Different Species

good angel

• Replies 40
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I only go to Allnighters,and find Soul nights leave me cold,Its like kissing your sister its not th real thing.

Do you think nighter soulies,are different to the ordinary soul night punters,and have we become a different species.

Regards,Kev. :secret:

Is your sister good looking?

Jordi

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

probably , like the eloi and the morlocks .... one happy go lucky the other a strange set of people who only come out at night lolol

Social source share

I only go to Allnighters,and find Soul nights leave me cold,Its like kissing your sister its not th real thing.

Do you think nighter soulies,are different to the ordinary soul night punters,and have we become a different species.

are you a vampire the one known as soul dracula :yes:
Social source share

If by this you mean the type of 'soul' these Niter people want to listen to, then I agree with you to a point!.

You get more of a chance at niter's to hear the lesser played, more hardcore 'Soul' that does not get played at many ordinary Soul-Nites because it is not deemed 'Safe', and of course a lot less people who consider a soul nite a 'Social scene` go to niters so there is less pressure to play the 'Usual stuff'.

Trouble is not everyone who wants to listen to this lesser played stuff can get to niter's, therefore to a degree missing out! :angry:

Social source share

============

I would say NO, but am interested to know why they may be percieved as different.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

If by this you mean the type of 'soul' these Niter people want to listen to, then I agree with you to a point!.

You get more of a chance at niter's to hear the lesser played, more hardcore 'Soul' that does not get played at many ordinary Soul-Nites because it is not deemed 'Safe', and of course a lot less people who consider a soul nite a 'Social scene` go to niters so there is less pressure to play the 'Usual stuff'.

Trouble is not everyone who wants to listen to this lesser played stuff can get to niter's, therefore to a degree missing out! :angry:

============

What nighter plays totally different music to soul nights? Seen Sam, Arthur, Ginger, Kenny B, Mick H at plenty of soul nights, even Butch occasionally, don't they include tracks they'd play in their nighter sets? Surely that's what they were booked in the first place for? :yes:

Social source share

There's plenty of soulies that go to both Kev ?????

The real difference to me is only between the once or twice a year soulie and the week in week out somewhere on the scene soulie.

:yes:

Social source share

1500+ a smaller crowd???

============

I meant as in totals going to soul nights, and totals going to nighters. Generally one nighter per week, and only Stoke attracts that figure, so it would be very rare that the normal nighter crowd would outnumber the normal soul night crowd.

Social source share

Kissing your sister's considered the real thing in Steve M's Derbyshire village :yes:

Social source share

============

What nighter plays totally different music to soul nights? Seen Sam, Arthur, Ginger, Kenny B, Mick H at plenty of soul nights, even Butch occasionally, don't they include tracks they'd play in their nighter sets? Surely that's what they were booked in the first place for? :lol:

True Winnie but the guys you mention dont do every local Fri/Sat soul night in the Country, many of us are left with the usual 'safe' nights, so if we want to hear some of the lesser played stuff you need to go to a Niter!.

Also as said the Niter crowds tend to go more for the music, not just the social scene and a late drink like many people at local nights, so they perhaps demand more 'choice' on the turntables, also jocks have a little longer on the decks to play this lesser known stuff!.

I have heard stuff at Stoke for Eg that wont get played at many local nights because again it would not be deemed 'safe'....... sadly! :hypo:

In some ways its a bit like the 60s/70s with the 'Youth club' Soul being different to the Wigan, Torch, Wheel type soul!. :yes:

Social source share

True Winnie but the guys you mention dont do every local Fri/Sat soul night in the Country, many of us are left with the usual 'safe' nights, so if we want to hear some of the lesser played stuff you need to go to a Niter!.

Also as said the Niter crowds tend to go more for the music, not just the social scene and a late drink like many people at local nights, so they perhaps demand more 'choice' on the turntables, also jocks have a little longer on the decks to play this lesser known stuff!.

I have heard stuff at Stoke for Eg that wont get played at many local nights because again it would not be deemed 'safe'....... sadly! :(

In some ways its a bit like the 60s/70s with the 'Youth club' Soul being different to the Wigan, Torch, Wheel type soul!. :)

===========

They don't do every nighter in the country either?

I've been to nighters all over the country, the only two which I would say stood out as playing more cutting edge than safe-ish are the 100 club and Lifeline. I'm told the Wilton has a similar policy, but not having been I can't comment. Most of the nighters have a bar at least until 2 and the Marrs and Queens Hall later, so not sure that has a great deal of relevance? Would definitely agree the Jocks get a little longer at nighters, although I think the 100 still does 2 half hour spots for each DJ (someone correct me if I'm wrong please :thumbsup: ), so they can diversify and really show their worth which is no bad thing.

Social source share

I have heard stuff at Stoke for Eg that wont get played at many local nights because again it would not be deemed 'safe'....... sadly! :thumbsup:

Seriously ???............In my experience I've always considered Stoke to focus on tried and tested oldies and be less progressive than a lot of the better local doo's. Which is why I now rarely go to Stoke because I find it too boring to bear all night long.

:)

Social source share

Seriously ???............In my experience I've always considered Stoke to focus on tried and tested oldies and be less progressive than a lot of the better local doo's. Which is why I now rarely go to Stoke because I find it too boring to bear all night long.

