Another bootlegging chancer

Illusive

Whilst ever there are mugs (or very naive buyers)  out there prepared to pay for bootlegs, the twats that sell them openly are gonna prosper.

This guy states  that his discs are "Reissues"  and supports his claim for some degree of legitimacy by stating: 

"Note to EBAY this is a legal Used Reissue Copy that relevant Copyright duty has been paid at its original purchase".

You couldn't make this shit up and his patter seems to be working with some of the bids being placed.

Edited by illusive
Typo
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• my guess judging by this guys location is that he has had a change of name on ebay. the same titles of these legitimate second issue's :g: appeared regularly by someone with a different name but from the same area. while people continue to buy them,they will continue to be sold no matter how many name changes
Edited by soap
Social source share

Just had a response from him, feckin comedian too

Please supply your name and address so that we can...

eBay7?euid=af65b0bcccf74da59e34d0a469259e9f&

New message from: dreamweaver66 (224Turquoise Star)

Please supply your name and address so that we can formally and legally respond
Thank you
PS a "bootleg" technically is a unauthorised live recording and our listings are not live recordings.

YOU:

Your descriptions on each disc that you have for sale make for interesting reading. 
Complete fantasy of course and totally without merit or legal justification. 
They're bootlegs which violate copyright legislation and your daft statement to eBay about them being legitimate second issues for which copyright duty has been paid is nonsense, but I've no need to tell you that as you already know it. If you wanna Sell bootlegs then at least do it without the pretence to legitimacy and making such bloody ludicrous statements. 
Please feel free to post my comment on your sales.
Thanks and Merry Xmas

Northern Soul .. Tobi Legend ..Time will Pass you By c/w Heartbreaker .. Mala DJ

Northern Soul .. Tobi Legend ..Tim  
Current bid: £91.66
Auction ends 15 Dec, 2016 13:53 GMT
Bids: 18
Postage: £2.50
Place bid

Only purchases on eBay are covered by the eBay purchase protection programmes. Asking your trading partner to complete a transaction outside of eBay is not allowed.

Email reference ID: [#a01-byqfefntam#]_[#af65b0bcccf74da59e34d0a469259e9f#]

We don't check this mailbox, so please don't reply to this message. If you have a question, go to Help & Contact.

eBay sent this message to Gavin Thompson (illusiveoldsoul). Learn more about account protection. eBay is committed to your privacy. Learn more about our privacy policy and user agreement.

This email was sent by eBay Europe S.à r.l., which may use affiliates to provide eBay services. If you are a non-EU resident, please refer to the user agreement for the contact data of your contracting party. 

©2016 eBay Inc., eBay Europe S.à r.l. 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg

Social source share

Yep the days of getting much at all cheap on ebay have long gone. That with postage fees being what the are.   Stuff does come up cheap if it's lesser known, but you do have to keep a very close watch, generally not worth the effort....   

as for the bootleggers, well done mate applaude your effort but it won't make any difference...:-((

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

The sad thing is that while there is still a market these guy will continue to sell no matter what anyone says.... These must be getting sold to "wannabee' cost cutter DJ's as I can't understand why anyone else would want them in their collection when you could just listen to the track on a CD.... I would love an original copy of the Yum Yums etc, but until the day I win the lottery or have the money to buy expensive items like this I will go without... I have been tempted at times as I love the whole experience of playing the vinyl (I'm from the CD generation...), however I like the fact my collection is 100% original and want to keep it that way..... 

Social source share

Guest James Hill

Think d j with Boots has no credibility which in turn has to reflect on the venue and promoter

I know of many of these so called soul clubs turning up which I DJ at you hear tunes yo had in mind but when you look it a Boot fecks me right off  but the worst is when there is yep a CD deck there too

Social source share

records like these have been in circulation for forty plus years, why is it any different now.:shhh:

i've got loads i bought when i was still do'n my paper round, and i know i'm not the only one.:D

will i be sent to hell if i ever to decide to sell 'em, or worst still my kids might get wrongly accused because "were always right, and your lieing":ohmy:

it really gets me when folk moan about the artist getting the royalties but only buy old records from dealers, (who i might add probably make more than the artist made in some cases.:shhh: )

i don't know this guy, who's only crime might may well be naivety,  but the fact that he states their copies/reissues should be enough for buyers to make a decision, lets be right its their money.

i'm sure i'll upset enough folk  for today, not that it meant by the way :wink:. but some things aren't as black and white as we'd like to think they are.:g:

rant over

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, modernsoulsucks said:

Just to be precise these appear to be old boots with stuck-on copies of original labels ?

