Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

2 hours ago, stateside said:

Walked along the edge of the sandhills on Saturday between West Kirby and Hoylake. Taken on the phone, but you can see in the middle distance just how much the estuary has silted up. They used to rake it with a tractor every week which kept it like a typical beach but that was 20 yrs ago probably.

Kev

20170204_112017.jpg

Brings back memories, used to survey this area, are the Natterjack toads still breeding there? They were struggling back in the mid-nineties.

Social source share

22 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Brings back memories, used to survey this area, are the Natterjack toads still breeding there? They were struggling back in the mid-nineties.

They appear to be still there at the Red Rocks end of the beach, which is a bit further along from my photo. This might interest you

https://www.cheshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/news/2014/01/29/new-home-natterjacks-wirral

Kev

Social source share

1 hour ago, soulandy said:

A Virgin Jumbo Jet and the Emirates A380 taking off today at Manchester Airport. A grey misty day so not very clear but awesome things when they go right over your head in touching distance

Fantastic shots. I have the Airbus Beluga flying over my office in Mollington every day, as it comes into land at Broughton . It's so low, that if I'm on the phone I have to wait until it's gone.

You can almost see the rivets. I keep meaning to get a good shot of it

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, soulandy said:

A Virgin Jumbo Jet and the Emirates A380 taking off today at Manchester Airport. A grey misty day so not very clear but awesome things when they go right over your head in touching distance

P1010137.JPG

P1010138.JPG

P1010143.JPG

P1010144.JPG

Andy. The Emirates A380 Flies over work in  Bredbury ( Stockport ) on its approach to Manchester airport. Simply amazing something that big can actually fly

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That's my kind of shot.  I like the grainy effect too

Thanks, Kev. Looking out the window on what was a foggy day, I saw the small boat making its way down the canal and thought there was potential for a half decent pic. I dashed to get my camera out of its case before the boat turned the corner and went out of sight. I also wanted to capture the craft and its occupants while they were in the clear and away from the dark shadows cast by the trees on the bank to the right.

I just managed to fire off this one pic before it was too late. Must look out the window more. :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Thanks, Kev. Looking out the window on what was a foggy day, I saw the small boat making its way down the canal and thought there was potential for a half decent pic. I dashed to get my camera out of its case before the boat turned the corner and went out of sight. I also wanted to capture the craft and its occupants while they were in the clear and away from the dark shadows cast by the trees on the bank to the right.

I just managed to fire off this one pic before it was too late. Must look out the window more. :D

Russell. I 2nd Kevs opinion. So very atmospheric. I'm especially glad to see you have got your camera back out of the case, long may it continue.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fantastic shots. I have the Airbus Beluga flying over my office in Mollington every day, as it comes into land at Broughton . It's so low, that if I'm on the phone I have to wait until it's gone.

You can almost see the rivets. I keep meaning to get a good shot of it

Kev

Cheers. I used to live near the airport and was always watching planes coming and going from the Bollin Valley. I remember seeing a plane called the GUPPY, a parts carrier I think but not sure if I've ever seen the Beluga. Looks mighty big according to youtube :thumbsup:

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. The Emirates A380 Flies over work in  Bredbury ( Stockport ) on its approach to Manchester airport. Simply amazing something that big can actually fly

Steve

Yeh see them regularly as they fly over near to our house. I Believe there's 3 departures/arrivals a day now so getting a bit old hat :D

I've been on a couple as well, awesome machines :thumbsup:

Edited by soulandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell. I 2nd Kevs opinion. So very atmospheric. I'm especially glad to see you have got your camera back out of the case, long may it continue.

Steve

Cheers, Steve. In addition to taking the camera out of the case, I need to go a step further and take it out of the house. It's great when a photo opportunity presents itself from the comfort of your own home, but it's something else to be out there in the field. Soon, I hope... :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, soulandy said:

Cheers. I used to live near the airport and was always watching planes coming and going from the Bollin Valley. I remember seeing a plane called the GUPPY, a parts carrier I think but not sure if I've ever seen the Beluga. Looks mighty big according to youtube :thumbsup:

Andy. I see the Beluga  regularly flying in to Broughton [ British aerospace ) to pick up the Airbus wings whilst I'm fishing at nearby Tarvin sands which is just a few miles away. It's as big as it looks on YouTube.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

51 minutes ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

Ok not a great picture I know, but never seen the lock drained before, Stanground lock river feeds to March - thought I would share

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

Is that recent? as it looks relatively mild weather, and I'm due to descend on the area next Thursday for a week to see family.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spent yesterday mooching about in North Wales. Colwyn Bay, Llandudno areas. No pictures but seen plenty of new born lambs and daffodil's. Spring is just around the corner :thumbup: Cant wait. Definitely my favourite season 

Going out the camera today and hopefully coming back with some otter pictures, well that's the plan but with nature you can be sure that it will be nothing like what I'm planning.

