surgery which can have drastic effects and in some cases does not prevent the cancer re-occuring. 

The scientists at the unit are working in the area of cancer stem cells. This is a relatively new and exciting area of research. There are labs all over the world working on different cancer stem cells in different cancer types. Knowledge obtained in one cancer can be useful in another cancer types. Cancer stem cells are considered as the root of the cancer and are not susceptible to current chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

During the last ten years Prof Maitland’s team has isolated and characterized these cells and now the aim of the research is focused on what makes these cells different, how to sensitise them to current treatments as well as developing new treatments.

In an independent review a couple of years ago, the Cancer Research Unit was recognised internationally as the best research group in its field, after the Prof Maitland and colleagues found “the root” of prostate cancer and revolutionised research methodology.

Prof Maitland says ‘existing therapies for treating prostate cancer attack the ‘leaves’ rather than the ‘root,’ making it likely for many men that the disease will recur after primary treatment such as radiotherapy.

Prof Maitland’s team at the Cancer Research Unit have discovered how to isolate the tumour stem cells, which make up one in 1,000 of cancer cells. These stem cells can be likened to the root of prostate cancer.

More and more is being written in the news media about ‘Gene Editing’ using a brand new science called CRISPR. They have been carrying out these experiments with Charity Soul support for a couple of years now – they are working at the ‘cutting edge’ of cancer science.

Somehow cutting edge is very appropriate for CRISPR, as they delve into the 20,000 genes to cut apart just one. Remember what the team is seeking to do: to find the essential genes in cancer stem cells, getting rid of all of the noise caused by treatments for example.

We can put a man on the moon, find the origin of the species via the large Hadron Collider, contemplate spending £60 Billion for HS 2 to get to London 20 minutes quicker, yet cannot find a cure for a disease that kills 1 in 8 of the worlds male population.

The cynic in me thinks "do we want to find a cure" when the worlds large pharmaceutical companies are making millions from cancer drugs that do not attack the core issue

We here at Charity Soul are proud and humbled to be working and providing funding for this great Guy and his team

Edited by the Happy Hooker

I was diagnosed at 48 with Prostate Cancer so don't think it only affects older men. Get yourself checked out if you're 50+ and have family history (my Dad died of prostate cancer at 64), have any symptoms (I didn't) or are anxious. There is an argument against general screening in that some folk don't want to know or would prefer not to put their loved ones through the worry. The PSA test is not conclusive and can show a raised level due to other benign factors.

I'm with Jaco. Continue to live life and don't let it stop you doing stuff. My disease has also spread and having gone through radiotherapy, various hormone therapies, chemo, abi and now R223 I carry on enjoying life. It's a rare privilege to know that time is limited allowing you to get things sorted.

Keep on keeping on

3 hours ago, the Happy Hooker said:

Fully commiserate with OP and my thoughts are with you, as many people on the soul scene will be aware, Charity Soul raises funds for Prostate cancer research undertaken by the world leader in this field Professor Norman Maitland  and for details of what this entails click on this link

https://www.york.ac.uk/biology/units/cru/whatmenshouldknow.html

while this will not be of much help to Jaco, think EVERY male should be aware of this condition. I don't for one minute think that Professor Mailand has the answer as yet, but after visiting his laboratory in York many times there are some very encouraging development trials taking place which aims to shrink the tumor (s) rather than have surgery which can have drastic effects and in some cases does not prevent the cancer re-occuring. 

The scientists at the unit are working in the area of cancer stem cells. This is a relatively new and exciting area of research. There are labs all over the world working on different cancer stem cells in different cancer types. Knowledge obtained in one cancer can be useful in another cancer types. Cancer stem cells are considered as the root of the cancer and are not susceptible to current chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

During the last ten years Prof Maitland’s team has isolated and characterized these cells and now the aim of the research is focused on what makes these cells different, how to sensitise them to current treatments as well as developing new treatments.

In an independent review a couple of years ago, the Cancer Research Unit was recognised internationally as the best research group in its field, after the Prof Maitland and colleagues found “the root” of prostate cancer and revolutionised research methodology.

Prof Maitland says ‘existing therapies for treating prostate cancer attack the ‘leaves’ rather than the ‘root,’ making it likely for many men that the disease will recur after primary treatment such as radiotherapy.

Prof Maitland’s team at the Cancer Research Unit have discovered how to isolate the tumour stem cells, which make up one in 1,000 of cancer cells. These stem cells can be likened to the root of prostate cancer.

More and more is being written in the news media about ‘Gene Editing’ using a brand new science called CRISPR. They have been carrying out these experiments with Charity Soul support for a couple of years now – they are working at the ‘cutting edge’ of cancer science.

Somehow cutting edge is very appropriate for CRISPR, as they delve into the 20,000 genes to cut apart just one. Remember what the team is seeking to do: to find the essential genes in cancer stem cells, getting rid of all of the noise caused by treatments for example.

We can put a man on the moon, find the origin of the species via the large Hadron Collider, contemplate spending £60 Billion for HS 2 to get to London 20 minutes quicker, yet cannot find a cure for a disease that kills 1 in 8 of the worlds male population.

