Group tracks that have been recorded by a group member

Mal C

Hi all, this is a good one,  class tracks that got cut by a group and then singularly by a group member, which is generally as good, and in allot of cases allot rarer...

so,

the Invicibles - Crying Heart / Audio Arts (green label mix is best) 

also released by Cal Gilbert - Crying Heart / Audio Arts 

The New Sounds - Sweet Memories / Turbo Lp

Also released by Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories / Megatone 

Any more out there worth a mention...

mal

Social source share

This is another that sounds the same to me, but hey the creadit and issue number are different:

Young folk / Miss Madeline : Lonely Girl /MarVlus 

That Maurice Jackson does get a gold sticker, you pulled that one out Alan... 

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Mal C said:

This is another that sounds the same to me, but hey the creadit and issue number are different:

Young folk / Miss Madeline : Lonely Girl /MarVlus 

That Maurice Jackson does get a gold sticker, you pulled that one out Alan... 

The same, Madeline was Madeline Strickland who was also lead singer of the Young Folk.

Social source share

21 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

The Exits 'Another sundown in Watts' also on the later solo James Conwell LP on Guiness, but is it the same version? Long time since I've heard the LP 

Same but not as clear mix I believe as was informed on here a while ago.

Have a listen to the LP again soon Chris its a great way to spend an hour or so ! :thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

If counting cd's by solo artists then it must run into thousands. There are so many artists who re- recorded material from the days when they where in a group. However from a vinyl perspective L. J Reynolds solo and Dramatics, Philip Wynn solo and Spinners, Jerry Butler solo and Impressions, General Johnson solo and Chaimen of the Board, Eugene Record solo and Chi lites, William Hart solo and Delfonics, Mark Green solo and Moments spring to mind. In fact it must run into the thousands with LP tracks. As others have also mentioned there are numerous 45's which are infact the same record, all be it a slightly different mix,  Reggie Garner as Gods gift to Women springs to mind.

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, platters 81 said:

ive always wondered about the Incredibles/Carl Gilbert...has anyone ever seen an Incredibles ISSUE that plays Carl Gilbert..(like the vinyl demo)..............ive never seen one (maybe a green label)?

all I know is the green label is the best one, there are 3 different mixes I think on this track... 4 with Cals effort.

Social source share

2 hours ago, John Benson said:

So... unless Sam was a member of the Ohio Players, this also doesn't count?

I know there was a James Williams but don't think he and Sam are the same person?

It's Gloria (Towanda) Barnes singing on the Ohio Players version in any event. So definitely doesn't count.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, platters 81 said:

ive always wondered about the Incredibles/Carl Gilbert...has anyone ever seen an Incredibles ISSUE that plays Carl Gilbert..(like the vinyl demo)..............ive never seen one (maybe a green label)?

www.popsike.com                                                                   www.popsike.com

350534621461.jpg280829857733.jpg

AUDIO ARTS! - 701 -The Incredibles - CRYING HEART - Has the same AA 7005 Matrix number as Carl Gilbert.

I have not had the Carl Gilbert to compare but wonder if they are indeed the same take. (Master plate)

AUDIO_ARTS_AA-701-B_DJ.jpgAUDIO_ARTS_AA-701-B.jpg

AUDIO ARTS! 60,001 - The Incredibles - CRYING HEART. The three below have 6794 Matrix number.

Audio_Arts_60001b_DJ-1.jpgAudio_Arts_60001b_G-1.jpg

Audio_Arts_60001b_B_S.jpg

Social source share

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 20:59, chalky said:

Eddie Spencer wasn't in the Precisions though? 

Oh, I was certain I heard somewhere that Spencer had written the song and fronted The Precisions, however looking at my copy of ITIL it's credited to another writing team of three, none of which is Spencer. Oh well must've imagined it!

Eta: Just listened to the ES cut on YT and clearly it wasn't him singing The Precisions cut, also, although the bass has better trills on ES I prefer The Precisions version. Never mind eh, learning is the whole point isn't it! Cheers.

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
Social source share

7 hours ago, weingarden said:

May be disqualified because the first recording is a duo, not a "group," but:

Johnny and Jackey, Someday We'll Be Together (Tri-Phi)

Jackey Beavers, Someday We'll Be Together (Sound Stage 7)

Agree with Mike, I chose Freddie Hughes who was one half of the Casanova Two, it counts:thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!