What Does It Take?

Guest Brian Ellis

Guest Brian Ellis

After having a discussion with Sam at Broughton on Saturday night about the better version of the Junior Walker classic, thought I'd ask others what they think.

Which do you think is the better cover - The Electrifying Cashmeres or The Bay Brothers?

I know that The Bay Brothers is the rarer, but personally I think The Electrifying Cashmeres is the more soulful; Sam disagrees! I have both so not a case of 'pushing' for the one I own.

Like to know others' thoughts.

Brian

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

After having a discussion with Sam at Broughton on Saturday night about the better version of the Junior Walker classic, thought I'd ask others what they think.

Which do you think is the better cover - The Electrifying Cashmeres or The Bay Brothers?

I know that The Bay Brothers is the rarer, but personally I think The Electrifying Cashmeres is the more soulful; Sam disagrees! I have both so not a case of 'pushing' for the one I own.

Like to know others' thoughts.

Brian

link

Brian we had a vote on this very subject a while back probably in all about the soul somewhere....... :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Thanks John - I'll check it out, very helpful.

Pete-S not quite so helpful - why bother making comments if they are not going to contribute anything to the debate!

Brian

Social source share

Brian,

I did a Poll on Rare Soul Forum.

I had Jr Walker (which I love), Electrifying Cashmeres, Bay Brothers and Motherlode.

I think it was a tie between Jr Walker & EC (Both of which I own) and personally I just have EC above Jr Walker.

I also had about 13 other cover versions mentioned, some of which I had never heard of.

Why don't you try a poll on here?

All the best,

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

You asked a question - I answered it. Neither are any good compared to Jr Walker.

link

Pete - sorry if my post wasn't crystal clear - I was asking which between the two was the better; I was not looking for a comparison with JW.

Regards

Brian

Social source share

Pete - sorry if my post wasn't crystal clear - I was asking which between the two was the better; I was not looking for a comparison with JW.

Regards

Brian

link

Sorry, was only pulling your leg. I don't like either, honestly. But I do like Alton Ellis' version if thats any help!

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

But I do like Alton Ellis' version if thats any help!

link

Don't know it - but will check it out, especially as it has been done by a member of the Ellis clan!

Brian

Social source share

I've got it on a cd called Cry Tough on Heartbeat and it says that it's 'take 2', he's got such a soulful voice and although it's still obviously a reggae version, it is good...actually it's a cracking cd, one of the tracks on here I put on a tape must be a good 10 years ago under a different name because it was a soul version of Girl I Got A Date, finally turns up on Trojans northern cd last year. Also a good soul version of I'mJust A Guy on this cd as well.

Sorry to ramble on...

Social source share

Brian,

I'm in agreement with Pete - the Alton Ellis version is superb. The backing singers are so soulful and when Alton singings "i tried, i tried, i tried", you really feel he means it. Definately check it out :ohmy:

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Hi to anyone who remembers this topic about which version of -What Does It Take(To Win Your Love).

I`d like to know what version i heard at the weekend at Skeggy Butlins which was sang by a female vocalist,sounded good to me.

Social source share

Hi to anyone who remembers this topic about which version of -What Does It Take(To Win Your Love).

I`d like to know what version i heard at the weekend at Skeggy Butlins which was sang by a female vocalist,sounded good to me.

link

I wasn't at Skeggy but there's a version by Dee Dee Warwick. I'll send you a sound file if I can dig it out.

Social source share

I wasn't at Skeggy but there's a version by Dee Dee Warwick. I'll send you a sound file if I can dig it out.

link

Thanks Alison ,but it was not the version i heard although it is good,any more out there please?

Social source share

Sorry, was only pulling your leg.  I don't like either, honestly. But I do like Alton Ellis' version if thats any help!

link

I've just been listening to 'what does it take' on Alton Ellis - Sunday Coming L.P., the track before it 'Alton Blues' is an out & out Funk record. Does this get any plays on the Funk scene? Shame they had to spoil a good album!! :wicked:

Regards,

Ady.

Social source share

As of late, I'v really enjoyed the B.J. Thomas version from his "everyone is out of town" LP. Strictly for the instrumentation and the laid back feel. His vocal is not so hot, but I like the guitars.

Also, I've enjoyed the Motherlode version for going on 15 years now. Glad it finally caught on. The instrumentation and sound quality of that version is superb. Has instant dancefloor appeal I think.

But I must agree with Gareth that the Electrifying Cashmeres version is undeniabley soulful and vocally a superior performance to all of the other cover versions. I don't rate the Bay Brothers version at all. The backing track is kind of nice, but those guys are shmaltzy and lack soul in my opinion. Why people were paying through the nose for that record is beyond me. Just bad adult contemporary sounding to me. I feel like I'm in a waiting room getting ready to have teeth pulled and it's playing low in the background while I'm rifling through the crappy magazines.

And Pete, I'd love to hear the Alton Ellis version. Is it also on the Trojan Soulful Reggae Box set?

KTF

Jas

Social source share

As of late, I'v really enjoyed the B.J. Thomas version from his "everyone is out of town" LP. Strictly for the instrumentation and the laid back feel. His vocal is not so hot, but I like the guitars.

Also, I've enjoyed the Motherlode version for going on 15 years now. Glad it finally caught on. The instrumentation and sound quality of that version is superb. Has instant dancefloor appeal I think.

But I must agree with Gareth that the Electrifying Cashmeres version is undeniabley soulful and vocally a superior performance to all of the other cover versions. I don't rate the Bay Brothers version at all. The backing track is kind of nice, but those guys are shmaltzy and lack soul in my opinion. Why people were paying through the nose for that record is beyond me. Just bad adult contemporary sounding to me. I feel like I'm in a waiting room getting ready to have teeth pulled and it's playing low in the background while I'm rifling through the crappy magazines.