The cynic in me thinks "do we want to find a cure" when the worlds large pharmaceutical companies are making millions from cancer drugs that do not attack the core issue

We here at Charity Soul are proud and humbled to be working and providing funding for this great Guy and his team

Great informative post and much gratitude is extended to Charity Soul for supporting such a worthy cause.

I am aware of the work of Professor Maitland and the stem cell research. It will only surely be a matter of time before that significant breakthrough is achieved.

24 minutes ago, soulsurfa said:

I was diagnosed at 48 with Prostate Cancer so don't think it only affects older men. Get yourself checked out if you're 50+ and have family history (my Dad died of prostate cancer at 64), have any symptoms (I didn't) or are anxious. There is an argument against general screening in that some folk don't want to know or would prefer not to put their loved ones through the worry. The PSA test is not conclusive and can show a raised level due to other benign factors.

I'm with Jaco. Continue to live life and don't let it stop you doing stuff. My disease has also spread and having gone through radiotherapy, various hormone therapies, chemo, abi and now R223 I carry on enjoying life. It's a rare privilege to know that time is limited allowing you to get things sorted.

Keep on keeping on

Fully endorse what you say about living life whilst tackling the disease. My own personal focus has shifted so much that I actually think I enjoy life more now than I did before I was diagnosed.

Seems that you've had a bad trip so far and my thoughts are with you.

Our thoughts go out to everyone with PC or any cancer for that matter , that's why we at charity soul will continue doing wot we do , and if anybody has any doubts about our fund raising and events , in October we managed to get to the grand sum of just over £40k actually donated to the laboratory at York uni in 40 months since we started , something we are all very proud of , and long May that continue !!

Hi Jaco, hope you are continuing the fight,  just to update you, Jeremy Vine radio show did a piece about Turmeric & how it is being looked at to reduce cancer, one lady rang in to say it had cured her of terminal breast cancer, she had adopted an Indian traditional mind & body health system Ayurveda, the programme is still available from 4th of January fast forward to 36.40 which is where the article begins. Don't know whether anyone has already mentioned it to you, but its worth listening to. They do not say it is a cure all, but it has had beneficial effects in some cases. I got checked out after reading your warning & also recently had a bowel cancer check, all OK at the moment thankfully.  

All the Very Best for the future 

Please also note two programmes on BBC radio 4 on 4th and 11th January.  Inside health: Prostate cancer presented by Dr Mark Porter.

You can catch them both on BBC I player. I hope someone can provide a link....I can't!.

17 hours ago, PhilReeves said:

Please also note two programmes on BBC radio 4 on 4th and 11th January.  Inside health: Prostate cancer presented by Dr Mark Porter.

You can catch them both on BBC I player. I hope someone can provide a link....I can't!.

I'll check them out. Thanks for that.

18 hours ago, 6T's Mojoman said:

Hi Jaco, hope you are continuing the fight,  just to update you, Jeremy Vine radio show did a piece about Turmeric & how it is being looked at to reduce cancer, one lady rang in to say it had cured her of terminal breast cancer, she had adopted an Indian traditional mind & body health system Ayurveda, the programme is still available from 4th of January fast forward to 36.40 which is where the article begins. Don't know whether anyone has already mentioned it to you, but its worth listening to. They do not say it is a cure all, but it has had beneficial effects in some cases. I got checked out after reading your warning & also recently had a bowel cancer check, all OK at the moment thankfully.  

All the Very Best for the future 

Thanks for your kind words.

I take a supplement Pomi-T which contains Turmeric and another supplement Turmeric Circumin having read of the health benefits.

I will also check out the programme. I have an open mind about complimentary treatments etc.

On 10/12/2016 at 13:40, Jaco said:

I wasn't sure I could do this but here goes.

I have prostate cancer having been diagnosed just over a year ago.

I thought I wasn't the type to bang the drum about it but the experience of another member of SS this week focused my mind a touch more.

It is the most common of cancers in the UK for men and 1 in 8 men will have prostate cancer in their lives. 47,000 new cases are diagnosed every year in the UK.

The point about this post is to put some awareness in people's minds about what options are available to see if the condition exists within you.

There are a lot of 50-60+ men on here who might be experiencing what I initially did, which was to start to go to the toilet more, particularly during the night.

Some may have dismissed that as being a sign of old age creeping up on us and prior to diagnosis, two pals of mine, whilst discussing this, said "welcome to the club"as if this was the norm at 61. As it happens it wasn't and following a BUPA health check I was diagnosed as having T3, M1 and N1 cancer which in simple terms means that cancer has spread from my prostate and in my case, to my pelvis and spine. It is incurable.

Had I had a blood test at an earlier stage which may have identified that I had prostate cancer which had not spread, I may have been faced with the prospect of it being almost 100% curable.

The blood test known has a PSA test is free and can be undertaken by a GP. There are some concerns about the accuracy of the PSA test and the harmful consequences that follow which is why there is no national screening programme. Between the ages of 50 and 69 the PSA number, which measures the prostate specific antigen in your blood, should be between 0 and 3. Mine was 348 so there was no doubt from the initial test that there was a problem.

