East Anglian Soul Club

I had been looking forward to this event for a number of months, as Coops and the other guys had been advertising it well from the beginning of the summer, with top class flyers and a promo DVD which was the first of its kind I had seen given out at venues up this way. So the Friday came and with it, a feeling of returning to one of the nicest parts of the UK. I hadn't been to Peterborough for a number of years and was looking forward to re orientating myself with the area. How wrong was I? for starters it was dark, and it had changed a lot since I was last here with my grandfather, but after driving past Woolworth's a number of times on the one way system and seeing the city club we were able to negotiate the correct turning and found a little car park near to the venue and best of all it was free parking. So we were here, and armed with the usual bags entered the venue to meet Coops there on the door. Lots of people arriving and the place was full and jumping. Coops gave us a brief run down on the venue i.e what was where, picking up on the way in a very nice free Cd, and that was it, we were off on what was a top class night of music, atmosphere, and dancing. At the top of the stairs was Dougie and Linda with table set up and several sales boxes full of gems and bargains aplenty. Inside the Northern room it was already hot and the dance floor primed with talc for the waiting dancers. Lots of people already here so a great atmosphere was already present, So straight to the bar and a couple of Cokes ordered and swiftly drunk. Lots of friendly faces to meet and greet and catch up on the goss with, this done, and it was time to try the dance floor. Now I know several people have criticized the floor already, but bear in mind the carpet was only lifted from it a few days earlier, and the lads had worked really hard to try and bring it to soul dancer standard and despite there only being one or two small bumps and it being a little sticky in places, it was great to dance on, and I bet next time we go in November, it will be spot on, it already has great movement (sprung) and is the traditional wood (which we all know and love at venues). See that's the thing about venues that are done by soulies for soulies, if there is a problem you can be certain it will be sorted for the next night, as they know where people are coming from with regards to a dance floor, as opposed to the larger promoters out there who just want to take your dosh and forget the rest. Musically this nite had it all, catering for the die hard northern fan and those that like the modern, boasting two rooms (modern downstairs and the northern room upstairs) Now I have to admit I never made it for a peek in the modern room as the music played in the northern room kept me in there all night, but when on a visit to the separate smoke room (downstairs) the conversation about the quality of music that was being played in there was extremely positive, So I am looking forward to the playlist from the modern room boys, so I can have a listen at my leisure to the sounds they played. The tunes in the northern room included (and in no particular order of appearance) from EASC residents a fantastic selection of top class northern sounds which included Martin Stanford - You've Been Leading Me On - The Steinways (one of my fav's) Sweeter than the day before - The Valentino's and I wanna Know -John E. Paul. Marcus Reid - Fidels - Try a little harder, Howard Guyton - I watched you slowly slip away, Millionaires - Never for me. Mick Cooper - Major Lance - Little young lover, Billy Butler- Thank you baby, Kashif- Rumors. (Also playing later the fantastic Kirk Franklin's Looking for you) The three residents have set a top class standard for future guest DJ's to come in and play So dancer wise we are in for some great music over the following months. This months guests included Paddy O'Grady from northern soul radio playing the most requested tracks from his show, so plenty of tamla motown in Paddy's spot with the likes of the velvelettes filling the floor and giving the Peterborough crew and Paddy ample promoting time of the tour they are doing here in the UK. Ian Gee's set as always, heart stopping 100 per cent Northern, Ian takes no prisoners when he puts a set together and plays tracks that have a dance floor begging for forgiveness and gasping for breath (or is that just me) I am always biased with regards to one of Ian's sets as he is one of my favorite northern Djays, and plays my kind of music and an example of one of Ian's set tonight included Hank Jacob's Elijah rocking with soul, I am too busy on the dance floor to remember what Ian plays spot on and in between records am getting me heart rate back to normal, So am looking forward to reading his playlist. I would just like to say that this was a top night of Soul gentlemen, many congratulations on your achievement of helping the Phoenix that was the East Anglian Soul Club raise from the ashes of northern soul history and, Just like its predecessor I am certain that this is going to be around for many years to come. EASC has been reborn. Sister DawnOctober 2006

