the Vows on VIP

Tlscapital

Does anyone know the "hidden" story about this odd from the odd Motown release ? The initial 'A' side 'buttered pop-corn' (Supremes also release that) sounds rather like an old à la Contours recording. It first got release as a single sided promotional copy in 1965 !? Why that and then ?

Then the "commercial" edition got filled-in with 'tell me'. A loose tape ? With Morris Chestnut on lead vocal that at least sounds like it could be recorded in 1965 !

Almost all stocker copies seems to have sold poorly since most copies we encounter have drilled holes and those without often have a stamp to show the "pushing" side the 'tell me' as they were used for promotion purpose.

Fantastic tune 'tell me' IMHO but the Vows, a band ? Really ?!

Capture d’écran 2017-01-06 à 08.36.54.png Capture d’écran 2017-01-06 à 08.37.13.png

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

49 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

Does anyone know the "hidden" story about this odd from the odd Motown release ? The initial 'A' side 'buttered pop-corn' (Supremes also release that) sounds rather like an old à la Contours recording. It first got release as a single sided promotional copy in 1965 !? Why that and then ?

Then the "commercial" edition got filled-in with 'tell me'. A loose tape ? With Morris Chestnut on lead vocal that at least sounds like it could be recorded in 1965 !

Almost all stocker copies seems to have sold poorly since most copies we encounter have drilled holes and those without often have a stamp to show the "pushing" side the 'tell me' as they were used for promotion purpose.

Fantastic records but the Vows, a band ? Really ?!

Capture d’écran 2017-01-06 à 08.36.54.png Capture d’écran 2017-01-06 à 08.37.13.png

What I don't understand why both these songs were released, and "My Baby Changes Like The Weather" was not.   "Buttered Popcorn"/"Tell Me" didn't sell because it got no marketing push from Motown, and no air play.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The man I was expecting here. Thanks Robb. I do love 'tell me' though. But what puzzles me is the brainwork put on it from an executive at Motown to name what is most likely two different group recorded 4 years appart when music growth pace was faster than ever before... As to why I began that quest; a storytelling would have been interesting as it would then have brought some light as to why, what and who were in those studio sessions.

Social source share

Hi both,

I thought....( at least this is what i have written down from somewhere), Tell Me? was meant for the Versatiles, later to become better known – after leaving Motown – as the 5th Dimension), but their version remains in the vaults. Marc Gordon co-writer of Tell Me was the manager of the 5th Dimension.

Hope i've not sent you down a rat-hole!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Kenb said:

Hi both,

I thought....( at least this is what i have written down from somewhere), Tell Me? was meant for the Versatiles, later to become better known – after leaving Motown – as the 5th Dimension), but their version remains in the vaults. Marc Gordon co-writer of Tell Me was the manager of the 5th Dimension.

Hope i've not sent you down a rat-hole!

Thanks for that ! Interesting quote.

Social source share

10 hours ago, tlscapital said:

The man I was expecting here. Thanks Robb. I do love 'tell me' though. But what puzzles me is the brainwork put on it from an executive at Motown to name what is most likely two different group recorded 4 years appart when music growth pace was faster than ever before... As to why I began that quest; a storytelling would have been interesting as it would then have brought some light as to why, what and who were in those studio sessions.

The way I understood it was that The Vows had been brought in by Hal Davis (and Marc Gordon and Frank Wilson) to sing backgrounds and record demo tapes for eventual Motown artists to sing the songs for Jobete Music's L.A. office, just as The Holloway sisters, Gloria Jones, Mary Love, Sandy Wynns, Pat Hunt, and Jeanne King were. They would also record the songs (tapes and acetates) for Jobete Music's proof of ownership. The Vows had worked with Davis before.  Their Tamara record was produced by him.  The "Buttered Popcorn" side probably was an earlier recording (maybe 1963?).  But, Jobete Music L.A. office started in 1963.  I think Morris Chestnut first sang with The Vows in 1965.  Yes, Marc Gordon brought in his Versatiles as well.  They may also have sung some demos.  I think that all the VIP records released other than those by The Elgins, Monitors and Velvelettes were just "favours" thrown towards artists to keep them from grumbling, and were never intended to sell.  Berry Gordy needed Jobete Music L.A. to write songs and make demo tapes, and its producers to be available to produce the odd recordings on Detroit artists in L.A. once in a while.  But, they didn't need Davis and Co. to be a hit-producing factory for L.A. artists.

The Vows before Morris Chestnut joined were Morris' cousin, Ralph Chestnut, Helene Simpson, James Moore, and either Bobby Sullivan or Joe Lawson.  Simpson and Morris were not with the Vows on the "Buttered Popcorn" recording, and probably not on "Tell Me".  But Morris led on "My Baby Changes Like The Weather". He was with them starting in early 1965.  I don't think he was a full member of their group in 1964, while they were doing demos for Jobete, but when Hal Davis also placed their "That's What You Do To Me"/"Dottie" with L.A.'s local Tamara Records, after Jobete Music turned those songs down.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

According to "The Complete Motown Singles- Volume 5-1965, the Vows also had a 1962 single on the Markay label- "I Wanna Chance"/ "Have

You Heard". The lineup on that single was James Moore, Helen Simpson, Ralph Chestnut and  2 group members remembered as Ted and Little

Johnny. 

The group on "Tell Me" and "Buttered Popcorn" had James Moore, Bobby Solomon and Joe Lawson.  The group's membership is described

as "fluid" so they weren't sure who the other members were on the V.I.P. single. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!