Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

1 hour ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

OK I'm rubbish at photography, I don't even have any proper equipment but wanted to share these because I don't usually get this close to Buzzards, taken on mobile phone, no bait, no zoom lens, rubbish quality therefore, more of interest with it letting me get so close.

20170127_131234.jpg

20170127_131326.jpg

Looks more like a honey buzzard than your everyday, common buzzard – unless it's one of the pale-plummaged variety. What do others think?

Social source share

9 hours ago, TattooDave said:

Is it beyond everyone's capabilities to photoshop a cape and mask on this dog, and have him flying through the air, as I'd really like to see it:yes:

Nooooo! If anybody does can I sue em for copyright??

Social source share

4 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Looks more like a honey buzzard than your everyday, common buzzard – unless it's one of the pale-plummaged variety. What do others think?

It looks like a  ( Pale Variant ) common Buzzard to me. Honey Buzzards are rare summer visitors to the UK between April / October.

Steve

Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

It looks like a  ( Pale Variant ) common Buzzard to me. Honey Buzzards are rare summer visitors to the UK between April / October.

Steve

Difficult to say for sure. Even this thread has numerous pics and comments about people chasing rare and unexpected species. More pics would help, of course...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

9 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Difficult to say for sure. Even this thread has numerous pics and comments about people chasing rare and unexpected species. More pics would help, of course...

I must say the picture looks too grey in the head and shoulders to convince me, I have never flown a honey buzzard to the fist or been that close to one, but as a youngster I had a buzzard that I used to fly and there was no grey in his colouring at all.  Cornwall and the Scilly's are renowned for having birds that get blown off course, so it could be an unexpected species as both you and I think.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, martyn pitt said:

Common Buzzards are a wide variety of colours and shades in the UK, it can be difficult to ID a rare one

Had a Water Rail on show right in front of the hide, even swimming around, which was nice :thumbsup:

534_064.jpg

534_068.jpg

534_090.jpg

Martyn. Fabulous pictures as always mate.

Question for you. Could you please send some midlands sunshine up to Manchester and the North West.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Question for you. Could you please send some midlands sunshine up to Manchester and the North West.

Steve

It was grey and wet this morning Steve, the Water Rail was doing a song and dance in front of the hide, but the light was pants. I got lucky around mid day with a break in the weather for a short spell, and I managed to get these shots, but it soon resorted to grey and pants.

I had been in the hide for around an hour, I was beginning to think that the little devil would not show it's face again, when out it came for a swim

I am also thinking that is a corvid in that shot, but unsure as to which.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 1/28/2017 at 16:20, martyn pitt said:

Common Buzzards are a wide variety of colours and shades in the UK, it can be difficult to ID a rare one

Had a Water Rail on show right in front of the hide, even swimming around, which was nice :thumbsup:

534_064.jpg

534_068.jpg

534_090.jpg

Great shot martin of a timid bird.Hardly see one these days.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, NCFC said:

Great shot martin of a timid bird.Hardly see one these days.

Chris. You need to get over to Pennington flash. I've seen up to three together at once. Don't think I've visited without seeing them.

Had one run across the board walk in front of me last week at Leighton Moss. 

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Kev

I'm using a Canon 500mm L IS USM mk2 on a 7Dmk2 body . I decided after thinking long and hard to spend some of the kids inheritance money

Steve

Steve,

I keep thinking about something like that, I'm using a Nikon D7100 with a135 F2 AF DC prime lens and and an 18-200 F3.5 zoom, but I'm mainly taking landscapes and my daughters horse riding. It's not a full frame sensor so it's 1.5 times the focal length.

Kev

Social source share

4 hours ago, stateside said:

Steve,

I keep thinking about something like that, I'm using a Nikon D7100 with a135 F2 AF DC prime lens and and an 18-200 F3.5 zoom, but I'm mainly taking landscapes and my daughters horse riding. It's not a full frame sensor so it's 1.5 times the focal length.

Kev

Kev.

Honestly. If your mainly taking landscape and horse portraits it may not be worth the huge investment but if you want to get into wildlife pictures its well worth the money. You wont lose on these top lenses they hold the prices remarkably well even 2nd hand like mine as Martyn told me.

I couldn't justify £5500 on a full frame body with the frame rate ( 14 per second ) I need for bird photography that's why I choose the 7D mk2  ( 10 per second )

Like yours its a crop sensor of 1.6 so in effect my 500mm becomes 800mm when you add on the X 2 convertor ( if needed ) I'm shooting at virtually telescope lengths

Steve

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Kev.

Honestly. If your mainly taking landscape and horse portraits it may not be worth the huge investment but if you want to get into wildlife pictures its well worth the money. You wont lose on these top lenses they hold the prices remarkably well even 2nd hand like mine as Martyn told me.

I couldn't justify £5500 on a full frame body with the frame rate ( 14 per second ) I need for bird photography that's why I choose the 7D mk2  ( 10 per second )

Like yours its a crop sensor of 1.6 so in effect my 500mm becomes 800mm when you add on the X 2 convertor ( if needed ) I'm shooting at virtually telescope lengths

Steve

Blimey, i held me breath forking out £250 for me Lumix TZ70!! I did get a bit knocked off for a price match though :yes:

Great bird photo's :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

Beautiful city, was there a few years ago when it snowed.

I took this and the rather disturbing second image whilst there.

Lovely pic. I see what you mean about the second image, although if your partner is also your soul mate, then go for it. :D

A wonderfully picturesque place is Brugge, that's for sure. We first visited about three years back and had a great time then as well. Nice to visit again and take in a soul/popcorn event at the same time. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Lovely pic. I see what you mean about the second image, although if your partner is also your soul mate, then go for it. :D

A wonderfully picturesque place is Brugge, that's for sure. We first visited about three years back and had a great time then as well. Nice to visit again and take in a soul/popcorn event at the same time. 

There's a small café near one of the perimeter windmills that is run by a couple of Belgian soulies, lots of memorabilia and scooter stuff in the café, and the food wasn't bad either.  I first visited Bruges when a teenager, looking for Tintin stuff and Belgian beer after forging the paymaster's signature on a border pass from Germany, I used to sell them for 10 marks each, made a small fortune:thumbup:

Social source share

1 minute ago, TattooDave said:

There's a small café near one of the perimeter windmills that is run by a couple of Belgian soulies, lots of memorabilia and scooter stuff in the café, and the food wasn't bad either. 

Pro Deo - run by Kristof Vermeulen and his wife. The soul/popcorn event was just a couple of doors down from their restaurant and Kristof was one of the organisers. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share