• Replies 13
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I had been looking forward to this event for a number of months, as Coops and the other guys had been advertising it well from the beginning of the summer, with top class flyers and a promo DVD which was the first of its kind I had seen given out at venues up this way. So the Friday came and with it, a feeling of returning to one of the nicest parts of the UK. I hadn't been to Peterborough for a number of years and was looking forward to re orientating myself with the area. How wrong was I? for starters it was dark, and it had changed a lot since I was last here with my grandfather, but after driving past Woolworth's a number of times on the one way system and seeing the city club we were able to negotiate the correct turning and found a little car park near to the venue and best of all it was free parking. So we were here, and armed with the usual bags entered the venue to meet Coops there on the door. Lots of people arriving and the place was full and jumping. Coops gave us a brief run down on the venue i.e what was where, picking up on the way in a very nice free Cd, and that was it, we were off on what was a top class night of music, atmosphere, and dancing. At the top of the stairs was Dougie and Linda with table set up and several sales boxes full of gems and bargains aplenty. Inside the Northern room it was already hot and the dance floor primed with talc for the waiting dancers. Lots of people already here so a great atmosphere was already present, So straight to the bar and a couple of Cokes ordered and swiftly drunk. Lots of friendly faces to meet and greet and catch up on the goss with, this done, and it was time to try the dance floor. Now I know several people have criticized the floor already, but bear in mind the carpet was only lifted from it a few days earlier, and the lads had worked really hard to try and bring it to soul dancer standard and despite there only being one or two small bumps and it being a little sticky in places, it was great to dance on, and I bet next time we go in November, it will be spot on, it already has great movement (sprung) and is the traditional wood (which we all know and love at venues). See that's the thing about venues that are done by soulies for soulies, if there is a problem you can be certain it will be sorted for the next night, as they know where people are coming from with regards to a dance floor, as opposed to the larger promoters out there who just want to take your dosh and forget the rest. Musically this nite had it all, catering for the die hard northern fan and those that like the modern, boasting two rooms (modern downstairs and the northern room upstairs) Now I have to admit I never made it for a peek in the modern room as the music played in the northern room kept me in there all night, but when on a visit to the separate smoke room (downstairs) the conversation about the quality of music that was being played in there was extremely positive, So I am looking forward to the playlist from the modern room boys, so I can have a listen at my leisure to the sounds they played. The tunes in the northern room included (and in no particular order of appearance) from EASC residents a fantastic selection of top class northern sounds which included Martin Stanford - You've Been Leading Me On - The Steinways (one of my fav's) Sweeter than the day before - The Valentino's and I wanna Know -John E. Paul. Marcus Reid - Fidels - Try a little harder, Howard Guyton - I watched you slowly slip away, Millionaires - Never for me. Mick Cooper - Major Lance - Little young lover, Billy Butler- Thank you baby, Kashif- Rumors. (Also playing later the fantastic Kirk Franklin's Looking for you) The three residents have set a top class standard for future guest DJ's to come in and play So dancer wise we are in for some great music over the following months. This months guests included Paddy O'Grady from northern soul radio playing the most requested tracks from his show, so plenty of tamla motown in Paddy's spot with the likes of the velvelettes filling the floor and giving the Peterborough crew and Paddy ample promoting time of the tour they are doing here in the UK. Ian Gee's set as always, heart stopping 100 per cent Northern, Ian takes no prisoners when he puts a set together and plays tracks that have a dance floor begging for forgiveness and gasping for breath (or is that just me) I am always biased with regards to one of Ian's sets as he is one of my favorite northern Djays, and plays my kind of music and an example of one of Ian's set tonight included Hank Jacob's Elijah rocking with soul, I am too busy on the dance floor to remember what Ian plays spot on and in between records am getting me heart rate back to normal, So am looking forward to reading his playlist. I would just like to say that this was a top night of Soul gentlemen, many congratulations on your achievement of helping the Phoenix that was the East Anglian Soul Club raise from the ashes of northern soul history and, Just like its predecessor I am certain that this is going to be around for many years to come. EASC has been reborn. Sister DawnOctober 2006

============

Nice review, very good read :)

From another part of this forum that most miss..

What is it with Peterborough?

A small Town, could be a City on the periphery of that piece of England that resembles Jenny Lopez's backside i.e. East Anglia. That part of the world who's terrain resembles Kate Moss's chest and where the locals refer to a nice tune as "bootiful" however after the piss take they do have a very special possibly unique affiliation towards what I describe as a proper Northern Soul Scene, not a rare soul scene, not the world of acetates, cover ups, one off £5000 vinyl records and seedy back-stabbing Internet bickering by those that believe it's 'hip' and 'cool' to ridicule those that simply want a bloody good night.

