Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

10 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Here's a couple of birds in flight from last week that I forgot to post.

First one is a Grey Heron and the second one is a lovely little duck called a Teal. ( male )

Steve

IB2A8013 (2).JPG

IB2A7963 (2).JPG

I regularly see at least one heron when I take the dog for a walk.  Apparently there's five along the stretch of river we walk along.  Plenty of times I've thought to myself, I wish I had a camera with me.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

I regularly see at least one heron when I take the dog for a walk.  Apparently there's five along the stretch of river we walk along.  Plenty of times I've thought to myself, I wish I had a camera with me.

Steve. There's a great excuse to take the camera with you when on your dog walking duties. You never know  what youmay see mate. there's probably dippers and kingfishers there if it's the river I'm thinking of.

Steve

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve. There's a great excuse to take the camera with you when on your dog walking duties. You never know  what youmay see mate. there's probably dippers and kingfishers there if it's the river I'm thinking of.

Steve

Steve, I normally walk along the River Eamont between Eamont Bridge and Brougham.  Might take my camera along next time so watch this space.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Coming home from our Northern Soul Amsterdam event on Sunday morning, which requires an hour-long journey on the night bus and a short cycle ride home, this is what awaited when I got off the bus at four am. Worse, the front combination lock had seized up, although I managed to get it open after about 10 minutes!

IMG_2038.thumb.JPG.d49b8247396655e566ec7cbf1ac7a864.JPG

I don't envy you having to park your arse on that cold saddle.  It was a balmy 4 degrees when I climbed into my car on Sunday morning after attending a local soul night.

Social source share

28 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

I don't envy you having to park your arse on that cold saddle.  It was a balmy 4 degrees when I climbed into my car on Sunday morning after attending a local soul night.

Didn't really notice the cold to be honest. Beer can have that sort of numbing effect. ;-) Once I was on the bike my biggest worry was cycling home through patches of snow and ice and making sure I didn't take a fall, especially as I had my DJ box in one of the panniers. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Even at 10 frames  ( pictures ) per second I couldn't quite get the clear shot of this male Siskin that I wanted.

Steve

Ahhh the old machine gun approach ... single shot myself, comes from that distant memory of 36 shot rolls of film when I was learning the art of photography, that and something called buffer overload :D

The other lads take the piss up at the reserve ... they call me one shot :huh:,  it's like the Valentines Day Massacre every time they photograph something :wicked:

Edited by martyn pitt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

Ahhh the old machine gun approach ... single shot myself, comes from that distant memory of 36 shot rolls of film when I was learning the art of photography, that and something called buffer overload :D

The other lads take the piss up at the reserve ... they call me one shot :huh:,  it's like the Valentines Day Massacre every time they photograph something :wicked:

Martyn. I'm not old enough to have used a 36 shot roll of film. :P

One shot Pitt. That sounds like a old gunslinger,s name from wild Wolverhampton or gun toting Tewkesbury. 

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, crazylegs said:

Just been on a shopping trip to Barcelona.....................sorry I meant eating and wine quaffing trip to Barcelona. Took these 'happy snappies' with my phone, love the colours, sorry for the heads in view, but it was wine o'clock..............

xx

20170213_134255.jpg

The green stuff this end is crystallised grapefruit skin and rind, and it's my favourite accompaniment to a gin and tonic or martini, it beats olives into a cocked hat

Social source share

4 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

The green stuff this end is crystallised grapefruit skin and rind, and it's my favourite accompaniment to a gin and tonic or martini, it beats olives into a cocked hat

La Boqeuira market was one of the wonders of the world to me - a fantastic experience strolling round and grabbing some wonderful tapas. A fabulous city for sure. 

Pete

ps - I might knock vodka on the head this weekend Dave. Get some decent gin for a change.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

La Boqeuira market was one of the wonders of the world to me - a fantastic experience strolling round and grabbing some wonderful tapas. A fabulous city for sure. 

Pete

ps - I might knock vodka on the head this weekend Dave. Get some decent gin for a change.

My last shopping trip to Gibraltar had Tanqueray for £8 a litre, sadly you're not allowed to bring more than one litre back over the border, so much for the united Europe.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just now, TattooDave said:

My last shopping trip to Gibraltar had Tanqueray for £8 a litre, sadly you're not allowed to bring more than one litre back over the border, so much for the united Europe.

Bloody hell! I'd be permanently pissed. I struggle to stay sober with UK prices! 

:rolleyes:

Social source share

9 minutes ago, stateside said:

You shoudl try some of my local Wirral Gin, Pete!  Its only £40 a bottle. We took some out to Australia at Christmas. Really nice but not cheap.

Kev

I'll be having a good look round the supermarket for something good Kev. A birthday treat! 

Social source share

49 minutes ago, HARRY CROSBY said:

Not one of mine sadly, my favourite bird. I see quite a few being an avid fisherman, and i have a couple of my own shots, of this king of the river, but this one is a dream shot, was reading about this shot today, it took something like a 1000 shots to get it, now that is dedication.

