Articles: Best Soul Books of 2016

Would agree with all the choices above regards quality, can recommend them all and most of them have have been best sellers at A Nickel And A Nail. Quality material out in 2016 indeed. It doesn't stop there either, and I've got some more in the offing for 2017, including something up my own sleeve...

Mark.

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree with ThinkSmart - Keith Rylatt's  Hitsville ! The Birth of Tamla Motown is a fantastic record of never before seen photos from Clive Stone's estate and the work of Dave Godin and the Tamla Motown Appreciation Society working in the UK in conjunction with Berry Gordy's in his efforts and desire to break Motown into the UK market.

Published by Modus The House of Soul and available from their website www.house-of-soul.co.uk

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes the Stuart Cosgrove book was very good I thought.  I haven't read it but Gethro Jones' 'They Danced All Night' was also published last year.

In a different way, the Dave Rimmer Rare Soul Bible reissued books were invaluable too.

Checking my shelf I also got the 'Motown - Sound of Young America' by Adam White in 2016 as a new book.  It was a lavish book that while great had odd omissions.  Some major artists are not featured at all while others get too much attention.  Still, a great book that is excellent to dip into.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thought Spinnin Around by John Lias was a great read and essential for reference purposes.

Half way through Steve Guarnori's Scepter Wand book and it's fascinating stuff , jeez you need your wits about you in the record business , another essential buy.

Enjoyed both Gethro Jones and Stuart Cosgroves coming of age on the allnighter scene books and will certainly reread them soon.

Must pick up a copy of Keith Rylatt's book.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I liked Manship's seventh edition but had to buy a coffee table to put it on. Quite enjoyed Jethro's book and would recommend it. Mightily impressed by Dave Moore's Philadelphia volume, but so far, have just dipped into it. Got Stuart Cosgroves book for Christmas and am looking forward to reading it cover-to-cover. After listening to good soul records, the next best thing is reading about good soul records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just finished  They danced all night by Gethro jones .A very honest & incredibly open recount of his childhood & way of life .As I have known Jethro

since a teenager I did not know any of his back ground .not something you verbal about  at nighters  .The detail he has gone to is very revealing  ,good to read at last a story that I can relate to & say " that's exactly what it was  like . Not often I am impressed with stories told by people on the scene but the facts & records where well placed in the storyline .A great read its the best I've read about our scene . Cracking dancer as well .:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I haven't read Dave Moore's Philly book or Steve G's Scepter book yet (dipped into both), both superbly done and worthy of book of the year...

Of the books I have read both of Stuart Cosgrove's are the best of 2016 for me, Detroit '67 and Young Soul Rebels, two fabulous but very different accounts of the music that has lit up our lives.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

I haven't read Dave Moore's Philly book or Steve G's Scepter book yet (dipped into both), both superbly done and worthy of book of the year...

Of the books I have read both of Stuart Cosgrove's are the best of 2016 for me, Detroit '67 and Young Soul Rebels, two fabulous but very different accounts of the music that has lit up our lives.

Detroit '67 was superb. I learnt a lot of new things musically and also found the description of how the whole political and social climate was at that time in Detroit really interesting.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

and of course...

all are most welcome to make use of this sites news and articles features to let other members know whats up and about

just look right and up (if on the article page) and hit that 'submit news' link (members only of... course)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...

My two choice: Detroit '67 (maybe first issue was in 2015...don't remember...but I read it in 2016 durin' my honeymoon :lol:). Really enjoyable and well balanced between history and biopic. Then I pick Dave Moore and Jason Thornton's Philly guide, a holy bible of philly soul, top book also for the full coloured images on glossy paper. A goldmine of informations!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!