Does This Make Anyone Else Mad?

Pete S

People putting posts in the SALES section which just lead to Ebay links?

There's enough crappy auctions elsewhere, I don't think auctions and Ebay links should be allowed.

Plus the fact that most of the people who post them up only join simply to do so and never join in any of the discussions.

Set sale prices or go elsewhere, that's what I say.

This is not aimed at one individual, it's aimed at everyone who does it.

:ohmy:

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i tell you what pete,you dont take any prisoners,i like that...and i also agree,i sell a bit on evil bay,but i dont have the gawl to spread it all over here aswell,if you want shit go and look for it,dont put it on every free page you can find,its just showing desperation....set sales......or piss off...

Social source share

People putting posts in the SALES section which just lead to Ebay links? 

There's enough crappy auctions elsewhere, I don't think auctions and Ebay links should be allowed.

Plus the fact that most of the people who post them up only join simply to do so and never join in any of the discussions.

Set sale prices or go elsewhere, that's what I say.

This is not aimed at one individual, it's aimed at everyone who does it.

:ohmy:

link

bare ebay posts are shite and smack of taking the ****

if catch them , depending on mood usually do say or do something

half the time lack of any reply just proves them as just hit and run :D

myself think worthwhile if post up listing of stuff to go with link

Social source share

bare ebay posts are shite and smack of taking the ****

if catch them , depending on mood  usually do say or do something

half the time lack of any reply just proves them as just hit and run :ohmy:

myself think worthwhile if post up listing of stuff to go with link

link

Seem to remember this "discussion" a while back Mike.... mmmm wacko.gif ....

Didn't you say then what you've put here.... summat like.... "if putting up eBay sales link then put list here as well.... can easily be copied and pasted so no lengthy typing to be done.... people can then see if interested in looking in first place"....

Based on that principle I seem to remember it being the consensus of opinion then :D ....

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

What if its a regular. Who does contribute, and then puts up a post linking to some tracks on the bay??

Pete

I wish you had never started that 'the bay' stuff. I never ever used that term before, but used it in a blinkin phone conversation last night :ohmy:

Social source share

What if its a regular. Who does contribute, and then puts up a post linking to some tracks on the bay??

Pete

I wish you had never started that 'the bay' stuff. I never ever used that term before, but used it in a blinkin phone conversation last night :ohmy:

link

Even if it's a regular I don't think it should be allowed, it should be for sales not auctions.

Auctions = greed. Unless of course the very rare instance where someone doesn't actually know what the record is worth.

As for 'the bay' - you know I started the campaign to ban the phrase, you make it look as if I endorse it :D

I started putting a :graynone: next to it when people did it but it didn't catch on :D

Social source share

Even if it's a regular I don't think it should be allowed, it should be for sales not auctions.

Auctions = greed.  Unless of course the very rare instance where someone doesn't actually know what the record is worth.

As for 'the bay' - you know I started the campaign to ban the phrase, you make it look as if I endorse it  :thumbsup:

I started putting a  :graynone: next to it when people did it but it didn't catch on  yes.gif

link

Not unprecendented - I remember someone who always used to refer to Mr. Anderson's vinyl emporium as "The Bowl" :yes:

Social source share

i don't mind seeing auction links .... i have a look sometimes. more likely to look if there's an indication of what's there.

not sure about the greed point ............ i often see dealer prices fluctuating and as records get popular the price goes up .... seemingly little to do with the rarity of the records ..... not much different in my opinion.

Social source share

Auctions = greed.  Unless of course the very rare instance where someone doesn't actually know what the record is worth.

As for 'the bay' - you know I started the campaign to ban the phrase, you make it look as if I endorse it  :)

I started putting a  :graynone: next to it when people did it but it didn't catch on  :(

link

Not too sure about this Pete. I think that a lot of people put stuff on The Bay :) because it's an easy way of advertising to a lot of people. I've sold quite a bit of stuff other than Northern Soul on eBay because I wouldn't be sure how to price Psych, 60's Beat, Reggae etc. What's wrong with also putting some soul up there too. I think if you put unrealistic reserves on your records, then that could be construed as greed.

For myself, when I sell the odd bits it's just so that I get a bit of credit in the old Paypal balance so that I can then buy more stuff without it seeming like I'm spending real money.

