Piano Intros

Guest Max Morrison

One of the greatest piano lead instrumentals for me has to be Phil Coulter, Good thing going and even though the orchestration kicks in at the same time as the piano is only a bonus :)

Social source share

9 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Everybody's probably heard the gospel piano intro from Sam Williams sampled on Crystal Waters' "Testify", or read the thread on here.  It's certainly up there as one of the all time great piano intros.  Plenty of other great piano intros.  Off the top of my head..

Our Love Will Grow - The Showmen

Cashing In - Voices of East Harlem

......but my all time favourite has got to be....

Strange Change - Herb Ward...

Belting tune :thumbsup: I'm with you 

anybody remember this from the 70s :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

It belongs a bit more on the Beach Music scene than the NS scene but I just love the piano on this track.

The intro., the little twirls and the instrumental break that kicks in at about 1:40.

Love it! :)

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Am I allowed to throw in a bit of (non soul) trivia.

In the intro to Get It On by T Rex there is approx. one second of piano. A glissando. And it is played by none other than Rick Wakeman. I heard him interviewed about it the other day. It was at a time when he was really broke and he was offered the chance of a studio session with T Rex. Bolan said just watch for me to nod and play a glissando. (As I said it lasts barely a second) That was it. Finito. He said he didn't want to take his fee but Bolan said "Look do you want to pay your rent? If so take it!"

That glissando is at approx 10 secs. No matter how short it does help to define the whole record! :)

Social source share

29 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

Am I allowed to throw in a bit of (non soul) trivia.

In the intro to Get It On by T Rex there is approx. one second of piano. A glissando. And it is played by none other than Rick Wakeman. I heard him interviewed about it the other day. It was at a time when he was really broke and he was offered the chance of a studio session with T Rex. Bolan said just watch for me to nod and play a glissando. (As I said it lasts barely a second) That was it. Finito. He said he didn't want to take his fee but Bolan said "Look do you want to pay your rent? If so take it!"

That glissando is at approx 10 secs. No matter how short it does help to define the whole record! :)

.Everyday is a school day on this site.  I now know what a glissando is, and your example is one of the best known in popular music.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

.Everyday is a school day on this site.  I now know what a glissando is, and your example is one of the best known in popular music.

I bet they cost a fortune in those cafes around St Marks Square in Rome.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I heard this version of Amy Stewart - "Friends" in a bar in Greece, back in 1984 I think?, and it took me years to track it down.

I was convinced it was Earl Klugh playing acoustic guitar at 2mins 50 secs and Ramsey Lewis playing the long piano break after it at 3mins 20 sec, so spent ages trying to source it without the use of internet, looking for a connection.

Then Robbie Vincent did me a favour and played it on his show and it turned out to be Mike Francis. Although having never seen any info on it I have no idea who the musicians are.

The best version of this by a country mile

Kev

Edited by stateside
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!