Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

Here's another photo. This is a rare photograph of a lesser spotted Blackpool Tower, in its natural habitat. Here we can see it showing off it's brightly coloured plumage in an attempt to find a mate, although some observers say it's a reaction to music of the soul genre being played beneath its nest.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_d612efda28be462490f4c0e839b3b489.jpg

Social source share

And here we have the more commonly seen Pintofbeer, warming itself in the spring sunshine at the foot of Scafell pike. Tame in nature, this species is often seen quietly resting on tables. With its rich brown plumage and white head, it is quite striking and elegant. A variation of this particular specimen is the dimpled chubby with handle pint, which is less often seen these days due to the over breeding of the tall slim pint. The Italian varieties are more fluted in shape and are becoming increasingly prevalent in the UK. The Pintofbeer particularly like peanuts and pork scratchings.

WP_20170402_14_10_02_Pro.jpg

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

:g::P Can't believe that you believed Steve.  

Steve 

Who?.....me?........or Steve? .......Where am I again?:rofl::lol:

Social source share

22 hours ago, soulandy said:

had a mooch around the Carneddau area of Snowdonia on Monday and came across my first swallow of the year as well as a Stonechat and what I think is a Whinchat, another first

P1010708.JPG

P1010701.JPG

P1010698.JPG

Andy. Great pictures but your Whinchat looks more like a Rock or Tree Pipit to me.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

53 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. Great pictures but your Whinchat looks more like a Rock or Tree Pipit to me.

Steve

Steve

Yes you're probably right. I was looking at the juvenile whinchat in my book. They all look the bloody same and in my defence I didn't have me specs on :-) Come to think about it, there was quite a few flitting about the area as well as a lot of sky larks. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, soulandy said:

Steve

Yes you're probably right. I was looking at the juvenile whinchat in my book. They all look the bloody same and in my defence I didn't have me specs on :-) Come to think about it, there was quite a few flitting about the area as well as a lot of sky larks. 

Sky larks are a fantastic bird.Lots of people think they only sing during spring but they do it all year round.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, coops said:

It's a puddle where a bit of road once was, found it with me front wheel D'oh!

So concave as opposed to convex, I can see it now.  Still, you've not driven on a bad road until you've been to Alhaurin near me, you could lose a milk float in some of the pot holes there.

Social source share

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 16:05, flamingemeralds said:

And here we have the more commonly seen Pintofbeer, warming itself in the spring sunshine at the foot of Scafell pike. Tame in nature, this species is often seen quietly resting on tables. With its rich brown plumage and white head, it is quite striking and elegant. A variation of this particular specimen is the dimpled chubby with handle pint, which is less often seen these days due to the over breeding of the tall slim pint. The Italian varieties are more fluted in shape and are becoming increasingly prevalent in the UK. The Pintofbeer particularly like peanuts and pork scratchings.

WP_20170402_14_10_02_Pro.jpg

Great picture, looks like a pint of Windermere Pale from Hawkshead Brewery, the best !!!

Social source share

10 minutes ago, mike said:

have fixed

Pete trying to suss out whats going wrong

did you edit it after posting at all?

or did it show messed up straight away?

It showed up straight away Mike - thus inhibiting my ability to edit it. I think it was my fault because I just quoted Andy's post which included the images - I think I should have just cut and pasted the type?

Pete

Social source share

12 hours ago, TattooDave said:

So concave as opposed to convex, I can see it now.  Still, you've not driven on a bad road until you've been to Alhaurin near me, you could lose a milk float in some of the pot holes there.

yeah but i don't pay my taxes there......,. hope you're well my friend, long time no see.

Social source share

11 hours ago, coops said:

yeah but i don't pay my taxes there......,. hope you're well my friend, long time no see.

I try not to pay my taxes here, cash business and all that:shhh:.  Hope to catch up with you in September maybe, might pop over to Skeggy for a pint.

Social source share

14 hours ago, kev cane said:

Great picture, looks like a pint of Windermere Pale from Hawkshead Brewery, the best !!!

How on earth can you tell, just by looking at it? They're all brown with white heads? I honestly don't know what it is, it came from behind the bar at the pub at the base of Scafell. It's not mine, I'm too posh to pint. :rofl: I know "to pint" isn't a verb. "I'm off tut pub to do some pinting chuck". Sounds nicer than "Going to get pi55ed petal". Well, marginally......

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Been out and about today for a change :lol: Had a few firsts . Seen a Swift with a load of House martins, never seen one in April before, managed too see a Little gull another first but couldn't get my lens through the viewing hide to get a picture.  see attached photo for reason. And managed to see for the first time in Cheshire a Red Kite , it flew over the car when I was on the M56 near junc 12 for Runcorn . Well chuffed

Steve

20170415_173708.jpg

Oh, my goodness! Camocamerachameleon!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On 21/04/2017 at 19:31, Winsford Soul said:

Been out and about today for a change :lol: Had a few firsts . Seen a Swift with a load of House martins, never seen one in April before, managed too see a Little gull another first but couldn't get my lens through the viewing hide to get a picture.  see attached photo for reason. And managed to see for the first time in Cheshire a Red Kite , it flew over the car when I was on the M56 near junc 12 for Runcorn . Well chuffed

Steve

I might have to show you mine now Steve :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

I think that is a Chaffinch Chalky .

Male & female Bullfinch would have a black tail, and the eyes would be in it's black cap

Yep, definitely a Chaffinch. I get loads in my garden. Those, and Charles and Columbine the wood pigeons

Social source share

2 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

A couple of big birds from yesterday

542_033.jpg.34a1644e1dd377f8e05daf0736f0b38c.jpg

542_023.jpg.617f7fad6f4c945ad48fe19a04626805.jpg

Is the first bird a peregrine or a sparrowhawk? Or neither? I don't know how you manage to get such spectacular photographs.

Social source share