Piano Intros

For fans of ivory tinkling intro's everywhere,they don't come much better than this,has to be the long version though,ivories,strings and things..pure desert island,and when it comes,the vocal is to die for.The Chicago gangsters.

Social source share

On 19/01/2017 at 14:39, MBarrett said:

Am I allowed to throw in a bit of (non soul) trivia.

In the intro to Get It On by T Rex there is approx. one second of piano. A glissando. And it is played by none other than Rick Wakeman. I heard him interviewed about it the other day. It was at a time when he was really broke and he was offered the chance of a studio session with T Rex. Bolan said just watch for me to nod and play a glissando. (As I said it lasts barely a second) That was it. Finito. He said he didn't want to take his fee but Bolan said "Look do you want to pay your rent? If so take it!"

That glissando is at approx 10 secs. No matter how short it does help to define the whole record! :)

Wakeman plays piano right through the track , there's barely a let-up although it probably didn't tax him too much. I'm biased admittedly  but it's one of the greatest ever British pop/rock songs.  Elton John mimed at the piano for the TOTP Christmas show and he's more or less doing what RW would have played.  Interesting pedigree on that track with Wakeman on keyboards and Ian MacDonald (King Crimson ) playing sax. Also Bolan's mainstay backing singers at that time Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan (ex-Turtles).  Both these two contributed greatly to the early 70s T.Rex  sound.

Back on topic - anyone mentioned Gerri Granger, I Go To Pieces?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett
5 hours ago, maslar said:

Wakeman plays piano right through the track , there's barely a let-up although it probably didn't tax him too much.

Nothing changes does it! :)

Here is the programme that includes the interview.

The RW feature starts at 01:05:00 and they start talking about Get It On shortly after 01:16:00

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087sq9k

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!