Steve

Social source share

10 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Spent yesterday mooching about in North Wales. Colwyn Bay, Llandudno areas. No pictures but seen plenty of new born lambs and daffodil's. Spring is just around the corner :thumbup: Cant wait. Definitely my favourite season 

Going out the camera today and hopefully coming back with some otter pictures, well that's the plan but with nature you can be sure that it will be nothing like what I'm planning.

Steve

Spent nearly 3 hours on a rather cold day in one particular hide waiting for a sign of the Otters and guess what. Nature won, nothing. Managed to see a couple of marsh harriers , female sparrow hawk,  great white egret and a few bits and bobs but no pictures unfortunately.

Steve

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Martyn. Are these pictures of a 1st winter Caspian Gull ? There are reports of one at Pennington flash and this one stood out from the crowd. It was taken from a long way. Thanks in advance as I don't really know anything about Gulls

Steve 

IB2A7904.JPG

IB2A7905.JPG

Martyn. Sorry mate. Just found a picture.to identify the gull.  It's a juvenile greater black backed gull.

Steve

Social source share

51 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

Does she ever work with earthenware clay, doing slab building or maybe even Raku firing in her spare time away from the shop.  I collect Raku studio pieces, and I'm always looking for shohin or mame bonsai pots of good quality.

White and terracotta earthenware clay in the shop.  Only handbuilding tends to be with the kid's clubs and the special needs group that visit once a week, and that's mostly pinch pots and coil pots.  Raku firing looks fun but I don't know anywhere local that does it.  There's an electric kiln in the shop, with two separate plug in controllers, one is set up for firing clay and the other for firing glaze.  Kathryn's self taught on the potter's wheel and the hand building techniques she picks up online.  I'm sure she could knock up a bonsai pot for you, and give it a personalised paint job.

Social source share

26 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Your daughter is very clever Steve. She's beautiful too. You must be very proud.

Peter

Thanks Peter.  Yes, I am.  She's very good with the customers.  What you can't see from the photo and video is that there are four wheels in a line.  When there's four people throwing a pot each, Kathryn has to talk them all through and show them the process, and keep an eye on everybody's pot to make sure there's no disasters.

I'm in the shop with her tomorrow morning as we have a special needs group in for an hour.  My sister is one of the carers and she brings a group of eight in.  We do a range of crafts with them and they really enjoy it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Martyn. Are these pictures of a 1st winter Caspian Gull ? There are reports of one at Pennington flash and this one stood out from the crowd. It was taken from a long way. Thanks in advance as I don't really know anything about Gulls

Steve 

I know about as much as you Steve ... but I see where you are coming from it does look like one, the juveniles can be tricky.

Edited by martyn pitt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

White and terracotta earthenware clay in the shop.  Only handbuilding tends to be with the kid's clubs and the special needs group that visit once a week, and that's mostly pinch pots and coil pots.  Raku firing looks fun but I don't know anywhere local that does it.  There's an electric kiln in the shop, with two separate plug in controllers, one is set up for firing clay and the other for firing glaze.  Kathryn's self taught on the potter's wheel and the hand building techniques she picks up online.  I'm sure she could knock up a bonsai pot for you, and give it a personalised paint job.

I'll email the shop when I get a chance, maybe Sunday, I'll attach a couple of photos to give her some idea of the challenge involved.  Thanks Steve.

Social source share

11 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Thanks Peter.  Yes, I am.  She's very good with the customers.  What you can't see from the photo and video is that there are four wheels in a line.  When there's four people throwing a pot each, Kathryn has to talk them all through and show them the process, and keep an eye on everybody's pot to make sure there's no disasters.

I'm in the shop with her tomorrow morning as we have a special needs group in for an hour.  My sister is one of the carers and she brings a group of eight in.  We do a range of crafts with them and they really enjoy it.

That's lovely mate. 

:thumbsup:

Social source share

4 hours ago, Peter99 said:

That's lovely mate. 

:thumbsup:

We had the group painting wooden hearts this morning.  Alan, who's Downs Syndrome, talks for Britain, mostly about food.  I normally buy a packet of biscuits for them, and the last few weeks it's been Rocky bars.  Alan asked if I could get some Orange Clubs for this week, as they're his favourite.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

We had the group painting wooden hearts this morning.  Alan, who's Downs Syndrome, talks for Britain, mostly about food.  I normally buy a packet of biscuits for them, and the last few weeks it's been Rocky bars.  Alan asked if I could get some Orange Clubs for this week, as they're his favourite.

Sounds amazing and reminds me of my work in Romania. If you're interested I could send you a DVD - pm your address if you would like one.

Pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share