Mamie Galore- St Lawrence issue

Ian Parker

3 minutes ago, IanP said:

Please put me out of my misery...   I've scoured popsike/the web for a definitive answer on what's original and what's not.  There seems to be different text on different copies, so which is legit? 

I don't think this has ever been booted ( unless it's been done recently) so both are originals.

Social source share

The white demo has Cragvee and Overcome as the publishers.

The original St Lawrence issues are credited to publishers Cragvee and Overcome. 

The Chess distributed St Lawrance issue's are credited to publishers Cragvee and Overcome.

It seems strange that some St Lawrence issues have a grainy look to the label colours,  and are pressed from a different master disc than those above, and have Cragvee omited from the publishers credits! 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

11 hours ago, IanP said:

Please put me out of my misery...   I've scoured popsike/the web for a definitive answer on what's original and what's not.  There seems to be different text on different copies, so which is legit? 

Was never booted, did you see one on Popsike where seller says it's a re-issue or boot ?

Social source share

9 hours ago, Tony Smith said:

As late as 1990 you could still buy this off the stall in Berwick Street for £1.50, I must've bought dozens, god knows how many Tony Rounce, Ady C, had and traded over the years they were working there?

and thruout the 90s into 2000s was only a staggering £4 or £5..... these were such common records (great as they are).... cant get my head round why it should be 2 figures now to be fair

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

26 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

and thruout the 90s into 2000s was only a staggering £4 or £5..... these were such common records (great as they are).... cant get my head round why it should be 2 figures now to be fair

And yet in 1972 it was quite a rare record.

Social source share

1 hour ago, IanP said:

Thanks for the photo, Chris.   Mine is as per the bottom photo, but only has 'overcome' as publishers

Mines the top one, I've had all of them and prefer the bottom one, never like the white one much, but hey-ho as long as it's an original.

Social source share

11 hours ago, Chris L said:

All three of these are orginals

Mamie.jpg

Mamie3.jpg

Mamie4.jpg

There is also an issue without the Cragvee mentioned on the label.  This is the one i think is a bit dodgy.  Could have been a early USA bootleg etc.

Social source share

38 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

There is also an issue without the Cragvee mentioned on the label.  This is the one i think is a bit dodgy.  Could have been a early USA bootleg etc.

That's mine, not sure why anyone in the States would bootleg an easily available record, but stranger things have happened 

Social source share

3 hours ago, solidsoul said:

Wouldn't mind seeing a copy of that. Back in about 1998/99 I bought about 10 copies of Johnny Sayles in the US, all were DJ copies and the seller scratched out the "not for sale" text :( they were originals but has less text on them than regular copies. I'm guessing because of the 1960s chaos to get records pressed standards were not always followed.

Social source share

3 hours ago, IanP said:

That's mine, not sure why anyone in the States would bootleg an easily available record, but stranger things have happened 

Sometimes, if a record looked like hitting in other territories, I guess there would be a rush to get product out to market, hence different plants used, and label variations down to blanks running out etc.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Chris L said:

Wouldn't mind seeing a copy of that. Back in about 1998/99 I bought about 10 copies of Johnny Sayles in the US, all were DJ copies and the seller scratched out the "not for sale" text :( they were originals but has less text on them than regular copies. I'm guessing because of the 1960s chaos to get records pressed standards were not always followed.

Mamie Galore without Cragvee mentioned as publishers. 

It was more probable for a hit to be booted in the States , than something that was not selling!! 

Maybe it was just another pressing plant.  But when a proper copy is cheap, why take the risk on this?

Scan.jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

25 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

Mamie Galore without Cragvee mentioned as publishers. 

It was more probable for a hit to be booted in the States , than something that was not selling!! 

Maybe it was just another pressing plant.  But when a proper copy is cheap, why take the risk on this?

I believe the record just made it into the Billboard Top 100

Social source share

5 hours ago, IanP said:

There is a history of bootlegging or should I say counterfeiting in the States of newly released material including Motown top sellers sold as original new stock.  Quite a few book mention it.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 09:05, dave pinch said:

What does it go for now?

P:)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!