Show us your great photos (2017)

Amsterdam Russ

20 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

There's a German owned smooth dog puppy here in Spain, he's very friendly, about 11 months old, I told the owner if he ever wanted someone to walk him I'd do it for free. 

My wire haired was a vegetarian, never looked at a bone even when offered, preferred pasta.

Funny that Dave, Rosie loves Pasta & Rice, good for them as well, she has rice and chicken everyday. I know a man of the smooth fox terrier page on facebook,  who has an all white smooth haired one with just black ears, he lives in spain, he`s called his.....Snoopy 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Well I have just signed up to a flickr account after quite a few people have asked me when I have been out and about on my travels. I was wondering who else on here is a member ?

Steve

Still got my Flickr account, although I moved from there to Ipernity around 2011. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rigilbert/

That said, my Ipernity subscription expired last year and I've not bothered to renew it because I think it's too expensive for what it is, and there's a strong likelihood that the site will fold very soon.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/rigilbert?view=1

Social source share

7 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Well I have just signed up to a flickr account after quite a few people have asked me when I have been out and about on my travels. I was wondering who else on here is a member ?

Steve

Have got a Tiny-Pic and a photobucket account but never really use them now as most of my photo's go on FB. Used to use them for forums and to upload on here but that is now much easier do take them straight "out of the box" so to speak. Too much crap with photo bucket nowadays

Social source share

1 hour ago, soulandy said:

Have got a Tiny-Pic and a photobucket account but never really use them now as most of my photo's go on FB. Used to use them for forums and to upload on here but that is now much easier do take them straight "out of the box" so to speak. Too much crap with photo bucket nowadays

Andy. I'm not on Facebook yet. But there's so many FB groups in the northwest dedicated to birds and wildlife that aren't on any other places that it seems increasingly inevitable that I will have to join. 

Loving your posts from your upland wandering.

Steve

Social source share

8 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Still got my Flickr account, although I moved from there to Ipernity around 2011. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rigilbert/

That said, my Ipernity subscription expired last year and I've not bothered to renew it because I think it's too expensive for what it is, and there's a strong likelihood that the site will fold very soon.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/rigilbert?view=1

Russell. Just had a look, there's some great pictures there.

Steve

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell. Just had a look, there's some great pictures there.

Steve

Cheers, Steve. Kind of you to say so. I've often thought about making my own website to display my better photos, rather than use places like Flickr and Ipernity. All these photo-sharing sites seem to succumb to internal politics after a while, or you find that other members lose interest in commenting and liking the pics of others. Not sure exactly why that should be, but I've seen it happen with both those sites. 

Flickr, in particular, had so many thematic groups with "laws" associated with them – post one pic, like and comment on five others, put your hands in the air, just like "Simon says" – that it was all too much. Whenever people get together, it seems some always want to make terms and conditions for being a part of the group. I couldn't be bothered with all that pecking order stuff, so I went to Ipernity. 

Sadly, though, Ipernity is a loss-making site and is sure to go under. That's unless the recently-formed rescue team of members can save the day, but – if they can save the site – they're talking about introducing a 50 euro annual annual fee. No thank you!

Where then to display your photos to a like-minded audience? Perhaps oddly, in many respects it actually seems the best place is here!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Cheers, Steve. Kind of you to say so. I've often thought about making my own website to display my better photos, rather than use places like Flickr and Ipernity. All these photo-sharing sites seem to succumb to internal politics after a while, or you find that other members lose interest in commenting and liking the pics of others. Not sure exactly why that should be, but I've seen it happen with both those sites. 

Flickr, in particular, had so many thematic groups with "laws" associated with them – post one pic, like and comment on five others, put your hands in the air, just like "Simon says" – that it was all too much. Whenever people get together, it seems some always want to make terms and conditions for being a part of the group. I couldn't be bothered with all that pecking order stuff, so I went to Ipernity. 

Sadly, though, Ipernity is a loss-making site and is sure to go under. That's unless the recently-formed rescue team of members can save the day, but – if they can save the site – they're talking about introducing a 50 euro annual annual fee. No thank you!