And Pete, I'd love to hear the Alton Ellis version. Is it also on the Trojan Soulful Reggae Box set?

KTF

Jas

link

5th dimention,good version.

Social source share

link

Got a Canadian copy of this in my saels box.... will have to dig it out and give it another listen.

WOOF!

Social source share

I've got a nice version by Tony Rome & The D.W.A.I. Orchestra featuring Donald Armstrong, 1981 on a not so common Kency 12. :wicked:

Jr Walker's is the best for me tho...

Sam

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Is this 45 Alison, or album, if so which album?

Cheers

Jock

link

Unsure Jock - I don't know of a release on 45 so I'd assume album - it was an RA I had stored as a sound file that Steve Plumb sent me - I'll ask him.

link

Jamesy me owd flower of the North it's Album only i believe blush.gif not a bad version though i suppose

Social source share

There is a great version byThe Fifth Dimension on the album Lovelines, Angels & Rhymes. Easy to pick up and as cheap as chips.

link

chips are better value though!,backdoor-ken.

Social source share

Jamesy me owd flower of the North it's Album only i believe thumbsup.gif not a bad version though i suppose

link

Had a message from Plumby in response to this.

Canadian LP on a weird label that he can't remember (he's at work) but thinks its just called Dee Dee.

Social source share

KTF

Jas

link

Alton Ellis version here-

Social source share

KTF

Jas

link

Alton Ellis version here-somewhere!!

Have to excuse,tried several times, it is around here somewhere.

Edited by jonojones
Social source share

KTF

Jas

link

Social source share

KTF

Jas

link

Social source share

link

All I can say is i was delighted to trade my (vinyl) copy of the Bay Brothers with Sam cos i always thought it was shit. Plus it went towards a Delegates Of Soul so I was well happy.

Social source share

link

Electrifying Cashmeres is the one i was looking for.It is sung high pitched and at the time i thought it was a female ,easily done i suppose as i was outside at the time."a la Little Anthony,Jonny Caswell" : :D

.Just heard a snippet from the middle of the record at Amazon,and it gets my vote.

Possible download about?especially the intro.

Social source share

The Dee Dee Warwick LP is called 'Call me' and it's on Canadian 'Sutra' label from 1982

link

Thanks Alison and John, its a gospel album is it not? If so I did have it at time but never really clicked with, no doubt gave it away to someone now laughing!!

Thanks for that I have most of her 60's/70s abums (I think, she only did about 4 I thought) so was wondering which one, had forgotten she had done this, I think one track on this album did get some plays with the moddern guys.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Brian,

I did a Poll on Rare Soul Forum.

I had Jr Walker (which I love), Electrifying Cashmeres, Bay Brothers and Motherlode.

I think it was a tie between Jr Walker & EC (Both of which I own) and personally I just have EC above Jr Walker.

I also had about 13 other cover versions mentioned, some of which I had never heard of.

Why don't you try a poll on here?

All the best,

Jamie

link

As listed on Allmusic.com,these are known versions of What Does It Take(To Win Your Love),alright B.J Thomas doesn`t get a mention nor todays pop trollop,but it lends a hand to a poll on here.

Johnny Bristol

California Raisins

Candy Duff

Coon Elder Band

Alton Ellis

Kenny G

Hearts Of Stone

Don Julian

Ronnie Laws

Eddie M(?)

The Manfreds

The Moments

Motherlode

Pride & Joy

Santana

Tony Joe White

The Younghearts

Of course the site doesn`t know of the Northern ones etc so add as you please after these;

Electrifying Cashmeres

Bay Brothers

BJ Thomas

We could all try and track an audio file for each one,especially those on night shift!.

Social source share

Guest BCTRHYTHM

As listed on Allmusic.com,these are known versions of What Does It Take(To Win Your Love),alright B.J Thomas doesn`t get a mention nor todays pop trollop,but it lends a hand to a poll on here.

Johnny Bristol

California Raisins

Candy Duff

Coon Elder Band

Alton Ellis

Kenny G

Hearts Of Stone

Don Julian

Ronnie Laws

Eddie M(?)

The Manfreds

The Moments

Motherlode

Pride & Joy

Santana

Tony Joe White

The Younghearts

Of course the site doesn`t know of the Northern ones etc so add as you please after these;

Electrifying Cashmeres

Bay Brothers

BJ Thomas

We could all try and track an audio file for each one,especially those on night shift!.

link

Other possibles

skeeter davis

revelators

art tatum

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hello Soul Sam,

the title of Tony Rome & The D.W.A.I. Orchestra featuring Donald Armstrong is

WHAT DOES IT TAKE ?

have you got it for sale ?

thank you

blnhyc@wanadoo.fr

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Candy Duff

Its actually Candy Dulfer who is the beautiful Dutch saxophonist the vocal is done by Johnathon Butler and while being a credible version alongside the other covers none of them come close to the original Jnr Walker .

Social source share

Hello Soul Sam,

the title of Tony Rome & The D.W.A.I. Orchestra featuring Donald Armstrong is

WHAT DOES IT TAKE ?

have you got it for sale ?

thank you

blnhyc@wanadoo.fr

link

Sorry mate it's not for sale... however if you would like me to put it on tape for you just pm me.

Sam

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

hi SAM,

Very thank you for your reply. I am not interested to have it on a tape, i prefer try to find it on a record.

Do you know the value of this record. Is it still possible to find it ? in england ?

If you want to sell it later, contact me.

Thank you

blnhyc@wanadoo.fr

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!