Tavares and Freda Payne

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

Hi This is one that I don;t know if it was a hit or not or an obscurity...? I have only ever seen it on a UK demo. Sounds like a n absolute monster.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I wonder if people pass this over because its Tavares and just think its a common or cheap record..?

Believe me, it's not.  It never turns up and once those copies on discogs / ebay are gone they're gone

Social source share

5 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Didn't know this and loved it first play, thanks - just picked one up on discogs for a couple of quid, proper bargain :thumbsup:

Same here, grabbed a copy from my Pals at discogs, must strike while the iron is hot! :thumbup:  :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

Guest son of stan
1 hour ago, redditchcrew said:

:ohmy:  not a wonder its been given a miss its cheap for the reason its boring :sleep3:

Thanks for your positivity, cloth ears.

Social source share

I think it was Ian Dewhirst who mentioned this in a post on SS a few years ago. I'd not heard it but loved it and bought a copy, nice and cheap. I've played it out, at the MonuMental Soul weekender and other places, always popular. But there will be some who will decry it as "disco". And of course it being cheap doesn't help either.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Anyone know if it ever came out on US 7 at all? Or came out on UK issue?

Quick image search only shows the UK promo and what looks like a Euro one. Can't say I have done extensive investigations but always had a hunch for some reason, that this one wasn't properly released / fell through the cracks for some reason.. Sounds like a club and possible chart hit but seems obscure given the artists involved and its obvious quality and appeal to either market.

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

Thanks for posting this.... I purchased a copy straight away after hearing it as it's right up my street.... I didn't realise I already knew the track, but as a Tavares only version with no Freda Payne vocal... Such a great track, and for the record I love Disco!!!!

Social source share

On January 8, 2017 at 19:47, son of stan said:

Quick image search only shows the UK promo and what looks like a Euro one. Can't say I have done extensive investigations but always had a hunch for some reason, that this one wasn't properly released / fell through the cracks for some reason.. Sounds like a club and possible chart hit but seems obscure given the artists involved and its obvious quality and appeal to either market.

I wondered the same as my copy is also a demo, so I had a dig around. It appears that it was a UK only release (or UK and Netherlands to be accurate). Released around October 1977 when it first showed up in the Blues & Soul chart. The UK release of the Best of Tavares LP has this track on it but the US release does not.

While digging around I also discovered that Tavares had recorded a version of Strangers In Dark Corners, one of my favourite Johnny Bristol tracks. You never know what you'll turn up!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Just now, harrogatesoul said:

Tavares suffer in the eyes and ears of many because they happened to have some success! God forbid! SOUL collectors know different. Some fantastic tracks mentioned. I'd add 'I Hope She Chooses Me' 'Watchin The woman's Movement' Great soul and cheap as chips. 

God forbid! SOUL collectors know different

Nail on the head, well said Richie

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

I actually consider the 12-inch version of Heavem Must Be Missing an Angel to be a dance floor masterpeiece. Sometimes a band are popular for a reason..... They're actually VERY good....

Social source share

On 1/9/2017 at 11:47, son of stan said:

If,   as appears to be the case,   the record was only issued in the UK  and Europe,  it is more than likely  because it was released to promote the  "The Best of Tavares LP"  that you can see on the scan of the 7" in the first post on this thread.

The track "I Wanna See You You Soon" only appeared in the UK & European versions of the LP ,  not in the US release of the LP.

Plus the fact that both acts  were more popular in the UK & Europe than they were in their own country made even more sense for the company to release a duet single like that and look to get a  chart hit in the UK ...

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!