Where then to display your photos to a like-minded audience? Perhaps oddly, in many respects it actually seems the best place is here!

i have no idea if there is any sort of fee involved or precisely what the make up is but 500px seems to be used by a lot of people ?

On a slightly connected theme, do people who display photos watermark/copyright them ? Apparently photoshop can remove watermarks in seconds (or so I've read) Not that I think that i have much/anything that people may want to "steal" but what other options are there to protect your pics ?   

Social source share

14 minutes ago, SHSDave said:

i have no idea if there is any sort of fee involved or precisely what the make up is but 500px seems to be used by a lot of people ?

On a slightly connected theme, do people who display photos watermark/copyright them ? Apparently photoshop can remove watermarks in seconds (or so I've read) Not that I think that i have much/anything that people may want to "steal" but what other options are there to protect your pics ?   

Thanks, Not heard of 500px before - will take a look. :thumbsup:

Lots of people on image sites do add either watermarks or "signatures" to their photos. Adding your name somewhere on the perimeter of an image means it can easily be cropped out. Getting rid of watermarks (Digimarc) is a much harder thing to do. Photoshop can't get rid of them with a click as the watermarks are part of the actual image itself, meaning you'd have to use Photoshop's editing tools to remove and alter the image bit by bit, which is very time consuming - especially if you make your watermarks quite obvious.

People also embed their copyright and contact details into the metadata of images. All photos taken with a digital device contains EXIF data, which includes stuff like camera setting, even geographical location if you're inclined. And most photo viewing/editing software allows users to add info such as your name/contact details to that.

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Thanks, Not heard of 500px before - will take a look. :thumbsup:

Lots of people on image sites do add either watermarks or "signatures" to their photos. Adding your name somewhere on the perimeter of an image means it can easily be cropped out. Getting rid of watermarks (Digimarc) is a much harder thing to do. Photoshop can't get rid of them with a click as the watermarks are part of the actual image itself, meaning you'd have to use Photoshop's editing tools to remove and alter the image bit by bit, which is very time consuming - especially if you make your watermarks quite obvious.

People also embed their copyright and contact details into the metadata of images. All photos taken with a digital device contains EXIF data, which includes stuff like camera setting, even geographical location if you're inclined. And most photo viewing/editing software allows users to add info such as your name/contact details to that.

Ok i don't use photoshop so wouldn't know how quickly a signature could be removed, it's only what i'd read although if it was worthwhile I guess "bandits" wouldn't worry about how long it took ?

Ah yes of course the EXIF data, I have my name in there as copyright.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Social source share

47 minutes ago, SHSDave said:

Ok i don't use photoshop so wouldn't know how quickly a signature could be removed, it's only what i'd read although if it was worthwhile I guess "bandits" wouldn't worry about how long it took ?

Ah yes of course the EXIF data, I have my name in there as copyright.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

You're welcome.

It used to be the case that you could get rid of EXIF data simply by using Photoshop's "save for web" feature, which reduces the resolution (and quality) so that becomes a smaller file and thus is quicker to load online. I've no idea if that still works.

If people are serious about protecting their images then both watermarking them and adding EXIF info about copyright is absolutely the best option. Sadly, too many uninformed people believe that any/every image they find online is "public domain" and thus free for them to use, which of course is not true. :no:

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

You're welcome.

It used to be the case that you could get rid of EXIF data simply by using Photoshop's "save for web" feature, which reduces the resolution (and quality) so that becomes a smaller file and thus is quicker to load online. I've no idea if that still works.

If people are serious about protecting their images then both watermarking them and adding EXIF info about copyright is absolutely the best option. Sadly, too many uninformed people believe that any/every image they find online is "public domain" and thus free for them to use, which of course is not true. :no:

I just bought a copyrighted photograph from the states - all to do with my interest in black american civil rights, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, you would not believe the rigmarole - it took weeks of me giving assurance after personal assurance, as to who I was, my interest in the photograph, where I lived, what I was going to do with it.............................................

It finally arrived yesterday and has gone off to be framed.