Ad refers to second hand reissues.

He's not pressing up the actual vinyl.

Hi Rod,

They all have the same description of the vinyl which is "Near Mint". None of them seem to have been "well loved" by previous owners.

Incidentally, can someone mention to the seller that you spell it "Excellent". 

Personally, I'm past caring about it now. I wouldn't buy "pretend/repo" furniture and I wouldn't buy "pretend/repo" records. I did get wound up at one time, particularly when one such seller listed a record with a copied label of one I had bought about 6-12 months earlier. It had the same WOL !!

(Edit - I've just checked and it's the same seller who sold the record with a copy label of one of my records. He's changed names)

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

56 minutes ago, modernsoulsucks said:

Just to be precise these appear to be old boots with stuck-on copies of original labels ?

Ad refers to second hand reissues.

He's not pressing up the actual vinyl.

I''m not sure it's 2nd. I only looked up one item, Jesse Johnson on Old Town. This was never pressed/reissued before, was it?

Social source share

12 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

Hi Rod,

They all have the same description of the vinyl which is "Near Mint". None of them seem to have been "well loved" by previous owners.

Incidentally, can someone mention to the seller that you spell it "Excellent". 

Personally, I'm past caring about it now. I wouldn't buy "pretend/repo" furniture and I wouldn't buy "pretend/repo" records. I did get wound up at one time, particularly when one such seller listed a record with a copied label of one I had bought about 6-12 months earlier. It had the same WOL !!

Having been forced to watch every episode of Columbo and some more than once, I did notice the M- grading.

Not near mint - Columbo would consider that sloppy evidence gathering and ruin his chances of convicting Patrick McGoohan. Of course why he didn't recognise McGoohan immediately as the murderer after his first appearance on the show just shows Columbo wasn't as smart as he's made out to be.

Back on track, I assumed he just bought old boots in nice condition. At least he has some standards.

Benji, I don't really keep up with boots but yes I wondered that too in relation to Kiki Dee. No doubt someone on here will know. It may be he's pressing up vinyl to use for his copied labels.

Social source share

28 minutes ago, ajb said:

records like these have been in circulation for forty plus years, why is it any different now.:shhh:

i've got loads i bought when i was still do'n my paper round, and i know i'm not the only one.:D

will i be sent to hell if i ever to decide to sell 'em, or worst still my kids might get wrongly accused because "were always right, and your lieing":ohmy:

it really gets me when folk moan about the artist getting the royalties but only buy old records from dealers, (who i might add probably make more than the artist made in some cases.:shhh: )

i don't know this guy, who's only crime might may well be naivety,  but the fact that he states their copies/reissues should be enough for buyers to make a decision, lets be right its their money.

i'm sure i'll upset enough folk  for today, not that it meant by the way :wink:. but some things aren't as black and white as we'd like to think they are.:g:

rant over

Pressings / bootlegs etc  are part of all of our history and we all did the same thing with our pocket money / wages in the 70's when the only way for most of us to get the big tunes of that period was on a pressing or uk reissue. We knew what we were buying and didn't care, because for the majority of the time we weren't being conned.

Sell away and make a tidy profit but at least do it in a way that doesn't offer the pretence of legitimacy. That's not the gripe here. this is an act of deception and he's making fraudulent claims.

Hell ? We're living in it already, but let's not bring religion or politics into this :wicked: other than to say hopefully Thatchers still burning brightly.

Thankfully nobody has brought the royalty issue into play, and it's unconnected here.

The seller is anything but naive. He knows exactly what he's doing and if the information I've been given is accurate then the seller is a man who's been involved in the scene for over 40 years as a DJ and promoter of some very big events !!!!