After all it's not eBay itself that goes a bit mad sometimes - it's the people who use it!

Godz

Social source share

moved this to source news and info as fits in better as a discussion about site

on the subject , way look at it myself is

Sales section is for members to post sales, with the main reasons being

1. Give members opportunity to inform other members of stuff they have for sale

2. Pass on info of other sales available

3. Provide a searchable reference via the search engine

Auctions could be classed as sales, however a link to an auction in my view is not.

A list of stuff that is up for auction, may be useful information to some users.

Either if after one of 45s or maybe just to see what it ends up going for

If does post full list then at least the reader can choose whether to follow link unlike blanks ebay links

Maybe encourage listing, and also ebay in title - so those who dont want none of it can avoid ?

Always bit wary of tieing down with firm rules, while get some out and out ebay or other spammers, usually easy to spot, may get odd member not aware, who once knows score be happy to oblige

Social source share

Is it just links to ebay, or does your anger reach 'all soul/auction bid sites' and other links with something to sell at other than a fixed price.

What about promoters or DJs who may refer to a certain event in the post in a way that advertises it for free. Soul trip USA.

Unless you pay for this sites upkeep, why should it bother you so much. Live and let live.

Ed

Social source share

Is it just links to ebay, or does your anger reach 'all soul/auction bid sites' and other links with something to sell at other than a fixed price.

Ed

link

And what pray are all these "other" auction sites to which you refer? I can't remember seeing any links to them.

What I object to is the sheer rudeness of people who have never made even introduced themselves or joined in any topics, leaving an advert for their Ebay auctions and never returning.

If you like this sort of person then fine, I don't and why should I have to justify myself to you anyway?

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Totally disagree with this being moved, there was discussion going on where it was originally and now it's died  :thumbsup:

link

Pete and all memebrs

Was moved cause thought as it concerned site policy it could work better and maybe draw more response and also more use of the "source news and info" section.

Thinking was that by moving such posts to "source news and info", people would be more aware that there is a section for this sort of thing and if need be encourage members to discuss freely such points.

Forum is all about discussion and most times that do move topics, the main reason is to encourage this. Grouping posts by their content as well is also done for this reason, so people can quickly find what they are interested in.

Know the freebasing section was called a sort of "get rid" of area, but its not.

Have two seperate sections as many people come here for different things at different times and so can jump into what they want as quick as possible. And at times, posts in freebasing do get more front page exposure.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, so are suggestions, questions, thoughts, views and so on.One reason encourage this , is as with all things internet, it is easy for misunderstandings or wrong impressions to be given or took the wrong way and hopefully once aware can at least pass on our thinking behind actions if needed, such as in this case.

On the posting of auction links, well events on sunday did sort of demo, that we need to look at this and so will post up later

Thanks for views Pete as always say, members views etc always welcome and appreciated :thumbsup:

mike

Social source share

Pete and all memebrs

Was moved  cause thought as it concerned site policy it could work better and maybe draw more response and also more  use of the "source news and info" section.

Thinking was that by moving such posts to "source news and info", people would be more aware that there is a section for this sort of thing and if need be encourage members to discuss freely such points.

Forum is all about discussion and most times that do move topics, the main reason is to  encourage this. Grouping posts by their content as well  is also done for this reason, so people can quickly find what they are interested in.

Know the freebasing section was called a sort of "get rid" of area, but its not.

Have two seperate sections as many people come here for different things at different times and so can jump into what they want as quick as possible. And at times, posts in freebasing do get more front page exposure.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, so are suggestions, questions, thoughts, views and so on.One reason encourage this , is as with all things internet, it is easy for misunderstandings or wrong impressions to be given or took the wrong way and hopefully once aware can at least pass on our thinking behind actions if needed, such as in this case.

On the posting of auction links, well events on sunday did sort of demo, that we need to look at this and so will post up later

Thanks for views Pete as always say, members views etc always welcome and appreciated :rolleyes:

mike

link

I guess I'm the sort of 'spammer' you guys are talking about. I've posted a number of auctions & sales in the 'for sale' section. I haven't made any posts otherwise. I've been a long time lurker on this site, and really enjoy all the information & discussion. I just haven't felt like posting anything myself, my bad I guess. I didn't know that I would have to be a regular poster to advertise stuff for sale in the sales section. From what I saw there were no rules that I was breaking, or I woudn't have posted there to begin with.