Peter

:thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

20 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. I'm not on Facebook yet. But there's so many FB groups in the northwest dedicated to birds and wildlife that aren't on any other places that it seems increasingly inevitable that I will have to join. 

Loving your posts from your upland wandering.

Steve

I think there's too many groups on FB full stop. Some are very good and quite relaxed and some have more rules, do's and don'ts that you can shake a stick at :sleep3:

Glad you like my wanderings :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, soulandy said:

First wasp of the year buzzing round the room where I was working today.

A couple of pigeons trying to keep warm and dry in yesterday's rain while keeping their beady eye's on me :-)

20170306_104559.jpg

P1010268.JPG

I happened to see my first Bumble Bee of the year today, seeing the Queen wasp picture reminded me

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

I just bought a copyrighted photograph from the states - all to do with my interest in black american civil rights, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, you would not believe the rigmarole - it took weeks of me giving assurance after personal assurance, as to who I was, my interest in the photograph, where I lived, what I was going to do with it.............................................

It finally arrived yesterday and has gone off to be framed.

Peter

:thumbup:

Well done. If it took that much hassle, it must have been worth it for you. But... why all the copyright fuss over the sale of an old print? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, SHSDave said:

Dave. . All my pictures are copyrighted and have exif data embedded. As previously mentioned its easy to crop out a name unless it's across the important part of the picture, which spoils it somewhat. 

Steve

Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. . All my pictures are copyrighted and have exif data embedded. As previously mentioned its easy to crop out a name unless it's across the important part of the picture, which spoils it somewhat. 

Steve

Thanks Steve, I don't know if I've got this right or not. When I right click on a photo, go into properties, details & then in origin it's got author - My name

Date taken etc & at the bottom Copyright - My name. Is there anything else we  can add anywhere or is that it ?

Many Thanks

Dave

Social source share

19 hours ago, SHSDave said:

Thanks Steve, I don't know if I've got this right or not. When I right click on a photo, go into properties, details & then in origin it's got author - My name

Date taken etc & at the bottom Copyright - My name. Is there anything else we  can add anywhere or is that it ?

Many Thanks

Dave

Dave I,m not sure about adding anything else. But I,m sure the clever guys and girls on here will know ? over to you lot.

steve

Social source share

23 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Well done. If it took that much hassle, it must have been worth it for you. But... why all the copyright fuss over the sale of an old print? 

I've no idea Russ. Whether it had something to do with the subject matter - a photograph of 17 year old Black Panthers member and treasurer, stood outside a bank with a rifle. He was shot twelve times by the police some time later - even though he had his hands on his head. 

He has a soul legend name sake - Bobby Hutton! 

A quick google and you'll find the picture on line. I think it's very powerful in lots of different ways. 

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I've no idea Russ. Whether it had something to do with the subject matter - a photograph of 17 year old Black Panthers member and treasurer, stood outside a bank with a rifle. He was shot twelve times by the police some time later - even though he had his hands on his head. 

He has a soul legend name sake - Bobby Hutton! 

A quick google and you'll find the picture on line. I think it's very powerful in lots of different ways. 

Yup, very easy to find on Google, and used in loads of places online, including Wikipedia. No idea why you should have had such difficulty in obtaining it at all - unless the print belonged to a family member of Hutton or the photographer and they felt the need to protect or be reassured about how you might use it (which you said).

Social source share

As there's always interest in these threads on the arrivals of swifts, swallows and martins, I thought folk here might like to know that a friend on Facebook posted up pics this evening of the first swallows of the year on the Greek island of Lesvos.

It might be a bit premature yet, but summer's coming! :thumbup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Russell Gilbert said:

As there's always interest in these threads on the arrivals of swifts, swallows and martins, I thought folk here might like to know that a friend on Facebook posted up pics this evening of the first swallows of the year on the Greek island of Lesvos.

It might be a bit premature yet, but summer's coming! :thumbup:

Russell. That's fantastic news. Swallows back in Europe. My first sighting last year was March 27 th. Which incidentally was my earliest ever sighting.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell. That's fantastic news. Swallows back in Europe. My first sighting last year was March 27 th. Which incidentally was my earliest ever sighting.

