Soul16

Nightclubbing

OK, So you're into Northern Soul, but did you also go nightclubbing in your youth too?

If so, where did you go and what were you memories and favourite records from your particular nightclubbing period?

My nightclubbing years were around 1982 to 1986, when I was aged 19 to 23.

I used to go to Pagoda Park, Millionaires, and The Dome in Birmingham, also Eves in Wolverhampton a few times.

Awesome sound systems in all of them, amazing light and lazer shows, folks generally getting drunk and hoping to 'pull' - you know the routine.

One of my lasting memories was at Eves in Wolverhampton, the DJ was in a circular booth and us punters could stand above this booth and watch him do his stuff, I remember one night that the DJ was playing some Tamla Motown (as mainstream clubs often did for 30 minutes or so) but what made this special was the fact that the he was mixing 'live' using original 45s, playing no more than a minutes worth of music from each record, he literally had a pile of records on his right hand side and was feeding them to the decks, one by one, then flinging them onto another pile to his left after he'd faded the next one up, pitch and beat perfect. It was an impressive sight to be honest, vinyl mixing at it's best. 

Anyway, some of my favourites from those days:

Freeeze - Southern freeze, Jazzy Dee - Get on up, Phil Fearon and Galaxy - Everybody's laughing, Man Parrish - Hip Hop Be Bop, Hashim - Al Naafiysh. (All on 12" singles of course)

Anybody care to share a memory or any non- Northern favourites from their youth?

1 minute ago, El Corol said:

If you were going to Pagoda Park, Millionaires and the Dome around that time you didn't happen to have a permed mullet and a white shirt by any chance:ohmy:

Strangely enough I did for a while - Aubergine Zoots and a grey leather box jacket too. I was leading a double life :wicked:

10 minutes ago, Soul16 said:

Strangely enough I did for a while - Aubergine Zoots and a grey leather box jacket too. I was leading a double life :wicked:

Ha ! forgot about those grey leatherbox jackets. Did you also have the obligatory moustache :shhh:

40 minutes ago, El Corol said:

Ha ! forgot about those grey leatherbox jackets. Did you also have the obligatory moustache :shhh:

No, but I did fall victim to the wing collar shirt and slim dickie bow look. 

Time for this topic to be closed methinks, it's going nowhere fast :)

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.