Is it me, but

Julianb

20 minutes ago, JulianB said:

are sellers on here trying to take the p**s

Seen a good few 45s recently at 50% over the realistic price.!  I may be out of touch but not much. No feedback to say they have sold says it all really.

Your thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

I think some do Julian. It's up to them and as you say they dont get a sale anyway. I just ignore those sorts of sellers and buy from people I know and trust.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Another case of exploiting the current over inflated market place.  Too many in it for a fast buck and not interested in being fair.  

Wants is the worse though, I've replied to wants with a fair price, often less than the going rate and they come back with I was looking to pay two thirds that. No longer bother looking at wants most of the time.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

22 hours ago, JulianB said:

are sellers on here trying to take the p**s

Seen a good few 45s recently at 50% over the realistic price.!  I may be out of touch but not much. No feedback to say they have sold says it all really.

Your thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

You are correct in many ways. I commented in a similar vein on a recent thread. There was a record offered a few weeks ago which has been a 50 quid record for the last couple of years and a 20 quid record years before that, in fact it was on sale on SS at around £50 six months ago. Imagine my  surprise when I looked and it was 200 !! Some prices quoted on here are even above what major dealers are asking and they have to pay staff, VAT etc and still make a profit. I'd like to think it was down to lack of market knowledge, but the more I see of these sales posts the more I'm getting convinced that some individuals are just taking a chance that there are gullible collectors who will splash the cash. Over recent months I've made a mental note of who these sellers are and no longer bother reading their sales posts. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I started selling off my collection this year, wee lists of 10 or so records every couple of weeks, on here and Facebook. I've been off the scene since the early 90's so have to rely on advice from good friends who are still at it, and by noting the asking prices of sales of records I know I have. I guess there might be a few sellers in the same boat as me. It's far from being an exact science and I've got it wildly wrong on a few occasions - £500 for Frank Dell was rapidly cut down to £400 after Darren Brown listed one the following day and sold it within hours;  and sold a Lloyd and Glen on BRA for £20 when £200 was nearer the mark - but I've done pretty well so far.

I resisted the temptation to sell up for years, purely out of spite. I got these records the hard way - haggling, hustling, punting gear, bargain hunting, getting lists form the States: I hated the thought of some fanny with a laptop, a wallet full of credit cards but no history just pushing a button and instantly acquiring my treasures, but needs must. I have a daughter to provide for, all the money's getting stashed away for her, so I've got to try get as much as I possibly can. Besides, I don't want to be that guy who sells his Masqueraders/How for - say - £900, only for buyer to promptly fire it up on ebay for £1500. That would frazzle my brain beyond endurance!

I've been very surprised at how polite it's all become. In Ye Olden Days we would routinely haggle on price, even if it was fair, but very seldom has anyone come back to me to ask if I'd take a lower price. I have even taken to inviting folk to make an offer if they think it's too much; it's prompted a few more responses but not much.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!