Lou-Neita Records -- East Point, Ga

Roburt

This label has had a couple of mentions on here down the years but no real facts on it were posted up.

Anyone here know much about this label that operated from East Point a small city just SW of Atlanta.

It seemed to have big ambitions in 1970 and cut, released, distributed some decent soul sides.

Their best artists (that I know about) were the Bishop (real ID ?), Thelma Wilson & Gina Hill.

They also released country & white christian music, but that don't interest me.

LouNeitaRecsAd3.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

As usual when good quality soul is involved, Sir Shambling has been there first ...

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/B/the_bishop/index.php

....though once again, very little in known about the company or their artists ....

Looking at the East Point street scene today, there is no evidence that the building that housed the Lou- Neita organisation (offices / studio / warehouse ?) ever stood there .... the newish building on the left is 1618 Thompson, so the old Lou-Neita building must have stood where it's car park is now ...

ThmpsnAveEastPoint.jpg

Social source share

Lou-Neita also operated out of a building in a nearby town, College Park.

This is the next place south of East Point & is situated near Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta Int Airport. The outfits address in College Pk was 3815 Sth Main St. Once again the actual building has gone but the 2 next to it still exist (modest places) ... The Big AJ Store is 3817 S Main St, so the Lou-Neita building was to the right of it ...

I've now got the current address of the guy who ran the label's recording sessions & we head out to the US in a couple of days time ... so I'll contact him to find out more about the label and it's releases. 

MnStCollegePkGa2.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

13 hours ago, Roburt said:

What's the label's record sleeve look like ??

Hidden away in storage at present but recall it being rather plain, with Lou Neita in red on it. The plan is to put the company sleeves in plastic sleeves and eventually marry them up with the original records currently filed in white cardboard sleeves. Next time I come across it, I'll photograph it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yea, Von Taylor was the real guy behind the Gina Hill cuts (Von Taylor usually based himself out of Montgomery Ala) .... he had a long ongoing association with Dan Brantley. On the net it says that some guys in the studio backing band on Gina's tracks went on to become BRICK,  which makes sense as they were from Atlanta.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 6 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!