Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

2 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

Russell ... London have been on the phone ... what are you doing on the 31st December this year :D 

Anyway my first effort for 2017 a Pied Wagtail

Haha - London, New York, Sydney… they've all been on the phone after seeing my vid and have begged me… to stay away! :lol:

Cracking photo. Martyn. A great first photo for this year's thread. :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 1/1/2017 at 16:31, Russell Gilbert said:

Happy New Year everyone. I hope your Yuletide and New Year celebrations have been plentiful and that the year ahead offers you good health, prosperity, happiness and endless photo opportunities.

To kickstart the new edition of the fabulous "Show us your great photos" thread, I offer not a pic but a video. We took this last night and it shows, in all its glory, the incredible firework display we offered our neighbours from the comfort of our balcony. If you watch the video you'll see our neighbours' fantastic fireworks going off in the background - and then there's ours. :(

This is what you get when you buy a box of mini fireworks from your local cheapskate supermarket (Albert Heijn) for the princely sum of 10 euros! :lol: Still, it was so crap it was a laugh, which means it actually offered great value for money. I hope the vid of our box of damp balcony squibs also raises a smile with you.

Happy New Year!

ohh arh thats s*it, make me laugh hope you new year does'nt fizzle out so easy 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't contribute to this thread, I do like photography but rarely do it. I know a few wrinkles about Ornithology, Zoology and Entomology, I look in on this thread often, very good work, I hope, well I know, that you guys submit your sightings to the relevant county recorders, you do good work.

You birders would absolutely love Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly!

Best wishes lads and lasses!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

A couple of shots of Waxwing, a scarce visitor to our shores from northern Europe and Scandinavia, some years we get good numbers other years they are few and far between, this year has been quite good for them.

Birdwatchers travel miles to see them ... I took these shots from my bedroom window :D, saved going out in the rain and sleet.

D810_034.jpg

D810_050.jpg

D810_006.jpg

You were helped by having a good food plant outside your window though Martyn, that Sorbus hupehensis is always going to attract winter visitors.  Do you get Nutcrackers up your way? The bird, rather than the wooden soldier or metal kind, in case someone was feeling like being sarcastic, I've only ever seen one and that was probably 30 years ago.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

A couple of shots of Waxwing, a scarce visitor to our shores from northern Europe and Scandinavia, some years we get good numbers other years they are few and far between, this year has been quite good for them.

Birdwatchers travel miles to see them ... I took these shots from my bedroom window :D, saved going out in the rain and sleet.

D810_034.jpg

D810_050.jpg

D810_006.jpg

Stunning photos Martyn. And from your bedroom window to. I've travelled hundreds of miles over the years to see them as you know. 

Steve ( jealous from Manchester ) :wink:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

11 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

Hi Dave, not aware of any Nutcrackers in this part of the world

I think they'd need a really hard winter, mine was round about 1990, and was with a load of Redwing.  It stuck out like a sore thumb, and was eating some apples that were rotten and still attached to a tree in an old orchard.

Social source share

26 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

I think they'd need a really hard winter, mine was round about 1990, and was with a load of Redwing.  It stuck out like a sore thumb, and was eating some apples that were rotten and still attached to a tree in an old orchard.

Dave/ Martyn. There has been two recordings of spotted nutcrackers in Scotland ( Lothian ) last October 2016 and that's it for the UK unless you go back to 2009 when one was recorded in Kent.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just now, Winsford Soul said:

Dave/ Martyn. There has been two recordings of spotted nutcrackers in Scotland ( Lothian ) last October 2016 and that's it for the UK unless you go back to 2009 when one was recorded in Kent.

Steve

So a pretty rare sight, I consider myself lucky, I was within about 4 yards of it at one time, it didn't seem bothered by me at all.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve

What is a nutcracker ? Please can someone put a picture of it ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, TattooDave said:

So a pretty rare sight, I consider myself lucky, I was within about 4 yards of it at one time, it didn't seem bothered by me at all.

Dave. The normal range of the bird is Scandinavia to Siberia and apparently only 300 confirmed sightings ever in the UK. Very rare visitors indeed

Steve

Social source share

1 hour ago, TattooDave said:

To be honest Martyn, when I saw him I thought he was a woodpecker, they are just a bit bigger than a jay.

Yes similar to a jay physically. Different colour and without the very distinctive blue eyes. I have a couple of jays who visit regularly - with about 12 other species.   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Yes similar to a jay physically. Different colour and without the very distinctive blue eyes. I have a couple of jays who visit regularly - with about 12 other species.   

I have a couple of migrating Jays visiting the garden at the moment, easily spooked, love peanuts.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bill nice to know the images are appreciated, that is actually the corner post of a Tern raft that has been pushed in close to the shore in front of one of the hides by strong winds, one for us to tidy up and tow back out into the reservoir in the spring.

One of the waxwing visiting my house was ringed, have been informed it was ringed at Westhill Aberdeenshire on the 4th December 2016. 

Edited by martyn pitt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, soulandy said:

A couple from a walk round Kinder Scout above Edale on Saturday. Some great rock sculptures

A killer Whale eyeing up a seal hiding behind a rock :-)

Deep snow drifts and a moody sky

Couple of rock sculptures having a row :-)

Cheers

P1030053.JPG

P1030095.JPG

P1030060.JPG

Wow! Nice one Andy. Would have perhaps liked to have tried to step out of my self imposed hermit life for a walk with kindred spirits. The world and soul! And a flask of tea - like the olden days. :rolleyes:

Pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, soulandy said:

A couple from a walk round Kinder Scout above Edale on Saturday. Some great rock sculptures

A killer Whale eyeing up a seal hiding behind a rock :-)

Deep snow drifts and a moody sky

Couple of rock sculptures having a row :-)

Cheers

P1030053.JPG

P1030095.JPG

P1030060.JPG

Stunning, majestic and Moody. Andy :hatsoff2:

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This isn't my video, but is off you tube taken of the recent snow in my area.   I recognise Cockfield Fell, Woodland, Raby Castle and I think the village that is shown is Copley 2 miles from me (statistically the snowiest place in England and fifth snowiest in the UK) Not that much snow this time but still plenty of time for it

• Helpful 3
Social source share

8 hours ago, suzannek said:

This isn't my video, but is off you tube taken of the recent snow in my area.   I recognise Cockfield Fell, Woodland, Raby Castle and I think the village that is shown is Copley 2 miles from me (statistically the snowiest place in England and fifth snowiest in the UK) Not that much snow this time but still plenty of time for it

A nice reminder of why I'm living on the coast in sunny Spain.

• Helpful 1
Social source share