What's your Best Buy of 2016

Dean

Apologies if too similar to SoulSource Record club, but was just contemplating my personal favourite purchase of 2016? Hard to do one. Not the most expensive, not the cheapest deal, all things considered what's in your box now that wasn't  on 1st Jan, that you return to with a grin. Just one. 

I'm going for this purchased off Mick Donnelly, I missed one from Manships Friday drop down auction a while ago, not realising how scarce. BRIGGETTE KOBERLY on naptown. IMG_2059.JPG

Social source share

We were doing our usual charity shop tour and having had enough of going through rubbish I was all for missing out the last one in town. But the wife said we may as well check it out, reluctantly I agreed and as we walked in I spotted a pile of 45's, as I started going through them I came across some Ray Merrell stuff ( his pop/country things). I didn't expect anything but the last record I found was Tears of Joy. I didn't have any cash on me and had to borrow the £1.00 needed to buy it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Dean said:

Apologies if too similar to SoulSource Record club, but was just contemplating my personal favourite purchase of 2016? Hard to do one. Not the most expensive, not the cheapest deal, all things considered what's in your box now that wasn't  on 1st Jan, that you return to with a grin. Just one. 

I'm going for this purchased off Mick Donnelly, I missed one from Manships Friday drop down auction a while ago, not realising how scarce. BRIGGETTE KOBERLY on naptown. IMG_2059.JPG

brilliant record dean....

for me picking up a very rare issue (never seen another) jimmy dee - the push - palm

put my old dj copy up in sales

Social source share

Picked up a very tidy copy of the Esquires on a Stateside issue for £3. Didn't think that was too shabby.Got a Run While It's Dark Platters '65 for around 15 which wasn't too bad as it's unplayed. Winning some losing some as I dabble in the cheaper side of the market.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sidney Barnes - I hurt on the other side - Red Bird WLP - £150  - Discogs

Fred Waters - Don't let it get you down boy - Ref-O-Ree WLP - £50 - major dealer set sale list

But like most great opportunities you have to be logged on as they get listed - or they are gone

and from 5 yrs ago - Mr. Soul - What happened to yesterday - Genuine - $89 incl postage - ebay 01.32 in the morning

If only it was that easy all the time

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I didn't actually buy this record in 2016 but my mate Craig Butler did. Best £6 spent this year he said BLACK PEPPER "You Keep Running Out Of Gas" (uk Sticky ST003).

Hard to believe this 45 wasn’t splashed all over You Tube years ago picking up rave reviews until Craig did the right thing and uploaded the first ever clip a few weeks ago. Thought to be from the late sixties / early seventies (?) and not released at the time. Seems to be the only known recording by this obscure group written, produced and arranged by Roger Hatcher.

Released on the South London based Sticky label sometime circa 2006 it seems to have completely slipped under the radar and passed over by tons of good collectors who I’m sure would love it if they heard it. This complete lack of You Tube exposure has unfortunately kept it in the dark for too long but thankfully hasn’t prevented this limited press run from completely selling out.

It was £6 as a new release ten years ago and if you search hard enough you can still just about pick up a copy for the same price. Result.

Derek x

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, Derek Pearson said:

I didn't actually buy this record in 2016 but my mate Craig Butler did. Best £6 spent this year he said BLACK PEPPER "You Keep Running Out Of Gas" (uk Sticky ST003).

Hard to believe this 45 wasn’t splashed all over You Tube years ago picking up rave reviews until Craig did the right thing and uploaded the first ever clip a few weeks ago. Thought to be from the late sixties / early seventies (?) and not released at the time. Seems to be the only known recording by this obscure group written, produced and arranged by Roger Hatcher.

Released on the South London based Sticky label sometime circa 2006 it seems to have completely slipped under the radar and passed over by tons of good collectors who I’m sure would love it if they heard it. This complete lack of You Tube exposure has unfortunately kept it in the dark for too long but thankfully hasn’t prevented this limited press run from completely selling out.

It was £6 as a new release ten years ago and if you search hard enough you can still just about pick up a copy for the same price. Result.

Derek x

Hi Derek

This is a re-issue of a limited import 12" single that Will and Roger Hatcher released, Soul Bowl got some and so did Record Corner at the time but they quickly disappeared.

Happy New Year

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Best for me (not difficult as i bought less than a handful) was Danny Lee ( Think this is actually Dan Penn) Stop calling me baby UA $50

Only heard it this year, had to get one but was initially put off by the price but eventually found this one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!