Favourite Christmas soul record

Winsford Soul

It's that time of the year when every time you go out anywhere you hear Christmas songs and its the same crap records everywhere. What would be your favourite Christmas related soul record. Mine would have to be Lonnie Hill. Cold winter in the ghetto.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Lonnie+hill.+cold+winter+in+the+ghetto&&view=detail&mid=F3FA727622BC135B6C58F3FA727622BC135B6C58&FORM=VRDGAR

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Always liked Frank McComb 'Christmas Day' - had a very enjoyable and cold New York Christmas mid 90's and it was playing in the shops. Remember being amazed at the amount of 'Holiday' music you could buy in the US - seems to be a much bigger thing over there. Anyway Frank McComb avoids the potential schmaltz trap with a superb Donny Hathaway style vocal which I make sure gets a spin every Christmas while I'm peeling the spuds:-

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

I can only think of Edwin at the moment. But hey, nowt wrong with Edwin. 

Christmas must be a uplifting experience at your house Pete if you play joyous records such as that on Christmas morning . :lol:

Great record though :thumbsup:

Edited by shinehead
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

"Christmas Time" - Jan Bradley, "Gee Whiz, It's Christmas" - Carla Thomas, "Some Day At Christmas" - Stevie Wonder, "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home", Darlene Love, "This Christmas" - Donny Hathaway, "I'm Going Christmas Shopping" - Horace Williams, "Merry Christmas" - Cameos, "Sleigh Ride"- Ronettes, "Winter Wonderland"- Darlene Love

Social source share

16 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

It's that time of the year when every time you go out anywhere you hear Christmas songs and its the same crap records everywhere. What would be your favourite Christmas related soul record. Mine would have to be Lonnie Hill. Cold winter in the ghetto.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Lonnie+hill.+cold+winter+in+the+ghetto&&view=detail&mid=F3FA727622BC135B6C58F3FA727622BC135B6C58&FORM=VRDGAR

Steve

For a Xmas record , love it Steve . Getting plays with us .  then back on the shelf for 12 months . 

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

22 hours ago, TRICKY said:

Detroit all the way for me.

Nibbs - Spending christmas day with you - Arc Lark

Betty Lloyd - Six days til xmas - BSC (far superior cut to Snowflakes on Thomas)

Tricky

Got Betty Lloyd on Thomas and BSC, just played them both on the twin decks same vocals, the strings are louder on the Thomas side. Curiously the BSC states 3:30 time and the Thomas 2:41, the Thomas side lasts 10 sends longer in the fade???

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!