Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

On 2017-6-2 at 11:45, Winsford Soul said:

Here's a couple more from me before I make my yearly pilgrimage to Pembrokeshire.

Chiffchaff in dappled woodland light and a Reed Warbler just chilling in the sun

Steve

IB2A9957 (2).JPG

IB2A9977 (2).JPG

Both pictures fantastic, just interested how you got the background effect ? I know about depth of field but to me it just looks more than just a wide aperture.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, SHSDave said:

Both pictures fantastic, just interested how you got the background effect ? I know about depth of field but to me it just looks more than just a wide aperture.

Dave. Thanks for the kind comments.  It is just depth of field using either f2.8 or f4.0 aperture.  Getting the right distance from the subject helps as does the right light. Thanks again. 

Steve 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 02/06/2017 at 17:57, Winsford Soul said:

The lens was definitely worth the months of should I or shouldn't I. 

I personally can see the difference with the pictures so I'm chuffed to think other people can too. 

Steve 

I would agree Steve, I can see how your images have improved, that Reed Warbler with the out of focus reeds and colours in the background is lovely :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

I would agree Steve, I can see how your images have improved, that Reed Warbler with the out of focus reeds and colours in the background is lovely :thumbsup: (

Thanks Martyn.  It was mentioned to me on Sunday at Bury Nighter that my pictures are getting to your level. ( no names ) To which I replied . That you are  my inspiration and target level :hatsoff2:

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. Thanks for the kind comments.  It is just depth of field using either f2.8 or f4.0 aperture.  Getting the right distance from the subject helps as does the right light. Thanks again. 

Steve 

Amazing Steve, I'm well impressed mate :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

A few from me from a very wet and windy Pembrokeshire. The cottage has finally embraced the 21st century and has wi fi.

House Sparrow. Badger

Steve

IB2A0030 (2).JPG

IB2A0117 (2).JPG

Steve, did you see the badger in the day ? In my area they only go out at night, in the day they stay inside their holes.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Philippe said:

Steve, did you see the badger in the day ? In my area they only go out at night, in the day they stay inside their holes.

Philippe. Good morning my friend. :hatsoff2: Like in France the Badgers where I'm staying in Pembrokeshire are generally nocturnal . The picture was taken just before sunset ,so there was still just enough natural light available to take the picture without having to use the flash gun

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Philippe. Good morning my friend. :hatsoff2: Like in France the Badgers where I'm staying in Pembrokeshire are generally nocturnal . The picture was taken just before sunset ,so there was still just enough natural light available to take the picture without having to use the flash gun

Steve

Hi Steve, the same here : most of (big) wild animals go out on twilight, deers, badgers and boars.

Your badger looks really cute ! Here they are enemies of farmers having corn fields that they destroy big time. Once a badger even came inside a neighbour's garden to eat the strawberries !

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Hi Steve, the same here : most of (big) wild animals go out on twilight, deers, badgers and boars.

Your badger looks really cute ! Here they are enemies of farmers having corn fields that they destroy big time. Once a badger even came inside a neighbour's garden to eat the strawberries !

Philippe. If you look closely the badger has no ears or outer ear tufts. Due to the many fights that they have to maintain there dominance within the sett. I guess.

Over here the badgers are the enemy of the farmers because of there alleged spread of bovine TB. The dairy industry in this country uses Friesian cows which have only been in the UK for approx. 100 years . Which in my book says that the badgers having lived here for tens of thousands of years are not to blame. There is a inoculation available against TB but the farmers are on the whole not willing to use it Because they have to pay for it.

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

A very humble and rare offering from me - me garden, taken on my i phone. The Christmas tree on the right is the first tree me and my ex partner had together. Replanted it in the garden - its been there for 20 years now. You can also see a nice Rosemary shrub and my Johnson Blue. I am very lucky to have no neighbours on one side just fields, stables and the canal.

garden.thumb.JPG.dbb27ae6a1f82db2bbde9f439f94e248.JPG

Great to see a Picture of your garden my friend Looking good. I would be fishing in the canal .

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share