I love soul music, and fund my buying by selling off stuff on eBay & Gemm. Most of the stuff I sell on Ebay is all priced with Buy It Nows, so I thought it's a bit of an equivilant to a set sale.

I just thought that people who enjoy the same types of music that I like might be interested in looking at some cheap (and hopefully good) records for sale.

Sorry if I've come off as a spammer, I'm not, just a lurker who thought posting records for sale in the records for sale section would be OK. If it's not I'll stop, but you should make it more clear what the terms or conditions are, or that you need some minimum amount of posts before or other people will be pissed off by your posts.

Anyways, I'm happy to join this discussion, and thanks to everyone involved with this website!

Social source share

I guess I'm the sort of 'spammer' you guys are talking about. I've posted a number of auctions & sales in the 'for sale' section. I haven't made any posts otherwise. I've been a long time lurker on this site, and really enjoy all the information & discussion. I just haven't felt like posting anything myself, my bad I guess.  I didn't know that I would have to be a regular poster to advertise stuff for sale in the sales section.  From what I saw there were no rules that I was breaking, or I woudn't have posted there to begin with.

I love soul music, and fund my buying by selling off stuff on eBay & Gemm. Most of the stuff I sell on Ebay is all priced with Buy It Nows, so I thought it's a bit of an equivilant to a set sale.

I just thought that people who enjoy the same types of music that I like might be interested in looking at some cheap (and hopefully good) records for sale.

Sorry if I've come off as a spammer, I'm not, just a lurker who thought posting records for sale in the records for sale section would be OK. If it's not I'll stop, but you should make it more clear what the terms or conditions are, or that you need some minimum amount of posts before or other people will be pissed off by your posts.

Anyways, I'm happy to join this discussion, and thanks to everyone involved with this website!

link

thanks for reply

looking at tightening up on ebay and such, hard one to call as there's wide range of posters, again its the real spammers who mess it up for everyone else

will push up guidelines in the sales forum once sorted

Social source share

IMO can't see a problem, always find it interesting what price stuff is going for on ebay, often makes me laugh, brightens up the day.

If we start putting restrictions up for one thing, then people will start asking for restrictions on another.

Keep the site open, free of restrictions, otherwise members will soon lose interest.

JM

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

IMO can't see a problem, always find it interesting what price stuff is going for on ebay, often makes me laugh, brightens up the day.

If we start putting restrictions up for one thing, then people will start asking for restrictions on another. 

Keep the site open, free of restrictions, otherwise members will soon lose interest.

JM

link

Agree with John M, lack of quantity of postings shouldnt make someone feel they cant use site. what about the non-soul content on here could we stop that too?

If everyone posted regularly we would get information overload and site might possibly become a victim of its own success.

Sniffin u dont seem such a bad person :(

Danny D

Social source share

Agree with John M, lack of quantity of postings shouldnt make someone feel they cant use site. what about the non-soul content on here could we stop that too?

If everyone posted regularly we would get information overload and site might possibly become a victim of its own success.

Sniffin u dont seem such a bad person  :(

Danny D

link

Danny

post was done at time when just had someone "masking" ebay links which if followed led you to some crap cd sales

some blank ebay link posters were defintely just spamming the site, not all of them but a fair few

end of day it takes 30 seconds to cut and paste info in a post about what you actually have on ebay on offer

which is a lot more worthwhile than seeing loads of "ending soon" posts with no hint of what is on offer

sales section does now have a sub-ebay section for blank ones

while proper sales inc ebay posts are more than welcome in main

on "restrictions" bit ... errrr sorry but just dont get john mays point or reason for posting it in this thread as talking bout ebay

Social source share

Hi Mike

maybe i was too tired as i see it, thread started more about a proposal about use of site for sales restricted to regular users not about masked ebay links.

tho yes if people have started spamming sight then we need guidelines... but hope proper ebay link is kept open to all approved soul sourcers. (maybe move sales to members area?)

err not sure if above is right on this thread :thumbsup:

seasons greetings

Danny D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!