:)

============

I think the new additions to the line up Butch etc may have cured that somewhat??

Social source share

============

What nighter plays totally different music to soul nights? Seen Sam, Arthur, Ginger, Kenny B, Mick H at plenty of soul nights, even Butch occasionally, don't they include tracks they'd play in their nighter sets? Surely that's what they were booked in the first place for? :)

These DJ will in the man play stuff to compliment the venue and crowd. A spot from Ginger at Preston Grasshoppers will undoubtedly be different than a spot from Ginger at Sheridans. The expectation of the promotor is different, the reaction of the dancers is different and yes to my mind the people are different. At least the majority of the people are different.

Social source share

These DJ will in the man play stuff to compliment the venue and crowd. A spot from Ginger at Preston Grasshoppers will undoubtedly be different than a spot from Ginger at Sheridans. The expectation of the promotor is different, the reaction of the dancers is different and yes to my mind the people are different. At least the majority of the people are different.

==========

Ginger will change his spot to suit a venue, he did it at Desborough last night, but Sam, Arthur, Butch don't think they do as such. I've read a number of times that the ethos of the scene is about discovering new sounds, or reactivating underplayed oldies, wouldn't front line DJ's be failing in their duty to educate if they played safe when they visited a soul night? Surely if a soul night books Sam etc they know what they'll get, I can't believe they'd ask him, or anyone else to water down their sets The point I'm making is that a lot of people going to soul nights are also reasonably discerning about what they want to hear. It may have been my imagination but the initial post seemed to be implying that those going in the main to soul nights were second class citizens. Not saying you're saying that Ged, and if I've got it wrong apologies to the thread starter, just how it looks to me?

Social source share

==========

Ginger will change his spot to suit a venue, he did it at Desborough last night, but Sam, Arthur, Butch don't think they do as such. I've read a number of times that the ethos of the scene is about discovering new sounds, or reactivating underplayed oldies, wouldn't front line DJ's be failing in their duty to educate if they played safe when they visited a soul night? Surely if a soul night books Sam etc they know what they'll get, I can't believe they'd ask him, or anyone else to water down their sets The point I'm making is that a lot of people going to soul nights are also reasonably discerning about what they want to hear. It may have been my imagination but the initial post seemed to be implying that those going in the main to soul nights were second class citizens. Not saying you're saying that Ged, and if I've got it wrong apologies to the thread starter, just how it looks to me?

Don't know about the initial post but I genuinely meant different rather than first or second class. Point taken about Sam and Butch perhaps thats why they appear to get less 'soul night' bookings than Ginger??.

I go to soul nights and consider my self descerning but feel at many soul nights I am in a minority. There are notable exceptions Soul Gems in Preston and Soul or Nothing are good examples. I prefer nights like this but they are less well attended than nights that are more oldies biased therefore I perceive the audiences to be different and the crowd looking for something different to be smaller and as a generalisation more likely to be keen nighter goers.

Others go where they like the music and I've stopped trying to understand those that want broadly the same music week in year out but hey they're paying their money so its up to them. :)

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

are you a vampire the one known as soul dracula :yes:

Who released a track by the very same title in 1976 on EMI, the gawdy yellow and buff(y) coloured label? I bought this when doing my appreniceship. An easily led teenager! :thumbsup:

Martin

Social source share

Who released a track by the very same title in 1976 on EMI, the gawdy yellow and buff(y) coloured label? I bought this when doing my appreniceship. An easily led teenager! :thumbsup:

Martin

It was by "Hot Blood", they used to play this at the youth club disco before the northern half hour, thought it was Creole label but you are probably right

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

It was by "Hot Blood", they used to play this at the youth club disco before the northern half hour, thought it was Creole label but you are probably right

No Pete, it was Creole . . . you are right. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Russ

I always go out with my cape on,but my Mrs calls a bag on :yes: And before any ones says its not on my head.

All the Best,Kev,sorry Vlad thumbsup.gif

back to your thread re allnighters, maybe you, Vlad n cape should fly out to

darkest st.ives, cambs 28th december L.E.L SOUL CLUB ALLNIGHTER 9 - 6AM

GUEST DJS; MICK H, CARL FORTNUM, KENNY BURRELL, ARTHUR FENN, BAZ BOND

plus res djs; russ holley(me :ohmy: ),steve phillis, tony warot & nogsy SEE EVENTS

cheers

russ

Social source share

back to your thread re allnighters, maybe you, Vlad n cape should fly out to

darkest st.ives, cambs 28th december L.E.L SOUL CLUB ALLNIGHTER 9 - 6AM

GUEST DJS; MICK H, CARL FORTNUM, KENNY BURRELL, ARTHUR FENN, BAZ BOND

plus res djs; russ holley(me :ohmy: ),steve phillis, tony warot & nogsy SEE EVENTS

cheers

russ

=============

That's the corniest lead in line to an advert for a nighter ever :P:yes: Think I'll definitely have to come to the nighter now, would be nice to be in the elite, even if it is only the once whistling.gif

Social source share

=============

That's the corniest lead in line to an advert for a nighter ever :lol::unsure: Think I'll definitely have to come to the nighter now, would be nice to be in the elite, even if it is only the once :unsure:

Well the cream always rises to the top :unsure:

Regards,Kev,or Vlad :lol:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!