KINGFISHER A4.jpg

Harry. Hope you are keeping well. Long time no see. . It's as you say a stunning piece of photography. I assume the tank is full of minnows and the hide and camera are level with the water to get such a shot. probably spent days trying to get the picture, waiting for the light and conditions to be perfect. Dedicated springs to mind.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, suzannek said:

I never get tired of this view. The River Gaunless meandering right by Cockfield Fell20170218_130713.thumb.jpg.7fa71cb85b80313ce271dfeefe187f68.jpg

Beautiful Suz, we are very lucky in this country, to have so much un-spoiled places. I love my fishing, not for catching fish, but just the feeling of being there and being surrounded  by places like this. I have spent my life wondering at the glory of nature, wether it be at it`s finest in glorious weather or at it`s worst in the harshest of weather. xxx

• Helpful 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, HARRY CROSBY said:

Beautiful Suz, we are very lucky in this country, to have so much un-spoiled places. I love my fishing, not for catching fish, but just the feeling of being there and being surrounded  by places like this. I have spent my life wondering at the glory of nature, wether it be at it`s finest in glorious weather or at it`s worst in the harshest of weather. xxx

We certainly do Harry. This is part of my favourite walk.  The river does not support major fish like perch like the Wear or Tees, but there is young salmon and brown trout. I was talking to a bloke not so long ago and my favourite little stream where I live is one of the best spawning grounds for sea trout in the country.  It is very important. I was privileged to see one massive covered in silvery white scales. Fascinating stuff

Suz xxx

Social source share

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 18:27, HARRY CROSBY said:

Hi Steve, yes keeping ok thanks mate, i hope you and yours are the same. I`m still enjoying my fishing and being out in the countryside, along with my side kick  my beloved smooth haired fox terrier, although most of my chub bait, cheese and luncheon meat is given away to her nowadays. I am a very patient person being a fisherman, but wether i would have had the patience for such a wonderful shot........ I don`t think so, and am sure my dog would have spoiled the shot a thousand times lol. Take care my friend, although i don`t post much nowadays, i always enjoy reading this topic.. I`ll leave you with a nice shot of my Fox terrier in full flight, on our local beach one morning All the best H :thumbsup:

rosie full flight.jpg

More fox terrier photos please, I've had wires and smooths over the years and they are probably my favourite breed, though don't tell my Happy, he'd be upset.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

More fox terrier photos please, I've had wires and smooths over the years and they are probably my favourite breed, though don't tell my Happy, he'd be upset.

Love them Dave, so much spirit, an old game keeper once told me "Size of a mouse, Heart of a lion". Rosie is a lovely dog, but she is fully terrier wired, if it moves it get`s it, nose always to the floor when we are out. She`s two years old now, and plays all day every day, she really is a faithful companion and a lovely dog.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

14 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

She's stunning, I had a wire haired live to the age of 24, not at all typical of the breed in that he liked cats.

I have a friend with a wire haired one Dave, she lives with 3 cats, she`s fine with them, but you can`t stroke or pet her, she`d have your hand off, there is only him who can touch her, he`s had her at dog behaviourists and they gave up, yet she get`s on fine with mine. The smooth haired ones, seem to be on the decline nowadays, they are on the endangered breed list over here in the uk, we were thinking of getting another, and i could only find 2  kc registered breeders in the uk, one is about 20 mile away from us in County Durham and the other one is in Scotland, seems everybody prefers the wire haired ones. Very popular breed in the USA and Europe though. I have a mate who has a farm, we go down to his, and let Rosie and his 2 jack russells lose in the barns for a days Ratting, they all had 29 out in the summer. She needs it every now and then, she`s a lovely dog, but fully wired for hunting, as she should be, different dog when she`s working. That`s one hell of an age for a wire haired mate, they are great dogs. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, HARRY CROSBY said:

I have a friend with a wire haired one Dave, she lives with 3 cats, she`s fine with them, but you can`t stroke or pet her, she`d have your hand off, there is only him who can touch her, he`s had her at dog behaviourists and they gave up, yet she get`s on fine with mine. The smooth haired ones, seem to be on the decline nowadays, they are on the endangered breed list over here in the uk, we were thinking of getting another, and i could only find 2  kc registered breeders in the uk, one is about 20 mile away from us in County Durham and the other one is in Scotland, seems everybody prefers the wire haired ones. Very popular breed in the USA and Europe though. I have a mate who has a farm, we go down to his, and let Rosie and his 2 jack russells lose in the barns for a days Ratting, they all had 29 out in the summer. She needs it every now and then, she`s a lovely dog, but fully wired for hunting, as she should be, different dog when she`s working. That`s one hell of an age for a wire haired mate, they are great dogs. :thumbsup:

There's a German owned smooth dog puppy here in Spain, he's very friendly, about 11 months old, I told the owner if he ever wanted someone to walk him I'd do it for free. 

My wire haired was a vegetarian, never looked at a bone even when offered, preferred pasta.

• Helpful 2
Social source share