I'm Cov born and bred, Little Heath to be exact and stumbled across the Peterborough scene two years ago by accident. Whilst working on a new school project in Peterborough Hampton I was taken to the Parkway Club by one of the other guys on the site who that weekend he along with several mates were attending their local reunion night, the locals were paying homage to the Wirina allnighter from the 1970's

You Peterboroites do not know how lucky you are, expecting a pub back room with a gathering of 30 I was slightly embarrassed at what ensued, an evening of wonderful Northern Soul, 400 fantastic very warm people, incredible DJ's and inspiring promoters. Since that truly awesome night I and the Mrs have been back to Peterborough 4 times and have never had a bad night including last nights 1 hr journey to The City Club.

I'd be interested to know what guys and gals laid the foundations for what you have in Peterborough, seriously I'm really interested where it all started?

Is there some long lost Da Vinci code type scroll possibly hidden behind a Toilet U bend in a some demolished drinking den where the rules to Northern Soul in Peterborough were laid down. My wife and I are knocked out every time we visit Peterborough by the warm welcome the Peterborough people have for out of towner's, we're not sure if that's the way they 'have' to be due to Paragraph 17 off this lost parchment or is far more simple and everybody's off their tits on red bull?

For a town to have one very successful soul night is fantastic to have a town that has FOUR!!! is unbelievable and testament to the locals support and enthusiasm coupled with vision of the guys who promote these functions.

The Parkway--Large venue, 300+ Capacity Oldies orientated, cheap beer, free parking, 3 resident DJ's, Martin, Tracy and Brian Rae + one guest.

The Post Offey -- Smaller venue, 200 right across the board playlist 1 resident Jock Dave? 3 guest Jocks every 2 months, have the odd all dayer. free parking and even cheaper beer.

The College -- twice a year big hall, live acts a speciality, 600 capacity always sold out!!!, all oldies with a twist, the two residents Smudge and Paul Donerly know their stuff and mix it about with material you don't here anywhere else, Dean Parish live last time we went, awesome night. Tamla's Velvellettes on November 17th, free parking and very expensive beer if you can get one.

The City Club--continuing the Peterborough tradition, quality promotion with Jocks who's job was to keep it cranked up. What's it like? A City centre soul night with an all-nighter atmosphere is the only way I could describe the place, absolutely fantastic night and a quality modern room to boot downstairs that my wife discovered whilst attempting to find the ladies room.

If what you want out of your Monthly Northern Soul fix is night out with like minded and very friendly people, listening or dancing to records that you actually know and some you don't and want to walk away from a Soul Night with a smile on your face, try the Peterborough scene, its 'bootiful'

See you all at the Velvellettes night.

Steve and Jenny Parker

Coventry.

From another part of this forum that most miss..

What is it with Peterborough?

A small Town, could be a City on the periphery of that piece of England that resembles Jenny Lopez's backside i.e. East Anglia. That part of the world who's terrain resembles Kate Moss's chest and where the locals refer to a nice tune as "bootiful" however after the piss take they do have a very special possibly unique affiliation towards what I describe as a proper Northern Soul Scene, not a rare soul scene, not the world of acetates, cover ups, one off £5000 vinyl records and seedy back-stabbing Internet bickering by those that believe it's 'hip' and 'cool' to ridicule those that simply want a bloody good night.

I'm Cov born and bred, Little Heath to be exact and stumbled across the Peterborough scene two years ago by accident. Whilst working on a new school project in Peterborough Hampton I was taken to the Parkway Club by one of the other guys on the site who that weekend he along with several mates were attending their local reunion night, the locals were paying homage to the Wirina allnighter from the 1970's

You Peterboroites do not know how lucky you are, expecting a pub back room with a gathering of 30 I was slightly embarrassed at what ensued, an evening of wonderful Northern Soul, 400 fantastic very warm people, incredible DJ's and inspiring promoters. Since that truly awesome night I and the Mrs have been back to Peterborough 4 times and have never had a bad night including last nights 1 hr journey to The City Club.

I'd be interested to know what guys and gals laid the foundations for what you have in Peterborough, seriously I'm really interested where it all started?

