SOUL SOURCE RECORD CLUB 2017-Keeps On Keeping On

Kev John

29 minutes ago, Kev John said:

Hope you guy's have had a great Xmas & New Year 

Mike has asked a regular of SSRC to put up a new thread for this year so i'd thought i would start this years 

I'll try & keep the rules of thread simple

NO putting records up for sale through this thread 

Only post records that you own  thanks :wink:

We do like all aspects of the soul scene so just go for it has they say :)

So here's my 1st of the year 

Great modern track 7" W/D here 

Hiroshima - Never Ever - Arista

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Well done Kev

A bit of leadership! I was going to do it but didn't want to step on Dave's toes! :rolleyes:

Nice track. Happy New Year mate.

Pete

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Might get scolded for posting this. :huh:  

I dont care! I've always loved this record since I began my personal journey into soul music. It's beautiful and so is the video in so many ways.

Pete

Love this & the full LP :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Andy Austin said:

First ever attempt at posting anything on here but thought I'd give it a go.

This arrived on the 31st of Dec, pink promotional copy in Ex condition for under a tenner inc. postage.

Nice mid tempo RnB No. 

I have no idea if it's well known or not but I like it so it is now sitting in my record collection.

Happy new year to all btw.

Andy

Andy

Yes been played over the years,brilliant double-sider with "You Caught Me Napping" on the other side which has also had the old play.Both great sides with "No Cure...." just sneaking it for me :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just reading an old Soul Up North & Steve Plumb reviewed Wendy Woods-Don't Hurt Me No More Sincere which I posted ages back but he was mainly ranting & raving about the lesser known side "Do It Now".Thought can't say I've played that so give a listen & what a cracker,maybe not as good a dancer as the top side but still hits the spot for me.

Wendy Woods - Do It Now Sincere

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

1 minute ago, Patto said:

Another classic old skool stomper from Mr Parrish.Always owned Determination but only recently got round to adding Tell Her to the box.

Patto

Always loved "Determination" but never been keen on this,don't know why really?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Just now, hullsoul said:

Patto

Always loved "Determination" but never been keen on this,don't know why really?

Cheers

Martyn

Determination my fave as well Martyn,but a couple of years back remember seeing two dancers giving it big licks to Tell her and it made me think what a thumper it must have been at the early days nighters when everyone could Hack the tempo. :thumbup:.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

10 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Another one I had for donkeys' years. I used to frequent an 'Alternative night' where they played everything from Sisters of Mercy to Glenn Miller, my Gothic band used to play there. Bought a box of 45s from a girl, mostly Talking Heads, Grace Jones and stuff, this was in it. Never bothered putting it in my Northern soul box as never considered it to be NS. Nowadays it's a staple at every event I attend. Times change I guess and Northern soul turned into something I don't recognise, I truly like the record but... Bobby Garrett it isn't...

Yep, it's no soul record for sure. But, its probably one of the best dance tracks that's ever been played on the northern scene. Still sounds great today and I suspect it still rams the floor. I think it's great. 

Pete 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Yep, it's no soul record for sure. But, its probably one of the best dance tracks that's ever been played on the northern scene. Still sounds great today and I suspect it still rams the floor. I think it's great. 

Pete 

You're suspicion would be bang on Peter yeah it rams the floor right out. I like it but as I said Bobby Garrett it isn't!

Is northern soul as we northerners see it finished? I think it is, it changed into something else, which might be just as good, just different. I do like the record and the girls do kung fu kicks in the breaks, not that I look at their pants but...you do see them. Mind you unlike the Rock n Roll crowd my band plays to, they don't wear the black stockings and suspenders. Still can't have it all eh?

All the best Peter.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

You're suspicion would be bang on Peter yeah it rams the floor right out. I like it but as I said Bobby Garrett it isn't!

Is northern soul as we northerners see it finished? I think it is, it changed into something else, which might be just as good, just different. I do like the record and the girls do kung fu kicks in the breaks, not that I look at their pants but...you do see them. Mind you unlike the Rock n Roll crowd my band plays to, they don't wear the black stockings and suspenders. Still can't have it all eh?

All the best Peter.

I've never really been a die hard "northern" fan mate. Didn't like all the shitty pop stuff, instrumentals and hundred mile an hour shite. I like my music soulful. Of course lots of great soul music was and is still played on the "northern" scene. But yes things are different today. If that all makes sense. 

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I've never really been a die hard "northern" fan mate. Didn't like all the shitty pop stuff, instrumentals and hundred mile an hour shite. I like my music soulful. Of course lots of great soul music was and is still played on the "northern" scene. But yes things are different today. If that all makes sense. 

Oh... I was brought up on spoonfuls of pink fluid and 100mph records 

Here we go then, it's really in vogue at the moment and I've heard it fetches 200 quid, to me it's 'La Bamba' without the great Ritchie Valens, Tony Gallow and the shortmen.

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Oh... I was brought up on spoonfuls of pink fluid and 100mph records 

Here we go then, it's really in vogue at the moment and I've heard it fetches 200 quid, to me it's 'La Bamba' without the great Ritchie Valens, Tony Gallow and the shortmen.

Great vid and Sir Dickie introducing the record. I get the La Bamba comparison. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Pete 

yep still a great floor filler .I love it full on hundred miles a hour NORTHERN  SOUL as it should be  :P

• Helpful 3
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

HNY to all - following on from the earlier Laura Lee post, here's my absolute favourite LL track, Since I fell for you (Hot Wax). A bit left field but man what a tune - 10 out of 10 on the old soul-ometer for me :thumbup:

Chris

Happy New Year young un.

Needs the first 2 mins queuing out then you get the full effect of her vocals..........nearly got bored before she kicked in :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

1 hour ago, hullsoul said:

Chris

Happy New Year young un.

Needs the first 2 mins queuing out then you get the full effect of her vocals..........nearly got bored before she kicked in :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn, same to you :thumbsup:

Best appreciated with headphones and a cold beer - first two minutes essential though, set the scene before it all goes off. Not usually a fan of 'rapping' but when she says 'and my heart got in the way of my mind'......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The 2017 thread has got off to a stonking start.Dont panic i said Stonking not Stomping :wicked:.

Next up from me another Northern Anthem that seems to have been left on the shelf in recent times even at oldies events.This one took me a while to find an original, one of those thats harder to find than people might think.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mick Sway said:

James Gadson Got to find my baby Cream

Quality crossover on a budget.

Shame there's not a vid of sufficient quality, on youtube to do it justice.

Never heard that Mick. Nice one.

Just lacking a bit of "soul" depth on the vocal and backing. As you say might be better with a decent sound file.

Pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, chalky said:

It's Guy introducing the record.

It's also Gallo and the Showmen not Short :D

La bamba is frantic....I don't get the comparison?

Hi, I think you're right, it is 'Showmen', I never actually saw the c/u just always thought they said 'shortmen'.

The tune is basically Ritchie Valens old tune, well not basically it is fully that tune but that's no biggie, loads of tunes are the same, 'Twist and shout' is also 'La Bamba' as is 7th Avenue Aviators 'You should o' held on'.

It's all good, I used to dislike intensely any record that used the Ritchie Valens tune, but tbh I quite like them nowadays, although I much prefer Tommy Navarro to 7th Avenue aviators, but hey in the scheme of things they are all ok. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!