bo diddley

Sound on adverts

Hi Mike and any Tech savvy members

When reading various threads, there are usually adverts somewhere just after the first post. Some of these for larger companies and household name products have sound. 

Over the last few days or so this sound track has started playing. Previously, this never happened. If I go to the ad (which looks like a mini "youtube" type video) and "mute" the sound, it stops for that ad. But, it appears that there is a series of different ad's with sound and they seem to rotate while you are reading the same thread. So you can mute the first ad then the next one will start playing it's sound track.

Not a massive problem. But, if you have a few "tab's" open, it's just weird when random advert soundtrack start playing. It's also a very odd experience if you are playing an embedded youtube clip and you have the advert sound track start playing in the background.

I'm sure I haven't changed any settings on my laptop.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and Chrome.

Is there something I can do to stop this? Any help would be appreciated

All the best

Kev Bod

Kev

not sure on this, as its something i haven't come across yet on the site

when you hear the music - can you look at the browser tabs and see if a musical 'note' is present in any of the tabs - and if so see is it a 'soul source' page tab

the note may indicate where the music is playing as may be  a different site 

if it def on soul source page can you let me know the advert if possible ?

i can then look deeper into it

thanks for passing on

mike

16 minutes ago, mike said:

Kev

not sure on this, as its something i haven't come across yet on the site

when you hear the music - can you look at the browser tabs and see if a musical 'note' is present in any of the tabs - and if so see is it a 'soul source' page tab

the note may indicate where the music is playing as may be  a different site 

if it def on soul source page can you let me know the advert if possible ?

i can then look deeper into it

thanks for passing on

mike

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, there was a small speaker type icon on the top of the tab.

I'll get back to you if it happens again. Although, now that I've muted the ad's as they came up, it seems as if they stay muted the next time they appear on rotation.

All the best and have a good Christmas.

KB

Hi Mike,

Just thought I'd mention that this "sound on the adverts" thing happened again this morning. On advert's for Gel Shoe inserts and Gaviscon!!

It looks like the ad's are targeted at folks who have had a big weekend of dancing and drinking/eating too much.

Not a major problem, just a bit odd when random sounds pop out of the lap-top.

Cheers

sounds like they are getting cleverer !

on the ads and sound 

does it remember your choice, as in if you hit pause then it stops playing in future?

in the top right corner of the ad there should be a icon marked something like 'ad choices'

if you click that then you may be able to 'opt out' of either all video/audio ads or just that one?

Hi Mike, Yes, if I press the "Mute" on the Ad, my choice is remembered and I don't get sound from that ad in the future. However, I have to do this on each ad. I've checked out Ad Choices on the Google account. The only choice seems to be to out out of "personalised" ad choices rather than "sound on/off"

So, I assume that if I don't use Google Chrome, it won't be an issue. I think I'll just live with it though. 

Thanks for your help and time on this Mike

3 hours ago, bo diddley said:

Hi Mike, Yes, if I press the "Mute" on the Ad, my choice is remembered and I don't get sound from that ad in the future. However, I have to do this on each ad. I've checked out Ad Choices on the Google account. The only choice seems to be to out out of "personalised" ad choices rather than "sound on/off"

So, I assume that if I don't use Google Chrome, it won't be an issue. I think I'll just live with it though. 

Thanks for your help and time on this Mike

it shouldn't be just chrome browser kev

if you do the same on firefox etc it should work the same , as in remember your choices ?

as far as am aware they should only 'officially' play audio if you interact with them , eg mouse over the ad etc etc 

On 16/01/2017 at 09:44, bo diddley said:

Hi Mike,

Just thought I'd mention that this "sound on the adverts" thing happened again this morning. On advert's for Gel Shoe inserts and Gaviscon!!

It looks like the ad's are targeted at folks who have had a big weekend of dancing and drinking/eating too much.

Not a major problem, just a bit odd when random sounds pop out of the lap-top.

Cheers

I've just been moaning about the same thing this morning - really annoying, and really loud even though laptop sound level is low. Only seem to appear on certain threads i.e. the Tommy Tate one today. I just keep muting them every time but a pain in the arse

7 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

I've just been moaning about the same thing this morning - really annoying, and really loud even though laptop sound level is low. Only seem to appear on certain threads i.e. the Tommy Tate one today. I just keep muting them every time but a pain in the arse

Hi Chris,

Thanks for adding to the thread. I was convinced that I was the only one and cocking-up somehow! (wouldn't be the first time)

Cheers

KB

whats the advert Chris?

as said they should only play if you interact with them such as  'mouse' over the advert

they are from google and they should be the same as ads on other sites 

if they are playing audio with no interaction then they may be 'rogue' ones and  best let me know what the ad is

cheers

mike

Hi Mike, 

Just seems to be random - just looked on Tommy Tate thread and was 'Dettol' and 'Sess Me' (some Apple thing) on a loop, then you go back in and it's changed - the second time House of Fraser. Looks like because I muted the sound earlier it has stayed muted, though the House of Fraser one didn't have sound anyway. 

The 'Dettol' type ones until I muted them earlier started just playing the sound loudly at random. They are a bit like the ones before youtube clips, lasting under a minute. As I say they appear to have stayed muted for now though.

Not sure that helps but there you go :g:

Cheers, Chris.

thanks Chris

hard to deal with or give advice as everyone gets different ads

so its hard to see whats going on in order to deal with it

I haven't seen any of the ads mentioned so far

are they all being displayed  via the under the first post slot ?

9 minutes ago, mike said:

thanks Chris

hard to deal with or give advice as everyone gets different ads

so its hard to see whats going on in order to deal with it

I haven't seen any of the ads mentioned so far

are they all being displayed  via the under the first post slot ?

Mike, yes they are the ad's which appear under the first/opening post in a thread.:thumbsup:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.