Is there some long lost Da Vinci code type scroll possibly hidden behind a Toilet U bend in a some demolished drinking den where the rules to Northern Soul in Peterborough were laid down. My wife and I are knocked out every time we visit Peterborough by the warm welcome the Peterborough people have for out of towner's, we're not sure if that's the way they 'have' to be due to Paragraph 17 off this lost parchment or is far more simple and everybody's off their tits on red bull?

For a town to have one very successful soul night is fantastic to have a town that has FOUR!!! is unbelievable and testament to the locals support and enthusiasm coupled with vision of the guys who promote these functions.

The Parkway--Large venue, 300+ Capacity Oldies orientated, cheap beer, free parking, 3 resident DJ's, Martin, Tracy and Brian Rae + one guest.

The Post Offey -- Smaller venue, 200 right across the board playlist 1 resident Jock Dave? 3 guest Jocks every 2 months, have the odd all dayer. free parking and even cheaper beer.

The College -- twice a year big hall, live acts a speciality, 600 capacity always sold out!!!, all oldies with a twist, the two residents Smudge and Paul Donerly know their stuff and mix it about with material you don't here anywhere else, Dean Parish live last time we went, awesome night. Tamla's Velvellettes on November 17th, free parking and very expensive beer if you can get one.

The City Club--continuing the Peterborough tradition, quality promotion with Jocks who's job was to keep it cranked up. What's it like? A City centre soul night with an all-nighter atmosphere is the only way I could describe the place, absolutely fantastic night and a quality modern room to boot downstairs that my wife discovered whilst attempting to find the ladies room.

If what you want out of your Monthly Northern Soul fix is night out with like minded and very friendly people, listening or dancing to records that you actually know and some you don't and want to walk away from a Soul Night with a smile on your face, try the Peterborough scene, its 'bootiful'

See you all at the Velvellettes night.

Steve and Jenny Parker

Coventry.

Steve Thanks so much for your kind words Im so very pleased that you enjoyed the first E.A.S.C. City club event and espicially pleased that you have taken the time and effort to post it on here .I am responsible for running the Crossover /Modern room so I am humbled to see you descibe it as quality :):thumbsup::(:lol: we have become involved with this event so we can provide a regular dedicated modern room in addition to a nothern room something sadly lacking in this area.

We are trying to provide a night here that will provide people with a diverse choice of quality SOUL something for all tastes in a friendly , comfortable, quality venue

Keep it real

Steve jay (resident dj modern room)

The center of the soul universe :)

Hi Baz Im already having a real Shite day Ive just buried my dog and now Ive got to finish my VAT return :(:( thanks for moving this forum I was going to ask you how to (Nice to see the moderators are on the ball)By the way you were right what you said last week ,we had a MENTAL night :lol::P alright thank you very much,

please remember its all tongue in cheek :thumbsup::(

By the way for the record the modern soul room floor is just perfect :D:D

Keep it real Steve

theres your answer thumbsup.gif on a positive note how many small cities can

boast so many venues, which attract such a loyal following, just a shame its stuck

in a time warp, no offence to anyone ok.

Yes it has been but were trying to change all that thats why weve got involved in this with the Modern /Crossover Room and a traditional northern room its time to push the boundaries a little as has been said onwards and upwards

Keep it real

Steve :thumbsup::thumbup::ohmy::D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

i agree with you steve, i got there around 11.30, after going to stamford soul

night which was a low on numbers which was a shame, nice venue certainly different

from the other p"boro venues and yes it does boast a modern/crossover room, but regards

upstairs it was no different from any other night in p"boro, so what was different regards

upstairs? maybe we could have some playlists as i missed what was played earlier?

i agree with you steve, i got there around 11.30, after going to stamford soul

night which was a low on numbers which was a shame, nice venue certainly different

from the other p"boro venues and yes it does boast a modern/crossover room, but regards

upstairs it was no different from any other night in p"boro, so what was different regards

upstairs? maybe we could have some playlists as i missed what was played earlier?

Hi Mate dont know what was played upstairs as we do the modern room I can assure you this room caters for people with differing tastes from 60s crossover to brand new releases . ie records played ... The Kings Of Soul thru Norris Vines to Kirk Franklin..and a whole load of everything tahts good from in between.

Steve