Steve

Looking forwards to hearing the swallows and swifts calling in flight. Daffodils are up, snowdrops, blue bells we've got through another cold, dark winter. The yellow rape seed fields will be with us very shortly - I've seen some yellow already on my rural drive to Loughborough for work each day. Won't be long either till my favourite tree - the horse chestnut, treats us with its candelabra type blooms.

I can hear the canal from my garden too - its starting to hear like spring over there too - ducks, coots, moorhens, swans etc are all starting to their courting songs. Lovely.

Peter

• Helpful 3
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve

Wonder if you'll get an earlier sighting than that this year. I have a feeling you might as it's been such a mild winter and spring has well and truly sprung already.

Mind you, if I were a swallow, I'd stop in Lesvos for the year where it's nice and sunny. Being mere humans, all we get are three weeks there a year! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Looking forwards to hearing the swallows and swifts calling in flight. Daffodils are up, snowdrops, blue bells we've got through another cold, dark winter. The yellow rape seed fields will be with us very shortly - I've seen some yellow already on my rural drive to Loughborough for work each day. Won't be long either till my favourite tree - the horse chestnut, treats us with its candelabra type blooms.

I can hear the canal from my garden too - its starting to hear like spring over there too - ducks, coots, moorhens, swans etc are all starting to their courting songs. Lovely.

Peter

Very evocative, Peter. Looking forward to summer even more now after that. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Very evocative, Peter. Looking forward to summer even more now after that. :thumbsup:

Thanks Russ

I'm going to try and step out of my hermit/recluse existence a bit this year and maybe even aim to have a holiday - I haven't had one for 11 years. If I manage it I will be going to your Greek island - your photos and posts have made it my number one choice. Thank you. 

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Thanks Russ

I'm going to try and step out of my hermit/recluse existence a bit this year and maybe even aim to have a holiday - I haven't had one for 11 years. If I manage it I will be going to your Greek island - your photos and posts have made it my number one choice. Thank you. 

Peter

:hatsoff2:

It's a truly wonderful place - a time capsule of Old Greece. It offers bugger all to do in the way of contrived entertainments, which is great. Want to get away from it all and relax, in a traditional setting, with the most splendid food and the warmest, most genuine people it's ever been my pleasure to meet, then Lesvos - and the fabulously picturesque village of Molyvos in particular – are where it's at. 

We'll be there again mid-June through to early July - staying in a local and very basic apartment (no fancy hotels here, but it is marble floored for coolness) owned by a wife and husband in their very late-70s. I say wife and husband in that order because the man is a right lazy sod, and she, in her old age, still wields a hoe like a demon every day in their well-tended, twice-a-day-watered vegetable plots, which we overlook from the basic, but serene comfort of our balcony. Oh, and neither of them speaks anything other than Greek! 

Peter, if/when you go, I can hook you up/recommend so many things – and it would be my absolute pleasure to do so.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I saw swallows just over a week ago in southern Spain, slowly heading north, I think these ones go to France rather that the UK, the British ones fly over Portugal and up, but it's a good sign.  

I've almost got a yearning to go back to the Greek islands now, the last time I went to Crete and thoroughly enjoyed it, though I prefer the smaller, more intimate islands like Serifos, Sifnos, Naxos and Paros.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On 09/03/2017 at 21:55, Winsford Soul said:

Steve

My office in Chester is in a converted barn and they come back every year. I will keep you posted with the date

Almost without fail when it's warm we have the door open and one flies in. Always makes me smile when they have found their way hundreds of miles back to where they were born, but can't find their way out of a building that they've been in for  5 minutes. We have to pull all the blinds down and switch all the lights off so that the only source of light is the door they came in :-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, baz1 said:

Spring is here:thumbup: 

IMG_20170312_095439.jpg

Lovely Garden.

You're just the person to help me identify my hedge. It's in flower now and will be full of fruit in the summer. They're like small plums, that start green then turn yellow, then reddish. Some say they are quince, but not sure about that.  I'll put up some photos of the fruit when it appears.

Thanks Kev

20170312_153650.jpg

20170312_153643.jpg

• Helpful 2
Social source share