The pros of the test, in my opinion, outweigh the cons and my advise to anybody of a certain age with perhaps one or two symptoms associated with urination, is to go and get it checked out with your GP. Peace of mind can be a wonderful thing but if there is a problem, better to know as early as possible so that the appropriate action can be taken.

Thank you Jaco. I was concerned as my father passed with  PC  he had left it late didnt want to go to the doctors to late .Keep on Keeping on !!!!!!

No way of knowing if this is of continuous interest but on the basis that I got some great comments and support, I though I might pass on current developments.

I am in between check ups and all is well.  Unexpectedly I took a  phone call from my consultant who wanted to tell me about forthcoming data which would indicate a better outcome for me and others with my condition.

What I thought would be a telephone conversation then became a meeting at Christie hospital where I was told of clinical trial data that will be released at a convention in Chicago in the early part of June. The data was the subject of an embargo until then but strong whispers, in my consultants words, indicated that use of an existing drug would "significantly" delay the rise in PSA for metastatic prostate cancer sufferers. He actually used the expression - "this is a game changer"

The bottom line is that following approval from BUPA, my medical health provider, I will be given the drug from 24 May. The drug is used currently when PSA levels have already risen but the trials show significant benefit by using the drug now and therefore before PSA levels rise. For metastatic prostate cancer suffers receiving hormone therapy, which I do, there is an inevitable outcome known as hormone refractory where treatment ceases to be effective. This drug will slow that process down and therefore the outcome is much more positive.

I think it would be unwise of me to say exactly what the drug is at this stage but it can be easily googled. It is unlicensed for the proposed use but will be in the fullness of time. It's use maybe restricted for NHS treatment because of cost issues which unfortunately is an aspect of medicine protocol that is, at times, unacceptable

49 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Good luck with the new treatment. Hopefully this will go well for you .   if I maybe as bold to say on your thread that I just wish it would have been available for my Dad. 

Steve

Steve, I hope it becomes of universal benefit to all if it lives up to what my consultant believes. With all advances in medicine there will be some for whom the latest developments come too late. And that is the real tragedy for those affected. My sympathy is with you.

As Steve says good luck with the new treatment. I go on Monday for a follow up appointment from January where I was lucky enough to find everything was ok. I'm sure the thread will still be of interest and may encourage others to get checked out if they missed the thread first time around.

Good luck with your new treatment, and with fighting off the disease.

Baobab trees are mainly native to Africa and Madagascar, and one species lives in Australia.  None in South America.

1 hour ago, 6T's Mojoman said:

At last some good  news for you, this is a very positive encouraging step forward that you will benefit greatly from, Good Luck with the treatment & keep on fighting.

Thank you for your comments and support. Hopefully this will be ground breaking in the fight against such a brutal disease.

For those interested in this, the results of the Stampede trial were released today in Chicago. The benefits of using the drug abiraterone early as part of treatment of prostrate cancer have been described as 'a once in a career feeling' by a cancer specialist. It potentially shows one of the biggest reductions in death in a clinical trial for adult cancers.

I have had abiraterone for a week now and hopefully these trial results will benefit all prostrate cancer sufferers in the future.

Some additional benefits for me too. The drug is taken in conjunction with presnidolone. A steroid which keeps me awake at night.

Bring on the niters!

8 hours ago, Jaco said:

For those interested in this, the results of the Stampede trial were released today in Chicago. The benefits of using the drug abiraterone early as part of treatment of prostrate cancer have been described as 'a once in a career feeling' by a cancer specialist. It potentially shows one of the biggest reductions in death in a clinical trial for adult cancers.

I have had abiraterone for a week now and hopefully these trial results will benefit all prostrate cancer sufferers in the future.

Some additional benefits for me too. The drug is taken in conjunction with presnidolone. A steroid which keeps me awake at night.

Bring on the niters!

All the very best Jaco, really hope you smash it- keep on keeping on being positive mate

55 minutes ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

All the very best Jaco, really hope you smash it- keep on keeping on being positive mate

Cheers pal.

12 hours ago, Jaco said:

Bring on the niters!

I've had a few courses of Prednisolone in the past and it certainly gives you a boost.  Unfortunately the GP prescribing it didn't properly explain about slowly reducing the dosage as you come off them, and it really messed me up for a week or so.  Just make sure you follow the instructions.  Good luck with the treatment.

Steve, I took Prednisolone as part of chemo and it messed with my sleeping then. I'm prescribed it for the next two years minimum and have to carry a card warning that I shouldn't be taken off the drug quickly. 

Plenty of late night activities for me to look forward to.

42 minutes ago, Jaco said:

Steve, I took Prednisolone as part of chemo and it messed with my sleeping then. I'm prescribed it for the next two years minimum and have to carry a card warning that I shouldn't be taken off the drug quickly. 

Plenty of late night activities for me to look forward to.

As I remember, it gave me a bit of an appetite, and I put a bit of weight on as a result.  When I came off it too quickly it was like my joints had seized up and somebody had been pummeling my kidneys.  It was absolute agony, so after that I've made sure I've reduced the dosage gradually over a couple of months, ending on a tablet a day for the last couple of weeks of the course.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.