Before anybody asks me to name him I won't.  Unless I can ratify the facts. 

And you're bang on with your summing up. Things are never quite what they seem, they could be much worse. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, modernsoulsucks said:

Having been forced to watch every episode of Columbo and some more than once, I did notice the M- grading.

Not near mint - Columbo would consider that sloppy evidence gathering and ruin his chances of convicting Patrick McGoohan. Of course why he didn't recognise McGoohan immediately as the murderer after his first appearance on the show just shows Columbo wasn't as smart as he's made out to be.

Back on track, I assumed he just bought old boots in nice condition. At least he has some standards.

Benji, I don't really keep up with boots but yes I wondered that too in relation to Kiki Dee. No doubt someone on here will know. It may be he's pressing up vinyl to use for his copied labels.

I love Columbo and particularly the Patrick McGoohan ones. I was less keen when he returned to the scene many years later and had become a caricature of the original. Hmmm, that sounds familiar.:g: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, soap said:
  • my guess judging by this guys location is that he has had a change of name on ebay. the same titles of these legitimate second issue's :g: appeared regularly by someone with a different name but from the same area. while people continue to buy them,they will continue to be sold no matter how many name changes

This help

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 4.04.56 PM.png

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, illusive said:

Thank you
PS a "bootleg" technically is a unauthorised live recording and our listings are not live recordings.

YOU:

Your descriptions on each disc that you have for sale make for interesting reading. 
They're bootlegs which violate copyright legislation and your daft statement to eBay about them being legitimate second issues for which copyright duty has been paid is nonsense, but I've no need to tell you that as you already know it. If you wanna Sell bootlegs then at least do it without the pretence to legitimacy and making such bloody ludicrous statements. 
Thanks and Merry Xmas

Northern Soul .. Tobi Legend ..Time will Pass you By c/w Heartbreaker .. Mala DJ

Place bid

Only purchases on eBay are covered by the eBay purchase protection programmes. Asking your trading partner to complete a transaction outside of eBay is not allowed.

We don't check this mailbox, so please don't reply to this message. If you have a question, go to Help & Contact.

eBay sent this message to Gavin Thompson (illusiveoldsoul). Learn more about account protection. eBay is committed to your privacy. Learn more about our privacy policy and user agreement.

This email was sent by eBay Europe S.à r.l., which may use affiliates to provide eBay services. If you are a non-EU resident, please refer to the user agreement for the contact data of your contracting party. 

bootlegverb [ I or T ] uk /ˈbuːt.leɡ/ us /ˈbuːt.leɡ/ -gg-

to illegally make, copy, or sell something

Thesaurus: synonyms and related words

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"Sen Alan" about says it all doesn't it?

Not much of an anagram and confirms what I've been told by two different people today already. So the rabbits out of the hat. 

Sad state of affairs really.

Maybe not on the scale of counterfeiting "45's just to share with friends and not for selling on" but none the less a poor show from a long standing member of the soul fraternity whose shot himself in the foot.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

messaged him myself and received this

"Please be advised what you have written is Libelous matter
You have no proof to corroborate your rash statements
Either retract immediately and apologise or we will take this matter further 
What you have Libelous stated is Harrasment and will be passed onto the Police as a complaint of such "

Ha!

Social source share

35 minutes ago, jkpnefc said:

messaged him myself and received this

"Please be advised what you have written is Libelous matter
You have no proof to corroborate your rash statements
Either retract immediately and apologise or we will take this matter further 
What you have Libelous stated is Harrasment and will be passed onto the Police as a complaint of such "

Ha!

Got the same response in not so many words.

Brass necked and sad. 

Puts items up for sale on a global web site supported by some very flowery descriptions and then acts the innocent and all of a sudden has adopted the Royal "we". 

He knows he's breaking the law selling counterfeit goods on eBay which is a blatant abuse of the site rules.

Hes not alone and he's simply profiteering whilst there's so many daft sods prepared to buy all manner of pressings at silly prices. 

