Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

On 14/05/2017 at 12:46, Steve S 60 said:

Here's one from 1983 in the Indian Ocean.  I'm kneeling at the bottom right of the line up....

1983_sc_co_lg_jpg.jpg.c9da892df96108352eef3da05562630d.jpg

I wonder Steve, on a long voyage, does the captain just think, yep weather's good today, lets have a photo of everybody in their best uniforms... do you have like random things happen at sea while your out there...

Social source share

1 minute ago, Steve S 60 said:

They need to give us a bit of notice Mal.  The old ice cream suits need to be dug out of the bottom of the kit locker, then washed and pressed.  The shoes need blancoed.  "Hands to bathe" is more impromptu, where the crew get the chance to swim in the ocean.  Just after one such occasion, a shark turned up.  A couple of the lads baited a big hook on the end of a chain and managed to catch it.  It took four rounds in the head from a Self Loading Rifle until it stopped wriggling.  Then it was shark steaks for supper.

5925fe7b9bee2_TC58_AMBSJAWS3_jpg.jpg.90b92e7ffea814d5726196989c1bf9d0.jpg

laughs... thats Brilliant... nasty looking bugger isn't he...

Social source share

8 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Top of the Rock, 1982.  HMS Ambuscade down in the dockyard, just before heading to the South Atlantic....

20170524_232654.jpg.50c59a0d374e14d8e9e19130da714a30.jpg

I was in Japan then, didn't hear about the Falklands until it was over and I'd reached Wellington.  Met a chap in Morrison's last Friday morning with a very bright sleeve of tattoos and a strapped up chin and split lip, I asked him if he'd had a skateboard accident as he looked the type, he said he was taking a selfie at Gibraltar Point and fell over, he'd had 9 stitches in his chin that morning, it was only about 10ish when I was talking to him and he'd had the stitches put in 3 hours before.  Nice way to start the day, with my fear of heights I'd never get up there.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, stateside said:

Looks like the one they have in Nice, France

Kev

I think there are still a few around Kev, saw a beauty in Oxford one year, and the Nottingham Goose Fair always yields good photos.  There's a double decker carousel that was sold to the USA and was removed from the UK without an export license many years ago, I'd love to see it in person.

Social source share

3 hours ago, TattooDave said:

I think there are still a few around Kev, saw a beauty in Oxford one year, and the Nottingham Goose Fair always yields good photos.  There's a double decker carousel that was sold to the USA and was removed from the UK without an export license many years ago, I'd love to see it in person.

As a kid I worked on a set of gallopers for about five consequetive summers - weekends and school holidays. Became great friends with the Showmen family who owned them - the Grays. They really looked after us - doing little but important things like making packed lunches for school trips when my mum was in hospital (which was often). My dad was dead and we were really hard up. I wasn't used to such posh snap! 

Pete 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

As a kid I worked on a set of gallopers for about five consequetive summers - weekends and school holidays. Became great friends with the Showmen family who owned them - the Grays. They really looked after us - doing little but important things like making packed lunches for school trips when my mum was in hospital (which was often). My dad was dead and we were really hard up. I wasn't used to such posh snap! 

Pete 

Mablethorpe?

Social source share

1 hour ago, stateside said:

I used to go to Mablethorpe for days out. I'm a Cleethorpes lad myself, Dave, so we used to go to my Nan's caravan in Humberston for the summer.

Kev

I have an uncle and auntie live there, used to visit now and then as a boy, but don't remember much about the place, I did know the Gray's who had the fairground rides there though.

Dave

Social source share

53 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell.  Sounds like your living near me my friend.  Keep safe 

Steve 

Cheers, Steve. It's all very remarkable for our little corner of the Netherlands, that's for sure. Obviously some criminal element has moved in with interests beyond the usual illicit growing and harvesting of weed, which is all too common by virtue of the fact we're in the heartland of the country's horticultural industry. The huge and world-famous flower market – FloraHolland – is just up the road from us.

Usually the crime reports in the local newspaper consist of a couple of burglaries, a bike theft or two, pickpocketing and failed shoplifters. These shooting incidents have taken things to a whole new level!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Here's a couple more from me before a make my yearly pilgrimage to Pembrokeshire.

Chiffchaff in dappled woodland light and a Reed Warbler just chilling in the sun

Steve

IB2A9957 (2).JPG

IB2A9977 (2).JPG

Ste your photographs are getting better all the time, these two are brilliant mate.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Widnes63 said:

Ste your photographs are getting better all the time, these two are brilliant mate.

Thanks Ste.  Glad you think so mate. The lens was definitely worth the months of should I or shouldn't I. 

I personally can see the difference with the pictures so I'm chuffed to think other people can too. Especially people like yourself.  Won't be posting on here for a few weeks but hopefully will get some Puffin. Badger.  Dolphin pictures amongst other things to share

Steve 

• Helpful 2
Social source share