Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

2 hours ago, flamingemeralds said:

Is the first bird a peregrine or a sparrowhawk? Or neither? I don't know how you manage to get such spectacular photographs.

As the lads have said, it is a Buzzard ... getting decent shots is just getting the basics right, and years of practice.

Best advice to anyone taking a photograph of almost anything is to make sure the sun is behind you, ideally with the light coming over one shoulder onto the subject.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Widnes63 said:

Dave you have jogged my old memory with that comment, apparently the football game Subbuteo is named after the Hobby ( Falco Subbuteo ).

The chap who invented the game wanted to call it " hobby for boys " but the maufacturers thought it a boring name so he came up with Subbuteo...

That's the story I was told :huh:

Peter Adolph just wanted to call it "Hobby", but wasn't given a patent on that name, as you can imagine that would have opened up a real can of worms (still available in Poundland), so came up with "Subbuteo" as you said. 

Buteo buteo is one of the three neo-Latin bird names I can remember, the other two being Perdix perdix, the Partridge, I used to know a Mr. Partridge and he owned his own printing company called the Perdix Press, and the ever so unlikely Troglodytes troglodytes which is the Wren.  No prize for figuring out why I can remember these three.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

Peter Adolph just wanted to call it "Hobby", but wasn't given a patent on that name, as you can imagine that would have opened up a real can of worms (still available in Poundland), so came up with "Subbuteo" as you said. 

Buteo buteo is one of the three neo-Latin bird names I can remember, the other two being Perdix perdix, the Partridge, I used to know a Mr. Partridge and he owned his own printing company called the Perdix Press, and the ever so unlikely Troglodytes troglodytes which is the Wren.  No prize for figuring out why I can remember these three.

Dave. The only one I can remember is Tyto Alba. Barn Owl

Steve

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

WOW. What a privilege that must have been

Steve

I had a 1200 egg incubator running constantly, hatching every egg that was offered, had all sorts in there, macaws, gyr falcons, ducks, turkeys, chickens, goshawks, you name it I tried to hatch them out.  Mostly from captive bred birds, but not always.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

11 minutes ago, chalky said:

What lens are you guys using or recommend for wildlife?

Chalky. I'm using a Canon 500mm f4 is usm mk2. and a Canon 70-200 f2.8 is usm mk2 . They are both amazing lenses. Perfect for both  Bird and wildlife photography.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, chalky said:

What lens are you guys using or recommend for wildlife?

500mm f4 here as well Chalky, you would get away with a 300 f4 on a crop sensor body at a pinch, depends how close you can get.

There are also 3rd party zoom lenses available, quality drops a touch but they are a lot cheaper.

Plenty of 2nd hand lenses out there as well.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, chalky said:

Been looking at the 70-200 f2.8 but the 500 out of my price range unfortunately 

Chalky.  If it's a Canon 70-200 f2.8 make sure it's the mk 2 because it has image stabilisation.  You can always get a tele converter to boost the reach. 1.4 or 2.0. A 2 x would give you a 400mm at f5.6. 

Steve 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just now, martyn pitt said:

I love to see shots of them in their natural surroundings, nice one Steve

Thanks Martyn.  As you know they have just returned from wintering in Africa and the reed beds at Pennington flash are alive with them marking out there territories. Great to hear and see them 

Steve 

Social source share

56 minutes ago, soulandy said:

Anderton Boat lift complete with flying duck photo bombing :-). First time I have seen this, very impressive, the lift not the duck!!

20170501_124834.jpg

Andy. It's a marvel of Victorian engineering. Used to fish right next to it on the Trent and Mersey canal. Great picture

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 5/1/2017 at 22:13, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. It's a marvel of Victorian engineering. Used to fish right next to it on the Trent and Mersey canal. Great picture

Steve

Certainly is a great piece of engineering. We said we'd have to go back for trip on a boat and go on the lift. :yes:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Bruv said:

Our good friend the Crow is still coming onboard fishing boats as they go past Brownsea Island here in Poole Dorset, I managed to grab this picture with the phone recently while crewing on a friends boat, hope you like it. :hatsoff2: 

17992351_10212979634915986_5599494893263322223_n.jpg

Nice picture. Also managed to get the very elusive Basil Brush in the same photo.

:ohmy:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Blackpool Tower Weekender, Saturday night. It's not a photo of the quality some souloids have posted on here, but it has a very nice red hue!

WP_20170429_22_27_55_Pro.jpg

Social source share

9 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Normally a winter visitor to the coastline of the UK.  It's indeed a rare one inland and in the summer to boot

Steve 

They would have been easily confused into thinking it was winter on Saturday, it was freezing cold  :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, HARRY CROSBY said:

Some lovely photo`s coming in now we are into springtime. Nearly time for my Tench fishing escapades at this Beautiful lake in the North east of England. Last year i took only one of my friends with me, this year i`ll take my beloved Smooth fox terriers with me,  the "Rough & Tumble twins" (Aka Rosie & Bob) Should be a fun day out, from dusk til dawn :)

DSCN0097.JPG

bob n rosie.jpg

Love the two dogs Harry. Looks like the new arrival has settled in and become firm friends.

Best to you and Di mate. 

Pete

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Love the two dogs Harry. Looks like the new arrival has settled in and become firm friends.

Best to you and Di mate. 

Pete

:hatsoff2:

Hi mate, yes he`s settled in fine and they get on great together, he`s just hit puberty so as you can imagine his testosterone levels are through the roof at the moment, they already a very active breed, but he`s like a blur at the moment, poor little chap can`t settle at the moment. So it`s lots of walks and training at the moment to keep his mind active, which is great for me, as it gets me out, and i enjoy doing it. All the best to you my mate :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share