Sherrell bros current price

1 hour ago, mikeysoul said:

I am sure mine (sadly gone) came from an Anglo American front page focus @ £15 - would say between 2000 - 2005?? So likely to have had a small quantity at that time.

you are right as i left one in beating rhythm quite a few years ago it was £10.00 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, corbett80 said:

Amazing how much this has gone up in price over a relatively short period of time. Especially for a record that seems to be total marmite (I love it btw).

I thought it would come down from £300 odd once the buzz had died down but it's jst carried on going up and up. 

Rickey Hodges Deep is another one. I was amazed to see how expensive that is now.

Social source share

On 13/01/2017 at 13:56, mark b said:

you are right as i left one in beating rhythm quite a few years ago it was £10.00 

They had about 10 copies, I bought one about 12 years ago from there and sold it for £350 12 months ago.

I actually posted it on Youtube and one of the band members niece's contacted to me to thank me for sharing it.

Social source share

1 hour ago, garethx said:

To state that it's "not a rare record" is a mistake. Yes it was around at a few dealers twenty years ago (my own copy was from Tim Brown) but those copies have long since dried up. Sold mine a little over ten years ago for three figures as they were all in the hands of collectors rather than dealers even back then.

I'd estimate no more than a couple of hundred copies in total circulation. In 2017 with worldwide interest in this type of sound (small label, private press vintage Black music) that qualifies it as a rarity. Certainly far fewer ever available than things like Jack Montgomery on Scepter, Sam Fletcher on Tollie, Bobby Williams on Sure Shot or Shirley Lawson on Back Beat.

Food for thought.

I suppose its really how you define rare. Is 200 copies rare or relatively common ? I'd say that in comparison to many rare records its quite common. I agree the so called rarities that crop up every few weeks on RCA, Scepter etc are not rare. I've made this point on here before and upset a few. The fact that most copies are in the hands of collectors does not mean its rare - just unavailable. Yes there is significant interest in such items, but again is it not confusing demand and rarity ?

There is also another factor and that is the 'cheque book Charlie's' who must have every record immediately at whatever cost, irrespective of the history and background of the 45. On the flip side there are those who are prepared to take advantage of this situation. Call it naivety, or lack of knowledge - I'll leave that up to others to decide, but if I was buying a record and it was a front page focus for many dealers readily available at £5 some years ago, I'd really ask myself why I would pay £900 for it now.

Edited by Andy Mac
spelling
Social source share

200 copies is not relatively common. It's rare. Didn't John Manship state on here once that he had something like 19,000 regular worldwide customers? I wouldn't rule myself out of paying a relatively large sum for a record that I really wanted just because it was 'once cheap'. Remember they all started life at 50¢ and below.

I wish I had bought a couple of copies of this record and kept one though as I still think it's a really individual-sounding and accomplished piece of soul music.

The point about records like the Sherrell Brothers is that the original distribution was so poor that when copies were initially found they tended to be concentrated in a couple of locations. It wasn't distributed in the true sense of the word at all. The likelihood of finding quantity like that again is slim.

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, garethx said:

200 copies is not relatively common. It's rare. Didn't John Manship state on here once that he had something like 19,000 regular worldwide customers? I wouldn't rule myself out of paying a relatively large sum for a record that I really wanted just because it was 'once cheap'. Remember they all started life at 50¢ and below.

I wish I had bought a couple of copies of this record and kept one though as I still think it's a really individual-sounding and accomplished piece of soul music.

The point about records like the Sherrell Brothers is that the original distribution was so poor that when copies were initially found they tended to be concentrated in a couple of locations. It wasn't distributed in the true sense of the word at all. The likelihood of finding quantity like that again is slim.

The key word I wrote here is "relatively" i.e. in comparison to records where there are only a handful of known copies. So if I have something rare with say 4 copies then something in the 200's is relatively common. My guess is that based on the fact that so many dealers had it around the same time with some doing a front page focus on it, there are probably more than that. No arguments its a nice record and yes most records were cheap and it may not be found in quantity again. My point is that the price has more to do with demand than rarity.

Social source share

In a nutshell..... Record with the artist hand stamped on rather than printed on the label... Poorly distributed non seller.. All found at the same time or maybe 2 different hits as it wouldnt have travelled very far... Distributed among the dealers... As you do...cheap but obscure record..... 20 years has passed in that time tho and its been at least 15 years since it was ' available in any quantity'.. All in collections it seems now.. No wonder its gone up.. Does come up now and again but well indemand... Not sure if i can justify a £900 price tag tho

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I too recall when there were plenty of copies around. I know I paid 10/15 quid for it after I read a review in, I think, Martyn Bradley's Soul Renaissance mag. Plenty of dealers had copies. However don't know how many they had. Stamped credits surely suggest a rather limited number of copies.

But what puzzles me is that there is such a demand for this record. Ok, it's nice. But certainly not a huge 3 figures sort of record IMO. Otherwise I would have kept my copy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!