Bizarrely I can see the attraction for an opportunist not connected to the scene in any way, to see this bootlegging game as a way of making some quick cash, which is what I suspected was the case when I set this topic rolling. 

How wrong was I !

Social source share

Whilst I can appreciate comments from the ovo collectors etc who want to keep the scene pure, be it for personal reasons such as protecting their well paid for collections or because they actually believe that ovo is the all and be all of northern soul and any club allowing copies or boots etc to be played should be banned burned and wiped from the planet, back in the early and mid seventies nobody other than a few top dj/collectors really knew or cared whether we bought an original or a copy.... it was all about the music.

I bought many a record at Wigan and the all dayers around the country and as it turns out some are original and some are just re-issues or second issues on another label but I ain`t gonna throw em away just because of that.

To be frank about it a great many if not most fans of this scene don't care if its original or not I/we only care that's its a great sound played from a record that brings back the memories from a great era and keeps the new guys and girls coming to the scene and, if it wasn't for the internet most like me would still be in the dark over the situation.

So I say to the clubs "just let the DJ`s play the records and the dancers dance " We ain`t gonna be label spotting as we are usually to busy dancing and enjoying it to care if its on ...Awake 501/2 ,Ashford,  Grapevine or a complete blank white label! If it plays well that's all that matters AND  at least it ain`t  Jimmy Sha Rays pathetic effort :D

Merry Xmas

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, PeteSi said:

Whilst I can appreciate comments from the ovo collectors etc who want to keep the scene pure, be it for personal reasons such as protecting their well paid for collections or because they actually believe that ovo is the all and be all of northern soul and any club allowing copies or boots etc to be played should be banned burned and wiped from the planet, back in the early and mid seventies nobody other than a few top dj/collectors really knew or cared whether we bought an original or a copy.... it was all about the music.

I bought many a record at Wigan and the all dayers around the country and as it turns out some are original and some are just re-issues or second issues on another label but I ain`t gonna throw em away just because of that.

To be frank about it a great many if not most fans of this scene don't care if its original or not I/we only care that's its a great sound played from a record that brings back the memories from a great era and keeps the new guys and girls coming to the scene and, if it wasn't for the internet most like me would still be in the dark over the situation.

So I say to the clubs "just let the DJ`s play the records and the dancers dance " We ain`t gonna be label spotting as we are usually to busy dancing and enjoying it to care if its on ...Awake 501/2 ,Ashford,  Grapevine or a complete blank white label! If it plays well that's all that matters AND  at least it ain`t  Jimmy Sha Rays pathetic effort :D

Merry Xmas

Oh dear. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Oh dear. 

At least I ain`t condoning the playing of CD`s LoL :ohmy:

But if all records disappeared would there still be a Scene :yes: Oh gosh I think there would and it would be an all cd/mp3 affair ...God help us.

Enough devilment for one day

Please Lord let the collectors collect and the DJ`s just concentrate on playing the records ..  Amen

Edited by PeteSi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Soul16 said:

Sometimes I wonder if the Northern Soul scene has been hijacked by internet trolls trying to wind us 'purists' up!

The way things are going, I reckon it might be best to sell my collection of decent originals and find another interest in my old age. FFS

Give me your records and I'll teach you to knit. 

:wicked:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

His latest reply

" Have you ever bought anything from us?
Not here to tell you anything but note you confess to know all and everything
You have made certain accusations of Libelous content in your approach to us
Entirely at your discretion to apologise, your decision, but now we are not interested
Your conduct is clearly of a Harrasment nature "

Social source share

On 12/15/2016 at 08:29, illusive said:

Thank you

YOU:

Thanks and Merry Xmas

Place bid

The Tobi Legend that appears on the ebay sale above is the exact same copy that appears on his event posting.
Just look at the first letter 'a' in the word Mala & the slightly offset label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, chalky said:

Sadly, these scumbags probably do more business when there sales are highlighted.  Ebay refuse to do anything about them as they make so much money from them, unless confronted by the lawyers of the copyright owner. 

Normally I'd agree with you Chalky about highlighting sales but it's a bit different in this case.
All I'm going to say is I wouldn't want this seller knowing my address.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!