Jump to content
Russell Gilbert

Show us your great photos (2017)

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks for posting Russell. As you say some very good photographs but in my humble opinion like yours, there's better pictures posted  on here . I was under the same impression regarding the BBC Country file calendar .

Steve

Hmm, I see what you mean about the Countryfile calendar. They seem to have gone for a number of cute animal shots rather than ones that are outstandingly good. 

Clearly our expectations are higher - but only because we've been treated to so many fantastic photos during the three years these "Show us your great photos" threads have been running. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red Admirals

 

I have found them what i thought was hibernating in the school bolierhouse in sept. only trouble is when the boilers kick in in Oct it wakes them up and they seem to die,more info below from google.

The Red Admiral is a frequent visitor to gardens throughout the British Isles and one of our most well-known butterflies. This butterfly is unmistakable, with the velvety black wings intersected by striking red bands.

This butterfly is primarily a migrant to our shores, although sightings of individuals and immature stages in the first few months of the year, especially in the south of England, mean that this butterfly is now considered resident. This resident population is considered to only be a small fraction of the population seen in the British Isles, which gets topped up every year with migrants arriving in May and June that originate in central Europe. Unfortunately, most individuals are unable to survive our winter, especially in the cooler regions of the British Isles.

The number of adults seen in any one year is therefore dependent on the number of migrants reaching the British Isles and numbers fluctuate as a result. In some years this butterfly can be widespread and common, in others rather local and scarce. This is a widespread species and can be found anywhere in the British Isles, including Orkney and Shetland.

Edited by smudger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Great photo - very shallow depth of field though. Was that intentional or the result of a quick snatch? (No sniggers from those at the back please!)

Thanks Russell.  It was intended mate shot the picture at f4 to blur out a very messy background  which as you know results in the shallow depth of field 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Russell.  It was intended mate shot the picture at f4 to blur out a very messy background  which as you know results in the shallow depth of field 

Steve 

It's certainly really helped isolate the subject, which is the whole point, of course. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Soulsides said:

K7d6pry.jpg

Out with my whippet in the fields next to where we live  while the sun was actually shining for 5  minutes .

His name is Mojo and he's a terrific little dog.It made me chuckle how he was stood in the warm spot with his eyes closed as I quickly took the pic on my phone.

He's lovely mate. I've been umming and arrring about getting a dog for the last few years. As some of you may know, I am on my own, and have a few mentalist issues, which in relation to getting a dog manifest themselves as such;

  • What if someone breaks into my house and a), steals my dog, or b), my dog gets lose and either gets run over or lost; and;
  • How will I cope when he dies? 

Those maybe quite irrational thoughts for someone who is a little better adjusted in life than me, however, nonetheless, they are things that go round and round in my head. So, I think I can get over those two by spending some money on my fairly derelict house to make it more secure, and reassuring myself that I came to terms with losing Little Smith. (my cat of 18 years).

The other thing is that I can do is a mixture of taking him to work or getting a dog sitter/walker. Yep, I think its time. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. I just need to make a strategic plan.

Pete

:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Peter99 said:

He's lovely mate. I've been umming and arrring about getting a dog for the last few years. As some of you may know, I am on my own, and have a few mentalist issues, which in relation to getting a dog manifest themselves as such;

  • What if someone breaks into my house and a), steals my dog, or b), my dog gets lose and either gets run over or lost; and;
  • How will I cope when he dies? 

Those maybe quite irrational thoughts for someone who is a little better adjusted in life than me, however, nonetheless, they are things that go round and round in my head. So, I think I can get over those two by spending some money on my fairly derelict house to make it more secure, and reassuring myself that I came to terms with losing Little Smith. (my cat of 18 years).

The other thing is that I can do is a mixture of taking him to work or getting a dog sitter/walker. Yep, I think its time. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. I just need to make a strategic plan.

Pete

:thumbsup:

Ooops meant to quote this with my response above

x

Edited by crazylegs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some very sage words of advice from Crazylegs there, I wholeheartedly agree with those comments.

Possibly not as sage as the above advice is a quote from my aunt who's a lovely lady, she's getting on a bit and slightly batty these days but that's what we all like best about her to be perfectly honest .

Her motto is "If you want a dog,then get a dog" !  

 

You can't really argue with that statement in my opinion hehe.:yes:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Thanks Sharon

As you know I am a huge admirer of Clyde - he's a super little dog, very handsome too.

 

Pete

You are very welcome

A dog will only enhance your life, I'm sure there are many soulies on here who can give you some excellent doggy advice if you needed it.

As for my advice for what its worth...............Lots and lots of love and food is the answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:58, Peter99 said:

He's lovely mate. I've been umming and arrring about getting a dog for the last few years.

If you are unsure have you considered a temporary halfway house that could help you decide and could also find the right dog for you, my local animal sanctuary is always on the lookout for dog walkers, if there was one near you I'm sure they would be more than happy with an extra volunteer .On the plus side you'd get interaction with different dogs maybe bonding with one particular dog which you could end up giving a home to. You may also find having a dog isn't for you saving you the heartache of finding out too late after you have gone and bought a dog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

As above thanks to all the contributors to the thread throughout the year, most enjoyable and in some cases educational, keep up the good work, I might even post a few myself when I learn how to better use the camera I've had for two years, thanks again for the many Wow! and smiley moments. Maybe next year people could make a note of their favourites month on month and at the end of the year we could have a vote on picture of the year, any thoughts on that anyone?

That's a nice idea. One option might be to go through the thread at the end of the year and put forward those photos with the greatest amount of "Up Votes". That said, and given the huge talents we have on here, you might find that a top 10 selection of the most liked photos comes from just two or three people. :lol:

If anyone has any suggestions as to how something like this might work, your thoughts are most welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

That's a nice idea. One option might be to go through the thread at the end of the year and put forward those photos with the greatest amount of "Up Votes". That said, and given the huge talents we have on here, you might find that a top 10 selection of the most liked photos comes from just two or three people. :lol:

If anyone has any suggestions as to how something like this might work, your thoughts are most welcome.

I have had a look back over several pages, not all I have to say , I'm not sure why but the further back I went the up votes disappeared , as you say Russ the people with most votes did tend to be the same select few but then again they were regular posters which is fair enough. On the pages I looked at there were plenty of up votes in the 9 to 13 range, top vote I saw was a 17 but again I did not look at all the pages so going purely of the votes during the year a clear winner might not be found.

   My suggestion would be if each month someone was to download the picture or pictures with the most votes  and then in December either declare the winner or post each months picture with the most votes and everyone could vote for their favourite for the year. Hope that makes sense, any more ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

I have had a look back over several pages, not all I have to say , I'm not sure why but the further back I went the up votes disappeared

I think that’s because Soul Source didn’t have an Up vote function when the first photography thread started in 2013. Not sure when that was introduced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Related Soul Music Links

×